The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 10:10:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 10:10:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite TV Shows  (Read 26092 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #30: September 15, 2008, 10:00:06 am »

We have threads dedicated to favorite movies, bands and songs, but I noticed that we have none for favorite TV shows.

So what are your favorite TV shows?

There are only two shows I feel I need to watch every week, House and Ghost Hunters.  I do enjoy the CSIs, Law & Orders, and Futurama on occasion. 

I saw the first episode of Fringe last night; anybody else see it?  It is reminiscent of The X-Files, which was one of my favorite shows, way back in the day.  It has me interested enough to watch the next episode, but so far I'm not convinced it will make it.  The main charecter is pretty lame.  In fact, the crazy guy is the only real interesting charecter so far.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: September 15, 2008, 10:10:45 am »

I saw the first episode of Fringe last night; anybody else see it?  It is reminiscent of The X-Files, which was one of my favorite shows, way back in the day.  It has me interested enough to watch the next episode, but so far I'm not convinced it will make it.  The main charecter is pretty lame.  In fact, the crazy guy is the only real interesting charecter so far.

I watched about half of it and gave up.  I was BORED.

It's like they took a random selection of X-files things and tried to turn it into a show, and forgot the concept of characterization or something.  yaaaaaawn.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: September 15, 2008, 10:38:06 am »

I watched about half of it and gave up.  I was BORED.

It's like they took a random selection of X-files things and tried to turn it into a show, and forgot the concept of characterization or something.  yaaaaaawn.

My favorite X-Files shows were the ones that didn't involve aliens.  It was good that they gave the alien-government conspiracy theory a rest once in awhile, to keep things fresh. 

The Massive Dynamics conspiracy theory plot of Fringe seems like it could get old quick, especially with a lack of interesting charecters.  So we'll see.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: September 15, 2008, 11:04:50 am »

My favorite X-Files shows were the ones that didn't involve aliens.  It was good that they gave the alien-government conspiracy theory a rest once in awhile, to keep things fresh. 

The Massive Dynamics conspiracy theory plot of Fringe seems like it could get old quick, especially with a lack of interesting charecters.  So we'll see.

I wasn't even thinking of the alien thing - I wasn't thrilled by the conspiracy angle either.

I'm just thinking of stuff like interpersonal dynamics - there was NO sense that these were real people actually interacting and giving a damn, or hating each other, or whatever.  They were just flat.

You'd think a woman that had just lost her boyfriend to maybe-death and was fighting to save his life would have more EMOTION!  she had great lines and delivered them so flatly .. and the response was flat .. all flat.  yuck.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #34: September 15, 2008, 11:26:23 am »

I wasn't even thinking of the alien thing - I wasn't thrilled by the conspiracy angle either.
I was referring to the aliens in the X-Files.  There were no aliens in Fringe, but there was the conspiracy angle.

You'd think a woman that had just lost her boyfriend to maybe-death and was fighting to save his life would have more EMOTION!  she had great lines and delivered them so flatly .. and the response was flat .. all flat.  yuck.
She did a good job of being pouty and sorry for herself.  It got old quick.  I was hoping she'd toughen up and get angry instead. 

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: September 15, 2008, 11:34:26 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.  I occasionally joke that the stuff that happens in the show is just what they tell people.  The show is actually about a closeted gay couple who pretend to be brothers. :p

Hee!  You should see the fanfiction.  And I love how the homoeroticism is acknowledged and played with on the show; it's a running bit that they keep getting taken for a couple.   One of the head writers said her vision of the series was "the epic love story of Sam and Dean."  Cheesy 
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: September 15, 2008, 11:56:15 am »

Hee!  You should see the fanfiction.  And I love how the homoeroticism is acknowledged and played with on the show; it's a running bit that they keep getting taken for a couple.   One of the head writers said her vision of the series was "the epic love story of Sam and Dean."  Cheesy 

Lol.  And yeah, they do play with it on the show, and it's one of the things I like.  It's a pretty playful series.

Plus, you know.  Jensen Ackles.  <daydreams>

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: September 15, 2008, 12:44:41 pm »

Hubby and GeekyFriend and I were talking about it when I first discovered the rumour, and we think they face serious problems with casting just about everyone except Ein.  (Although Ed does have her particular challenges above and beyond the rest, I'll admit.)  I'm just really, really hoping this is not true.  Bebop is fine just the way it is; Keanu or no Keanu, there's no need to screw with it by trying to make some sort of live action travesty.

Heck, I think I'd be suspicious even of another animated movie right now.  The story is complete, or as much so as it needs to be.  Let it be.  (But if you have to mess with it--live action?  Seriously?  Why?)

This also relates to my extreme suspicions regarding Avatar: The Last Airbender (one of my very favourite cartoons on Nick) being optioned as a live-action movie, directed by none other than M. Night Shyamalan. (If anyone has seen this show besides me, they will understand my WTF? response) Avatar, just as much as Bebop, belongs in the animated realm only. Furthermore, Night would bring nothing to the show--he's all wrong for it.

I agree. Just let the thing be, and let not our images of it be marred by Neo running around pretending to be awesome.  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #38: September 15, 2008, 12:48:23 pm »

I agree. Just let the thing be, and let not our images of it be marred by Neo running around pretending to be awesome.  Tongue

Well, the live action Anime genre has actually been popular in Japan for a while now (I even have copies of the two live-action Death Note movies, though I've not had the courage to watch them yet), and movies like Casshern and The Returner certainly have their roots in anime.

I still can't believe that the first anime Hollywood decided to attempt as live action is Dragon Ball, though.  Of all the anime I would never expect to see live, that one's got to be close to the top.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: September 15, 2008, 12:51:47 pm »

I still can't believe that the first anime Hollywood decided to attempt as live action is Dragon Ball, though.  Of all the anime I would never expect to see live, that one's got to be close to the top.

Oh lord, I forgot about that--what is it going to be, three hours of Goku powering up and staring down the latest challenger bent on conquering the universe? Super-Sayan times 5!  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: September 15, 2008, 01:06:17 pm »

Lol.  And yeah, they do play with it on the show, and it's one of the things I like.  It's a pretty playful series.

Plus, you know.  Jensen Ackles.  <daydreams>

I don't think Jensen Ackles is human.  He's just *too pretty*.  (My husband, on seeing the first episode, sat there with his mouth hanging open, and finally stuttered out that JA was the hottest man he had ever seen.)   Worse, he comes across, in interviews, as smart, rather dorky, and shy, and that's just not freaking FAIR.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: September 15, 2008, 01:20:35 pm »

I don't think Jensen Ackles is human.  He's just *too pretty*.  (My husband, on seeing the first episode, sat there with his mouth hanging open, and finally stuttered out that JA was the hottest man he had ever seen.)   Worse, he comes across, in interviews, as smart, rather dorky, and shy, and that's just not freaking FAIR.

Yeah.  Life is endlessly cruel.

Bizaarely my boyfriend prefers Jared Padlecki (and he has a go at me if I use a non-Polish pronunciation.)

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: September 15, 2008, 01:26:57 pm »

Oh lord, I forgot about that--what is it going to be, three hours of Goku powering up and staring down the latest challenger bent on conquering the universe? Super-Sayan times 5!  Tongue

You know, I was a fan of Dragonball during my teens, but this hurts my head.  Cheesy and animated does not translate well to live-action. 

Same for Avatar- my husband and I own the DVDs and enjoy them, but I cringe when I hear rumors of live-action movies.  Yuck.

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: September 15, 2008, 01:59:36 pm »

My favorite X-Files was the one with Peter Boyle in it, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose.  But any of the ones that were more on humor, less on grey aliens I really enjoyed.

That's a mindbender.   Shocked   Ka Meh Ha Meh HAAA!!   Grin

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #44: September 15, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »

My favorite X-Files was the one with Peter Boyle in it, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

That was an excellent episode.  I think my favorite episode was the spoof on old horror comics, though, The Post-Modern Prometheus.  It was a lot of fun to see The X-Files paying tribute to the campy old "B" movies that inspired a lot of their material.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)