The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:28:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:28:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Desk Shrines/Altars  (Read 8093 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: September 19, 2008, 01:00:46 pm »

We've had threads before dealing with altars in small spaces, portable altars, altars at college, etc., but just now I'm specifically curious about what people have going on at work.  I know I've heard of people having small unobtrusive altars or shrines set up in their workspace.  Do you have something like that?  If so, how is it set up?

I have a little sun-shrine:  a Sun tarot card that Hubby picked up for me at Comicon, a printout of more or less the same graphic I use as my avatar here (but minus the flames in the center), a couple of health-cause-related lapel pins, and a copy of this are pinned to my cubicle wall, and an LED pillar candle sits below them.

At one point I also had made an attempt to put up elemental representations on the four walls of my cube--fire is kind of obvious, I think, and then I had an enamel butterfly pin for air and a sticker with the Japanese kanji for "water" that I used for...  er, water.  I can't remember what I used for earth.  I think I did that more for the hell of it than for any particular religious/magical purpose, though, since I haven't done much elemental work for quite a while, and as I've rearranged things most of those representations have gotten shoved into one big group of "personal decorations" (family photos, cartoons, etc.) on one wall.  So I guess they don't so much count...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 19, 2008, 01:12:14 pm »

Oooh!  I don't have anything yet to contribute, but thank you for the reminder that people can and do have shrines/altars/etc. set up at work.  I have a large, more-or-less private (I can shut the door, but have a large window that people walking down the hall could see into if they leaned over) space.  I've been thinking about office decor, and a small altar/shrine would make me feel much more settled in here.  (Also, I can pretty much have it however I want, short of, like, animal sacrifices; everyone expects academics to be eccentric!)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: September 19, 2008, 01:15:06 pm »

Well, it's difficult at my work.
Can you believe that I wished I had a cubicle?

We have tables like clovershaped? 4 People sitting around.
The 'walls' between are not worth the name and you're sitting in plain sight of somebody - no matter where you are sitting.
It really goes on my nerves.

Well I do have a snailshouse and some feathers in a cup, where I put pens.
I bring the one or the other gemstone with me - but that's about it...

I love the little comic strip btw - it's really cute.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: September 19, 2008, 01:29:01 pm »

Oooh!  I don't have anything yet to contribute, but thank you for the reminder that people can and do have shrines/altars/etc. set up at work.  I have a large, more-or-less private (I can shut the door, but have a large window that people walking down the hall could see into if they leaned over) space.  I've been thinking about office decor, and a small altar/shrine would make me feel much more settled in here.

Well, even if you don't have one set up yet, what kind of altar/shrine do you think you might set up in the future?  Smiley

(Also, I can pretty much have it however I want, short of, like, animal sacrifices; everyone expects academics to be eccentric!)

Lucky you.  My workplace is, to put it mildly, conservative; I feel like I have to keep it pretty subtle.  Then again, this may be a misperception.  I was kind of nervous about the tarot card, but brought it in anyway because this just felt like where it belonged.  No one's said anything about it yet; in fact, my map of the Internet poster (with handy "you are here, or maybe here, or possibly here" locators) gets more attention and more "wow, you're weird" looks.  (Of course, it's also many times the size of the card and in a more visible location.)

Do you see yourself, because of this freedom, putting together a little more involved/larger thing than just a corner of your desk set aside for a few small things?  Or do you think you'll still go small and subtle anyway?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: September 19, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

We have tables like clovershaped? 4 People sitting around.
The 'walls' between are not worth the name and you're sitting in plain sight of somebody - no matter where you are sitting.
It really goes on my nerves.

Ouch.  And I thought I had it bad with a cube that forces me to sit with my back to the door so anyone can sneak up on me.  My sympathies.

Well I do have a snailshouse and some feathers in a cup, where I put pens.
I bring the one or the other gemstone with me - but that's about it...

Do these things have any particular meaning or significance?

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: September 19, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »

Ouch.  And I thought I had it bad with a cube that forces me to sit with my back to the door so anyone can sneak up on me.  My sympathies.

Thanks Wink

Do these things have any particular meaning or significance?

I'm sorry, I seem to be a bit incoherent these days *sigh*

Yes I found them - or in other words, was presented with them (my pov at least).
Just outside the building is a lot of green and a bench. Sometimes I sit there and feed some bread to the bunnies (plenty of those around) and birds and so the snailhouse and the feathers remind me of my connection to Earthmama and her beings.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: September 19, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »

I'm sorry, I seem to be a bit incoherent these days *sigh*

Oh, no, I didn't think you were incoherent--I was curious for more details, was all.  Smiley  (And as far as coherency goes, I'm surprised I managed to get the question out coherently, today.  LOL)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 19, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »

We've had threads before dealing with altars in small spaces, portable altars, altars at college, etc., but just now I'm specifically curious about what people have going on at work.  I know I've heard of people having small unobtrusive altars or shrines set up in their workspace.  Do you have something like that?  If so, how is it set up?

Well, I work from home so I don't have to be covert  Grin    But I like the creativity of those posting who have to be subtle!
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 19, 2008, 09:39:08 pm »

I know I've heard of people having small unobtrusive altars or shrines set up in their workspace.  Do you have something like that?  If so, how is it set up?

I'm still a little nervous about my current office -- there are only 3 of us in the office, so it's very intimate.  So, even though I have my own, private office with a door and everything, I'm still not ready to be too obvious. 

I haven't had a "shrine" or "altar", per se, in my office.  It's more or less a few objects that help to keep me mindful of Brighid and of certain concepts.

I do have a small LED candle (votive size) that sits under my computer monitor, so it's practically invisible to anyone but me.  And I have a pipe-cleaner Brighid's cross over my door, and a glass "evil eye" next to the door frame.  Nobody notices them because they're behind people who walk into my office, and nobody ever looks up as they walk out.  I also have several crystals and spheres on my desk and shelves, but those are more for decoration than anything.

In my old office, I had those things, as well as some more overtly "pagan" things, like a wall sculpture of a Celtic cross with each season depicted on one of the arms.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: September 20, 2008, 06:27:40 am »

I'm still a little nervous about my current office -- there are only 3 of us in the office, so it's very intimate.  So, even though I have my own, private office with a door and everything, I'm still not ready to be too obvious. 

I don't think that obvious needs to equal obvious Wink

The other day I've seen a shrine somebody has at work. It was a pretty statue, a small roomfountain, a vase with flowers and a candle.
It looked just lovely and you can always cover something like that up with 'oh just a bit feng shui I've read about'.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 20, 2008, 10:50:33 am »

I don't have an office right now, but my whole classroom is more or less an altar, if you know how to see that kind of thing, and I do magic at work pretty frequently (but not so anyone would know, except maybe the other witches there). One of the cool things about being a classroom teacher is that so much of what I teach, particularly in science, is sacred to me. I have stuff on the walls and around the room that is not overtly pagan-indeed, a lot of it is overtly Jewish, since I work at a temple, but it speaks to me spiritually. For ex. the kids have a daily circle time activity of marking the days on the Hebrew calendar, which is lunar, so we track the phases of the moon daily, and do a lot of of other moon-related activities.

At my last job, I shared an office, but a windowsill altar sort of evolved over time on it's own b/c I am kind of an altar-creating person. I have little collections of stuff all over the place. A co-worker gave me a little wooden statue of a dancing dakini, and pretty soon she had offerings of candy and flowers and stones and feathers all around her, and then at holiday time a kid gave me a pretty candle and another gave me a pretty scarf and...I had an altar. It was a French school, and no one ever said a word to me about it. The French, as a culture generally, are awesome at not batting an eye at individual weirdnesses as long as you get your work done and don't make a mess.

There are also a lot of good ideas for work altars in Chrisopher Penzack's book "City Magick"

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 20, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »

I haven't had a "shrine" or "altar", per se, in my office.  It's more or less a few objects that help to keep me mindful of Brighid and of certain concepts.
Back when I was in the cube farm and was working a lot with Brighid, I had a short prayer to Her in gaelic pinned up on the wall.  Next to it was a small toy cow that one of our vendors had given to everyone in our department.

Most of our department was Catholic and knew I had Irish ancestry, so when anyone asked what the gaelic said I could tell them the truth and they all assumed I meant the saint.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: September 21, 2008, 06:20:05 am »

Most of our department was Catholic and knew I had Irish ancestry, so when anyone asked what the gaelic said I could tell them the truth and they all assumed I meant the saint.

Clever cover *g*

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 21, 2008, 07:13:10 pm »

I'm currently unemployed (but hopes not to be soon), but at school there wouldn't be anywhere to put a shrine seeing as how the classroom I'm at most is a busy kitchen (same applies to any job I get).  And I don't have a locker and wouldn't really use one if I did.

I was thinking about framing a copy of this poem I wrote and hanging it above my desk at home.  I don't see how anything else would work because there isn't enough room at and around my desk for more altar-y stuff.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 21, 2008, 11:41:20 pm »

Do you have something like that?  If so, how is it set up?

I became Pagan while at my internship a few years ago, and I had some nifty rocks on my desk, mostly for grounding and harmonious energy at work.  Also, they looked neat.  Smiley  At my last design job before moving, I had a moonstone by my monitor in honor of Djehuty.  Other than that, I either haven't had a desk or haven't been there too long (I just finished a temp assignment, for example.)  When I get a full-time design job, I definitely want to have something for Djehuty, since I consider Him the patron of my profession (UPG here).  It's pretty common for designers to have action figures and various interesting and weird stuff in their work areas, so a little statue might not get too many funny looks.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)