The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2021, 02:12:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 02:12:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Up  (Read 2333 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 23, 2008, 02:57:28 pm »

I’m nineteen, and I have a lot of growing up to do, (big surprise right?) both as a person, and spiritually, and I’ve found that my spiritual life has really pushed me to grow up in ways I don’t think I would have.

I’m your typical two-faced Gemini; I’m perfectly capable of getting along with people, and am doing well in college (Just got accepted into the National Leadership Somethig-or-other… Grades based…) but, who I am with strangers and who I am with my spiritual partner are two totally different people, I am my own evil twin. I get mean and short-sighted, I like to throw blame around, and I hold on to spiteful things far past their relevancy.

I’m working on it, I’m trying to get better, because of my spiritual life. I have very little incentive to change for my human family, they could happily ignore me no matter how I was behaving. But I came to the sudden and startling realization that my spiritual partner was actually listening, which for me was huge, and it has encouraged me to try and be a better person on the inside too. I like that, I like having someone there that whenever I see him it reminds me to be a better person.

I want to be good for him.

Does your practice make you a better person? Do you feel you’ve grown emotionally since becoming pagan?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: September 23, 2008, 03:06:28 pm »

Does your practice make you a better person? Do you feel you’ve grown emotionally since becoming pagan?

I made the move to Paganism at around 20 (I'm now 28).  I find it difficult to answer this question in the sense you mean it, because...  Well, yeah, I have, but I was 20.  I had, as you note, a lot of growing and maturing to do regardless of religion or spirituality or anything like that.  I think I have grown a lot since then, but it's really difficult for me to separate out how much of it was a result of religious stuff and how much was just plain gaining more life experience and maturity as a natural result of having been alive longer.

I will say that my religious explorations have definitely been a part of the process I've gone through to get to who I am today.  I'm not certain, however, that I wouldn't have taken a different route to the same end if I had been in a different religious situation (either a different religion, or living relatively religion-free).

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 24, 2008, 05:02:20 pm »

I’m nineteen, and I have a lot of growing up to do, (big surprise right?) both as a person, and spiritually, and I’ve found that my spiritual life has really pushed me to grow up in ways I don’t think I would have.

I’m your typical two-faced Gemini; I’m perfectly capable of getting along with people, and am doing well in college (Just got accepted into the National Leadership Somethig-or-other… Grades based…) but, who I am with strangers and who I am with my spiritual partner are two totally different people, I am my own evil twin. I get mean and short-sighted, I like to throw blame around, and I hold on to spiteful things far past their relevancy.

I’m working on it, I’m trying to get better, because of my spiritual life. I have very little incentive to change for my human family, they could happily ignore me no matter how I was behaving. But I came to the sudden and startling realization that my spiritual partner was actually listening, which for me was huge, and it has encouraged me to try and be a better person on the inside too. I like that, I like having someone there that whenever I see him it reminds me to be a better person.

AIONIA, I must say I am surprised and proud that at ninteen you've decided you should to grow up, that the decision wasn't based on something that you had to do. Some people to this day still refuse to grow up.

I, myself had to grow up when I was younger for circumstances I'll not go into publicly. I grew up even more when I had my child. This is one of those circumstances where you're forced to grow up. I'm loving every minute of it though.

I wouldn't say I grew up since becoming Wiccan. When I first started to study I assumed that I was a witch just from reading a book and doing a few spells (which backfired) I took a break from Wicca. I still claimed I was Wiccan but hadn't studied in several years.

I believe I have grown up in the last three years. I started to study my religion more, I started marking down the festivals on my calanders (though I still haven't practiced a ritual), I started working with deities, and I even dedicated myself into my craft. I'm still not initiated yet, I don't feel that I'm ready to take that step at this time.

When I dedicated myself back in March it was the best thing I think I've ever done spiritually.

Growing up is hard to do, but when you've got people who love you and support you it's a lot easier.

Best wishes in your journey to grow up and to be a better person. I'm so glad you've found such a wonderful spiritual partner. Let him know how much you appreciate him as often as you can. I hope you keep him around for a long while.

~Valkyriia~

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 24, 2008, 06:28:49 pm »

Like you and Star, I started practicing at a time I would be growing up anyway.  My Feri teacher focuses on becoming a spiritual adult though, and some of my Departmental work involves acknowledging growth and liminal times and stepping into power.

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 25, 2008, 10:45:05 am »

I think I've grown into a better person since I started into paganism. Well, not "since I started", more "since I found out I wasn't the only one".

I used to be completely lost before. I had a moral code, the one I grew up with, but I wasn't feeling fine about it, because it came mainly from Catholicism, so I did stupid things and had a really bad behavior. When I started reading about Wicca, my world views changed drastically(sp?). It helped me a lot and changed me completely.

I think I'm still growing up, even 10 years later. I keep on changing, but trying to be a better person every time. And a lot of it is related to my spiritual life. Smiley

Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 25, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

I came into Paganism and Witchcraft during my early twenties, a time where I was naturally taking on more responsibility for myself and maturing. Aionia, as a nineteen year old you are pretty much in the same position. You’re at the stage of life where one would mature, regardless of your religion.

For me, my religion and practices matured along with me. I gave up the sparkly images I had in my head and dealt with real life. It was a package deal; I couldn’t develop in one aspect of my life without all the other’s following along.  Paganism may have sway over how you mature and the ideals you develop and I think you are already ahead of the game just by realizing you have aspects that could use some work. But I don’t think there are any Pagan self-help books to follow here. You’re already doing fine.

nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 25, 2008, 02:04:50 pm »

Yes I believe that I have been more humbled and more patient with people who have problems,not just thinking and praying
 for myself and using my magic for good not evil and to listen to what others who are more experienced have to say.

My cats are my kids.
Lost-in-Translation
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 14, 2009, 04:59:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Look Within - Trust Within.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 26, 2008, 10:44:32 am »

oh most definately!!!!

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)