The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2020, 02:56:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 02:56:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 08  (Read 9011 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: October 29, 2008, 06:08:53 pm »

I know this thread doesn't normally start up until October, but since the website rebooted for the new writing season early, I figured it was fair game.

I forgot something else that is normally mentioned in this thread:

What are you writing about this year?

I'm writing about the Titan Wars from Greek Mythology.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: October 29, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »

My project is one I undertook specifically to try to finish something, anything.  I figured if I tried it with something I wasn't attached to, I might be less likely to get all nitpicky about things and more able to just write.  The idea being to practice with this and eventually finish one of my big projects once I've got a little more experience actually finishing things under my belt.  (That's the theory.  We'll see how well it works in practice.)

So I started with a sheet of character and plot prompts and a pair of dice, and did five rolls each (I think) and strung them all together to make something resembling a vague idea for a plot.  Grin  I turned up with an assassin being broken out of prison by someone who has work for him.  Insert adventures, romance, betrayal, etc. here.  Then the twist at the end is that his target and his employer are one and the same--a sickly old man who would really like to get on with the business of dying, but who is being prevented from doing so by the niece and nephew caring for him (each for their own separate reasons).  It's theoretically fantasy, though I have yet to figure out what makes it so beyond being set in a world other than our own.

It's not the most original thing in the world, and there are gaping holes in it, but for the moment that's not the point.  The point is to do it, even if it's not very good.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: October 29, 2008, 08:55:46 pm »

It's theoretically fantasy, though I have yet to figure out what makes it so beyond being set in a world other than our own.

You could always call it "low fantasy" and call it a day.  Either that or the assassin has some magical or psychic ability?

It's not the most original thing in the world, and there are gaping holes in it, but for the moment that's not the point.  The point is to do it, even if it's not very good.

It actually sounds like something I would read Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 29, 2008, 09:08:06 pm »

I turned up with an assassin being broken out of prison by someone who has work for him.  Insert adventures, romance, betrayal, etc. here.  Then the twist at the end is that his target and his employer are one and the same--a sickly old man who would really like to get on with the business of dying, but who is being prevented from doing so by the niece and nephew caring for him (each for their own separate reasons).

That is an awesome idea! If you're ever of a mind to let people read it after NaNo, I'd love to. Smiley

I'm doing a story that's loosely based on Alice in Wonderland; instead of a normal girl falling into a fantastical world, my story is about a girl raised by a cult who enters the normal world. I'm still fiddling around with a lot of the details, but I'm pretty excited. I'm kind of obsessed with Alice in Wonderland, though. I just hope that I can squeeze 50,000 words out of my mostly non-existent plot.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 30, 2008, 08:11:36 pm »

So who's participating?

I'm in. My username there is terpette. I'll be on that site in a bit once I get done catching up here. =)

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 31, 2008, 10:46:16 am »

I'm continuing my zombie novel Wake. Yeah, yeah. I know--breaking the rules. I just want to finish the damn thing already.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: October 31, 2008, 11:01:50 am »

Yeah, yeah. I know--breaking the rules. I just want to finish the damn thing already.  Wink

(I don't remember whether I've said this already or not; if so, please move along and don't mind forgetful little old me.  LOL)

I've heard multiple people, here and elsewhere, comment that they're breaking the rules in one way or another.  Personally...  It's not a competition, you know?  You can "win", but you're not judged against anyone else and there isn't exactly a big cash prize on the line or anything.  "Breaking the rules" in this case doesn't really hurt anyone--so I say, modify as necessary to suit your particular situation.  I think the main point is really to get you writing rather than just planning, or researching, or sitting around daydreaming about writing, or trying to write but winding up editing instead, or whatever.  If that means continuing work on something you've already started, hey, you're still writing.

I will say that I think it might be a little more questionable to claim a "win" based on 50K words of a project that broke the rules, because there are specific criteria for the win (i.e. the rules) and you haven't met them.  But even if you do claim it, like I said, it's not like it's really going to hurt anyone.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 31, 2008, 11:06:39 am »

I've heard multiple people, here and elsewhere, comment that they're breaking the rules in one way or another.  Personally...  It's not a competition, you know? 

*snip*

I will say that I think it might be a little more questionable to claim a "win" based on 50K words of a project that broke the rules, because there are specific criteria for the win (i.e. the rules) and you haven't met them.  But even if you do claim it, like I said, it's not like it's really going to hurt anyone.  *shrug*

I agree completely. I'm not sure I'm even going to win this year, so it may be a moot point after all, but I think if I do, it'll be more of a "that much closer to finishing the novel" or, heaven forbid, a "finished with my novel!" kind of win than "yay 50k!"

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 01, 2008, 08:33:19 pm »

I'm continuing my zombie novel Wake. Yeah, yeah. I know--breaking the rules. I just want to finish the damn thing already.  Wink

Well. I rescind that. I've been trying to get myself to look at it all day, and I just can't. I'm going to have another go at the very first NaNovel I tried to write, a fantasy about two librarians. It's going to be completely started over.

Why? I think I'm frightened to work on Wake still. Which is bad.

Also, I think I want to give in to the spirit of NaNo and just write like crazy again.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: November 01, 2008, 08:38:01 pm »

Day 1 is almost over at the Star house.  Did everyone get a good start?

My goal is 2100 words per day, to account for the shortfall created by days I already know I probably won't write.  I managed 2336 today.  I had actually hoped to do more--in theory I had a two-hour weekly writing session on top of my one-hour nightly NaNo session today, so I figured that ought to let me get a really good head start.  In practice, it's been a long day and I didn't get all three hours in that I intended to.  (I still have about 20 min left tonight, but I just need some rest from everything right this second.)  I'm still happy with the amount I've done today, though.  It'll need lots of editing before it's fit to be seen, but I knew that was going to happen anyway.  Wink

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 01, 2008, 10:46:28 pm »

Day 1 is almost over at the Star house.  Did everyone get a good start?

I wrote this morning, clocked in 1679 words that I absolutely hate, and decided I was done for the day. I briefly considered writing again this evening, to give myself a bit of a buffer, but I ended up reading The Rule of Four by Caldwell & Thomason instead.

It's going to be a long November, if I end up hating everything else as much as I hated today's excerpt. I guess we'll see what happens!

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 01, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

Day 1 is almost over at the Star house.  Did everyone get a good start?)

I have about 1500 words. Meh. Depression sucks the fun out of writing.  Undecided

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #27: November 02, 2008, 09:12:40 am »

It's going to be a long November, if I end up hating everything else as much as I hated today's excerpt. I guess we'll see what happens!

*nods*  I can't say I'm horribly fond of what I've got right now either--wouldn't go quite to "hate", but I've got a serious case of the "argh, this suck"s.  I'm trying to just focus on writing it for now, though, and reminding myself that I can edit later, in the spirit of the whole NaNoWriMo thing.

...But I really hope things get better, anyway.  Cheesy

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 02, 2008, 11:20:25 am »

Well. I rescind that. I've been trying to get myself to look at it all day, and I just can't. I'm going to have another go at the very first NaNovel I tried to write, a fantasy about two librarians. It's going to be completely started over.

Why? I think I'm frightened to work on Wake still. Which is bad.

Also, I think I want to give in to the spirit of NaNo and just write like crazy again.

I've changed my mind again. I can't concentrate on just about anything.

I'm going to try to complete the Persephone-myth inspired novelette instead. I only have about two pages of material for that and waaay less in my head than with my other incomplete projects. I need to get away from all that.

Why is this NaNo so hard?  Sad

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 02, 2008, 11:41:45 am »

Why is this NaNo so hard?  Sad

I don't know. I'm considering changing my story too, only I don't have any back-up story to work on. Well- I've been considering doing a novel version of the play that is stuck in my head (about a cab driver who figures out a grisly murder based on the conversations he overhears in the backseat of his cab) but I'm just not motivated for it right now. I'm not sure what to do. Sad

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)