The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 05:18:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 05:18:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Designing or adapting spells by yourself  (Read 10128 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 26, 2008, 02:42:26 pm »

Any general advice what to watch out for? Are there specific phrases to avoid? Or specific contents necessary to include?

Do you self-design spells? (Which kind of or which kind not?)
How do you usually go about it? Are there specific steps you take? Things you prepare or consider first?
Do you work on them over a longer time period? Do you experiment and improve?
Have you ever spontanously designed a spell?

Do you feel more secure with self designed spells or with ones from a book/teacher/other source?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: September 26, 2008, 03:34:11 pm »

Any general advice what to watch out for? Are there specific phrases to avoid? Or specific contents necessary to include?

That depends a lot on the spell, on the way one works them and on the personal preferences.

'Yes' and 'all kinds of spells', whatever is necessary. Grounding spells, healing spells...

How do you usually go about it? Are there specific steps you take? Things you prepare or consider first?

I think about it, what I want to achieve, what would be the best way to achieve it, what tools I like to use.
I like writing spells in rhymes.

Usually I don't take a lot of time and experimenting is sure a part of it.

Yes. Takes me about 10 minutes usually Wink

Do you feel more secure with self designed spells or with ones from a book/teacher/other source?

I usually don't like to search in books for something fitting. It's easier to do it yourself.
But if I like a spell that I see somewhere I don't have a problem to use it/customize it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 26, 2008, 09:16:44 pm »

Yes I design my own spells,what to watch out for is the monkey paw syndrome , becareful of what you wish for, you just might get it,
so you would light a blue candle to avoid this on a new moon, also always light a white candle with your other colored candle to purify
your intention.I always have consistency with my spells, I always do them the same way every time even down to the same music
this will make your spells very strong over time, then you only have to do that same spell only some of the time.

My cats are my kids.
CrimsonSheep
Apprentice
Last Login:November 17, 2008, 10:55:06 pm

Religion: Irreligious agnostic theist

It's only as dark as you make it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 26, 2008, 09:37:47 pm »

so you would light a blue candle to avoid this on a new moon, also always light a white candle with your other colored candle to purify
your intention.
Eh... I personally wouldn't give this as advice for everyone, nor for every spell.
"Purify your intention" - what if the person's intentions aren't meant to be pure?
What if the person doesn't like or use candles or candle magic?

Also, wouldn't saying, "This must be done each time, always," go against the entire concept of designing one's own spell?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil for Thou art with me
Locked and loaded
Gonna find my truth
Now I'm busting through
All hell breaks loose
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 26, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »

Eh... I personally wouldn't give this as advice for everyone, nor for every spell.
"Purify your intention" - what if the person's intentions aren't meant to be pure?
What if the person doesn't like or use candles or candle magic?

Also, wouldn't saying, "This must be done each time, always," go against the entire concept of designing one's own spell?

Okay,okay purify intention is also a way of getting want you want out of a spell and not what you don't want, also I really believe for
instance if you do the spell alot , keep it the same if it worked before, why fool with perfection?

My cats are my kids.
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 27, 2008, 12:42:04 am »

I tend to design my own spells, using bits and pieces nicked from various sources; my originality is more in the way I combine things rather than in the things themselves.  This is pretty par for the course among those who practice folk magic -- you take the tried-and-true formulae, and adjust for your particular needs.  Like, a mojo bag is a mojo bag, and there are certain set techniques for creating and "feeding" it, but what you use, how you do it, what you put in it, what you do with it afterwards, etc. -- all vary a lot. 

I'd only really mess with particular... symbolic meanings if I had some compelling reason to, and my emotional/whatever investment in that ingredient's meaning overrode its traditional one.  I remember reading somewhere about someone adding a bay leaf to a "juice up your relationship" spell; bay is not usually associated with love and romance magic, but the spell worker had bitten into a bay leaf on her first date with her husband, so she always associated that plant with their relationship.  And that makes perfect sense to me.  But in general, I'm so invested in the folklore that I tend to stick with those meanings.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: September 27, 2008, 07:17:35 am »

I remember reading somewhere about someone adding a bay leaf to a "juice up your relationship" spell; bay is not usually associated with love and romance magic, but the spell worker had bitten into a bay leaf on her first date with her husband, so she always associated that plant with their relationship. 

And that's exactly why I said: it depends.
I use the 'usual' associations a lot - if they make sense to me and fit what I want to achieve.
I bet that bay leaf-thingy works for that woman perfectly - it wouldn't for me.

Yes I design my own spells,what to watch out for is the monkey paw syndrome , becareful of what you wish for, you just might get it,
your intention.I always have consistency with my spells, I always do them the same way every time even down to the same music
this will make your spells very strong over time, then you only have to do that same spell only some of the time.

Funny thought for me personally to have to 'purify my intention'. If I'm not sure in the time I'm in the preparation for my spell about what I intend and what I'm doing and if I'm ready and willing to accept the consequences - woah, than no white candle will do any good either.

I understand also the idea of repeating the same thing over and over and believing in it gaining power in that way.
Wouldn't feel right to me though, because I would end up 'going through the motions' which is quite deadly for the spell itself.
I rarely do the same spell twice anyway.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 28, 2008, 10:42:24 am »

To all:
Thanks for all the answers!

One thing that is bothering me is that I've heard you should avoid negative words like 'not' or words with negative meanings like: 'Goddess, protect me from sickness!' Does anyone here subscribe to that? Why?

How do you write banishing spells? How do you deal with the negativity? Could you say: 'Sickness be washed away by the autumn rain!' for example?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: September 28, 2008, 12:37:51 pm »

One thing that is bothering me is that I've heard you should avoid negative words like 'not' or words with negative meanings like: 'Goddess, protect me from sickness!' Does anyone here subscribe to that? Why?

How do you write banishing spells? How do you deal with the negativity? Could you say: 'Sickness be washed away by the autumn rain!' for example?

I think this originates from the idea, that the subconscious mind is like a dog and understands: You'll get a snack = You'll get no snack.
Only word the subconscious gets is 'snack' or 'sickness'  - buuuut I don't buy this.

First the idea of seeing the subcon. mind as a 'little child' or a 'little dog' is imho not right.
The brain research in the last years learned that it really is this 'little dog' who decides what we do most of the time.
It is not that we do what we want, we want what we do.

This fits just fine with the theory of the three souls. Here it says one needs to tell the subcon. mind what you want, because this is the only one who can get it to the Higher Self. I believe this.

Words are not the language of the Subcon. mind. It's symbols, feelings. If you have the right picture in the head with: Autumn rain wash sickness away, I believe the message of what you want will be understood.

And if 'no' - don't' and 'can't' is not understood, why would it be able to program oneself negative with stuff like: I can't win - I don't succeed.
After the above theory the subcon. mind would get out of this: Win - Succeed. Soo why does that not work? Because someone in such a mood, brings the feeling of failure in the message.

This is what I think and believe about this. To avoid 'negative' words is okey to a certain level, because we often don't learn as kids to say things positive. Most people are able to tell you at once what they do not want. But ask them what the want instead and you often get a puzzled look.

Making avoiding 'negative' words to a dogma, can easily drive one crazy.

Copperhead_Slinger
Last Login:September 28, 2008, 01:07:47 pm

Religion: Unsure.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 28, 2008, 01:07:12 pm »

I think this originates from the idea, that the subconscious mind is like a dog and understands: You'll get a snack = You'll get no snack.
Only word the subconscious gets is 'snack' or 'sickness'  - buuuut I don't buy this.

First the idea of seeing the subcon. mind as a 'little child' or a 'little dog' is imho not right.
The brain research in the last years learned that it really is this 'little dog' who decides what we do most of the time.
It is not that we do what we want, we want what we do.

This fits just fine with the theory of the three souls. Here it says one needs to tell the subcon. mind what you want, because this is the only one who can get it to the Higher Self. I believe this.

Words are not the language of the Subcon. mind. It's symbols, feelings. If you have the right picture in the head with: Autumn rain wash sickness away, I believe the message of what you want will be understood.

And if 'no' - don't' and 'can't' is not understood, why would it be able to program oneself negative with stuff like: I can't win - I don't succeed.
After the above theory the subcon. mind would get out of this: Win - Succeed. Soo why does that not work? Because someone in such a mood, brings the feeling of failure in the message.

This is what I think and believe about this. To avoid 'negative' words is okey to a certain level, because we often don't learn as kids to say things positive. Most people are able to tell you at once what they do not want. But ask them what the want instead and you often get a puzzled look.

Making avoiding 'negative' words to a dogma, can easily drive one crazy.

I have always had a problem with this....
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 28, 2008, 01:31:57 pm »

I kinda see the point of stating what you want, rather than what you don't, but I don't have a problem with negative language, if that's what will most accurately convey my intention.  I don't have a problem with negativity in spells, period -- I do folk magic.  Smiley
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 28, 2008, 05:24:33 pm »

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing an affirmation or something similar, where I'm directly trying to get it into my subconscious, I avoid the negatives. (especially things that I repeat first thing in the morning or last thing at night, or in a clear trance state)

So, instead of "Protect me from sickness" or "Don't let me get sick", I'd turn it around entirely, and do "I am healthy, I am well, I have the energy to do the things I love." (The "I am X" model works really well for this, incidentally, because it's a direct statement of being. It's also much easier to use to avoid unwanted negatives.)

If I'm doing a chant or a spell where I'm focusing energy, but I'm not directly trying to get it into my subconscious, then I'm less picky: I still prefer positive phrasings, because I think they help the phrasing, but I'll give it up for a better overall rhyme or meter.

AS far as banishing, one option is to balance it with what you want intstead. Something like "Banish sickness, banish ill, make me strong, and make me well." might work: you banish stuff, but then you reinforce what you want instead.

(Ok, so that's really bad poetry, but you get the idea.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 29, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »

I like to have books around me when I'm designing a spell, as it's always nice to have something to dip into for advice. However, I feel that a spell is much more powerful when it has come from within yourself, as it is much more meaningful if you have put the energy into thinking about it and writing it.

I write down all spells that I have done, and their outcomes, in my journal so that I have them to refer to in the future. Sometimes I use a spell more than once, and other times I expand on a spell I've already done. Sometimes I end up chopping and changing them depending on what ingredients I have on hand at the time. I'm a pretty down-to-earth spell caster.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 29, 2008, 08:53:24 pm »

AS far as banishing, one option is to balance it with what you want intstead. Something like "Banish sickness, banish ill, make me strong, and make me well." might work: you banish stuff, but then you reinforce what you want instead.

(Bold mine)

Reinforcement is what I was going to say for banishing spells. Repeating the words such as banish, be gone, away, etc. Thus, you are being extremely clear in your intent which is always good  Wink

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 30, 2008, 04:28:16 am »

Thanks, I didn't think about that as I thought when the moon is waning you do banishing work and concentrate on increasing of what you want when the moon is waxing again.

But well, it's all related somehow. Maybe I could do it according to the moon phases by banishing and defining what remains there. For example if I banish anger I could think of the peace that remains when anger is gone. Makes sense?

(Ok, so that's really bad poetry, but you get the idea.)
Um, I wouldn't want to post my self-designed spells...

But would be funny if we had a 'bad spell poetry'-thread to nominate any finds from teenage BsOS, the net or out of 'Charmed' Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)