The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:48:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:48:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Prompt #2: Awen Symbol  (Read 12389 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Topic Start: September 20, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »

Since we're about modern practice as much as ancient, I thought we could talk about a modern symbol: the neo-druidic symbol for awen. Awen is a Welsh word/concept for truth and poetic inspiration.

• Do you use the above symbol in your practice?
  • What does it symbolize for you?
  • If you do not use it, is there a specific reason why not?
  • More generally, how do you feel about modern symbols?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Gloriana
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 12, 2009, 04:24:19 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 23, 2008, 08:05:01 pm »

It represents female genetalia, and is half of the symbol used by the 1734 tradition, to me anyway.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: September 23, 2008, 09:25:36 pm »

It represents female genetalia, and is half of the symbol used by the 1734 tradition, to me anyway.

Isn't the 1734 tradition a Wiccan tradition?  What does that have to do with Celtic Polytheism?

Also, can you please point me to a source for your statement that the Awen symbol represents female genitalia?  I've never heard that before.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Rorigon
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 18, 2011, 01:11:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 23, 2008, 10:59:42 pm »

1. Nope.   In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it before.   Actually, I probably have, just didn't let it sink in.

2. As I've just seen it, nothing.   However for some reason it looks sci-fi to me.

3. I'd say that it's cause I haven't seen it before.    Cheesy

4. I think that if a symbol works for you, you should use it.  They're symbols, and have no intrinsic meaning or value, just that which you apply to it.

I identify most with spiraled Triskelions(like the ones found at Newgrange, myself.
    Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
    Assistant Board Coordinator
    Senior Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
    Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
    TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: September 23, 2008, 11:51:10 pm »

Isn't the 1734 tradition a Wiccan tradition?  What does that have to do with Celtic Polytheism?

Also, can you please point me to a source for your statement that the Awen symbol represents female genitalia?  I've never heard that before.

I believe 1734 is one of several groups (inspired by Robert Cochrane, I think) that considers itself Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft.  They often take exception to being linked with Wicca.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
    - Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
    SunflowerP
    Staff
    Grand Adept Member
    Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
    Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
    TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 24, 2008, 12:47:46 am »

I believe 1734 is one of several groups (inspired by Robert Cochrane, I think) that considers itself Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft.  They often take exception to being linked with Wicca.
    Yep, it's one of the Cochranist TIW trads.  Several of its lines, though, have adopted quite a bit of Wiccan material, and some consider the word "Wicca" to apply to them - the Cochranists, and 1734 in particular, are quite definitely religious Witchcraft (which not all TIW are).  That's often pretty much in the sense of "all surviving traditions of the Old Religion of Witchcraft can call themselves by the old name" so it's dependent on that doubtful history; otherwise, it's much the same broad usage as in "Eclectic Wicca", where "Wicca" is simply a word for religious Witchcraft based in or derived from the folklore of Britain.

The closest thing I could find to a 1734-related usage of a symbol that the Awen might look like half of is here - the second one is a Tarot card (Wands, and I think the six though it's not easy to make out - I'm not recalling what deck that is but I feel like I should know); the first one doesn't appear anywhere else on that site, nor did I see it in a quick look at any other 1734-related site in my links, so I'd hesitate to identify it as a 1734 symbol; it could be decorative and/or personal.

Gloriana, do you have any links or other references that would elaborate/clarify?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
    darkwhispersdale
    Senior Apprentice
    Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
    « Reply #6: September 24, 2008, 01:12:24 pm »

I've never seen this symbol before either so I don't use it obviously.
    It reminds me of the symbol used in a Baldur's Gate game to represent heavenly strength (and other tempory abilities).
    It's a nice symbol but it makes me think of RPG so I wouldn't use it (besides I played a better druid than a cleric in that game :-)). Symbols are useful for some people I don't use them.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
    HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
    Assistant Board Coordinator
    Senior Staff
    Grand Adept Member
    Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
    TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 24, 2008, 01:25:47 pm »

Darkwhisperdale, please remember to use the quote function - even if it's in response to the first post.  Thank you.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
    Tana
    Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
    Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: September 24, 2008, 02:14:02 pm »

And I definatly don't see this.

Besides this, I've seen the symbol in different places, but it's on the back of the Celtic Animal Oracle Cards I have. So that's probably the first place I've noticed it at all.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
    Gloriana
    Senior Newbie
    Last Login:February 12, 2009, 04:24:19 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
    « Reply #9: September 25, 2008, 01:17:43 am »

Yep, it's one of the Cochranist TIW trads.  Several of its lines, though, have adopted quite a bit of Wiccan material, and some consider the word "Wicca" to apply to them - the Cochranists, and 1734 in particular, are quite definitely religious Witchcraft (which not all TIW are).  That's often pretty much in the sense of "all surviving traditions of the Old Religion of Witchcraft can call themselves by the old name" so it's dependent on that doubtful history; otherwise, it's much the same broad usage as in "Eclectic Wicca", where "Wicca" is simply a word for religious Witchcraft based in or derived from the folklore of Britain.

The closest thing I could find to a 1734-related usage of a symbol that the Awen might look like half of is here - the second one is a Tarot card (Wands, and I think the six though it's not easy to make out - I'm not recalling what deck that is but I feel like I should know); the first one doesn't appear anywhere else on that site, nor did I see it in a quick look at any other 1734-related site in my links, so I'd hesitate to identify it as a 1734 symbol; it could be decorative and/or personal.

Gloriana, do you have any links or other references that would elaborate/clarify?

Sunflower

Yup Smiley

The correspondence between joe wilson and Robert cochrane (aka Roy Bowers). http://www.cyberwitch.com/bowers/

The relevant page is about 7th out of the 31.
    SunflowerP
    Staff
    Grand Adept Member
    Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
    Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
    TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 25, 2008, 05:59:24 am »

Yup Smiley

The correspondence between joe wilson and Robert cochrane (aka Roy Bowers). http://www.cyberwitch.com/bowers/
    Ah, I didn't dig deep enough - thanks.

As is pretty usual with Cochrane, he doesn't really explain it very well.  I'm not sure to what extent it is/was a trad symbol per se or something Cochrane used as a more personal sigil, except that (IMO) it can be identified with the "witches' foot" mentioned by Doreen Valiente (I think in Witchcraft for Tomorrow, and/or The ABCs of Witchcraft, and possibly other places; I don't recall for certain) as resembling the peace symbol, which she describes simply as "a witch symbol", not as something specific to any trad/line of witchcraft.

I'm being a bit pedantic here, I think because I read "the symbol used by the 1734 tradition" to imply "used to symbolize the tradition", which may not have been your intent (a matter of definite vs indefinite article:  "the symbol" suggests a prominence/precedence that "a symbol" wouldn't).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
    Áine
    Adept Member
    Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
    TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
    « Reply #11: October 06, 2008, 11:32:13 am »

When I think of the word "Awen", I think of a bird bath.  I saw an exercise on the internet a few years ago in which the person would circle a bird bath chanting "Awen" nine times.  I don't remember why now, but at the time, it seemed like a cool idea. 

Modern symbols are kinda weird at first and you have to get used to them.  I think they're fine, after all, how do ancient symbols become ancient, if not they weren't modern at one point? 

*Síocháin*
      dragonfaerie
      Coffee Goddess
      Adept Member
      Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
      TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
      « Reply #12: October 09, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »

I've seen it before, with my (limited) work with Ar nDraiocht Fein (accents deliberately omitted... I don't feel like hunting for the keys...)

I don't have an immediate resonance with the symbol, but it could symbolize the Earth/Sky/Sea triad that's so prevalent in Celtic mythology. Looking at your definition, I can see that it might show the flow of creativity between us and the gods. The gods being the dots... wash creativity down to us (the light stripes) and we in turn feed it back to them (the black lines that almost look like arrows pointing upwards to the dots).

I don't use the symbol in my practice because it just doesn't resonate with me on a basic level the way the pentacle or the triskele does. But I have no particular issue with creating modern symbols to illustrate our neoPagan ways. After all, someone created the older symbols (whether it was a single point creation or a slowly evolving group work, it was still created by people at some point.)

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
      Read my journal!
      Today's Mood Forecast:
      Fanboy's Convention List
      Sylvan
      Journeyman
      Last Login:June 10, 2011, 08:37:24 am

Religion: Currently reevaluating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
      « Reply #13: October 21, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

Since we're about modern practice as much as ancient, I thought we could talk about a modern symbol: the neo-druidic symbol for awen. Awen is a Welsh word/concept for truth and poetic inspiration.

I don't use this symbol in my practice, but I know that OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates, & Druids) uses it, http://www.druidry.org/.  I'm not involved with that organization, but since that's the first place I remember seeing it, I always think of them when I do.
      rivertree
      Last Login:August 22, 2010, 08:34:32 pm

Religion: Modern Druidry w/Recon Leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
      « Reply #14: October 21, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »

Hi.  I'm new.

1 - Yes, I do, in a number of forms (I normally omit the three rings, and often the dots, depending on context)

2 - Um, stream of consciousness here...

• The three rays can symbolize blessings flowing from the Gods, the Spirits, and the Ancestors (symbolized by the three dots)
        • As above, but with the three dots symbolizing the Fire, the Well, and the Tree (I'm not a member, but I've been influenced by ADF)
        • The three rays can symbolize the shadow cast by a gnomon at sunrise/noon/sunset or solstice/equinox/solstice, and thus the importance of cycles
        • The three rays remind me of the light that filters through the branches to the forest floor - reminding me of the importance of both shadow and light
        • The three rays remind me of the fingers of a river delta, creating new land from the matter absorbed earlier in the river's flow - which I find apt for a revival/recon/rekindling sort of path

I could go on, but I'd hate to bore you too much with my first post.

3 - Well, N/A in my case.  Since it appears to have originated with Iolo and his Barddas, I think it's understandable that some would avoid it.

4 - If it's meaningful, then I have no problem at all with a modern symbol.  If done well, I think that creating modern symbols is a good way of honoring those that came before - sort of bringing their inspiration and influence to fruition.

/|\Rivertree

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
        Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
          Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
          Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
        In a forum
        (BBCode)
        In a site/blog
        (HTML)