The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 02:24:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 02:24:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 08  (Read 8999 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #30: November 02, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »

I don't know. I'm considering changing my story too, only I don't have any back-up story to work on. Well- I've been considering doing a novel version of the play that is stuck in my head (about a cab driver who figures out a grisly murder based on the conversations he overhears in the backseat of his cab) but I'm just not motivated for it right now. I'm not sure what to do. Sad

I found a new story to write- one of my old rpg characters decided I could tell her story. Of course, I have absolutely no idea what that is, just yet, but I'm having fun again, which is all that matters. I've just barely crept across the minimum with 3,476 words. How are you all doing?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: November 02, 2008, 08:25:36 pm »

I found a new story to write- one of my old rpg characters decided I could tell her story. Of course, I have absolutely no idea what that is, just yet, but I'm having fun again, which is all that matters. I've just barely crept across the minimum with 3,476 words. How are you all doing?

I'm taking a brief break before the final push for tonight--I lack about 200 words of my goal.  I'm at 4200-some-odd right now and plan on stopping when I hit 4400.

I'm struggling with...  voice?  style?... right now.  Much to my surprise, the story up and decided to be a first-person narration, and the MC has a kind of dry wit that should show through in the narration.  That's not my natural state of existence or writing, though, so it winds up being a little inconsistent, maybe a little overdone here, a little stilted there.  I've also got a prison guard with a little bit of a dialect going on that I'm sure is all over the map too, as I struggle with how to express the way the words sound in my head in written text without sounding hokey.  But I'm just trying my best and pressing onward.

I'm a little afraid the story's going too fast, too, and that it'll wind up short story rather than novel, but I think less happens in the first act than in nearly any other; I think it'll probably fill out more once I get past the jailbreak.  I hope.  (I think this is partly a function of the setting.  Time has to pass between one event and another, but when you're a prisoner in a sort of medieval-fantasy-style prison where it's kind of solitary confinement and you just sit in your cell all day...  There's not much for the author to fill in the days with either.  Which is why I think/hope it's going to get better once my MC gets out of prison.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #32: November 24, 2008, 02:34:53 pm »

I meant to bump this more during the month, but got distracted by, um, writing.   Embarrassed  We're a week away from the end of the month.  How's everyone doing?

If I really push today and then stay on track the next couple of days, I'm thinking I should be at 50K before Thanksgiving (Thursday, for non-US-ers).  The whole novel won't be done, but I'm still just so excited because this is the farthest I've ever gotten on a writing project.  If I hit 50K by the end of the month, I've promised myself a full 5mL bottle of BPAL's Belle Epoque as a reward.  Smiley

This year has really been great for me not just because my wordcount is through the roof (comparative to previous attempts), but also because it's given me some insight as to what works for me for getting stuff done.  I've realized that this is going to work a lot better if I continue trying to write daily, though of course after November I'll drop the wordcount requirement.  My challenge is going to be to continue writing--and continue the writing process, not just the writing itself but also editing (in a meaningful way and not just nitpicking) and so forth--after this month ends.  I'm hoping I can keep the momentum up at least long enough to finish a first draft.  For the first time ever.  Yay!

(I feel a little foolish being so excited about it, because I know there are people here who have finished drafts--multiples, even--and are probably kind of unimpressed with the fact that I'm hoping to manage something they've done many times before.  But, heck, it's not something I've done before.  Grin  )

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: November 24, 2008, 02:42:19 pm »

I meant to bump this more during the month, but got distracted by, um, writing.   Embarrassed  We're a week away from the end of the month.  How's everyone doing?

I just now started Embarrassed

Most of my energy has gone into doing stuff for school this month, so Nano for me will end on 12/23.

(I feel a little foolish being so excited about it, because I know there are people here who have finished drafts--multiples, even--and are probably kind of unimpressed with the fact that I'm hoping to manage something they've done many times before.  But, heck, it's not something I've done before.  Grin  )

I have been writing for about four years now and I only had a few finished drafts of the same damn thing Grin

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: November 24, 2008, 02:45:23 pm »

Most of my energy has gone into doing stuff for school this month, so Nano for me will end on 12/23.

That sounds like a reasonable approach to me.  Are you going to be shooting for 50K?  If you're not strictly doing NaNo along with everyone else, you could adjust the "endpoint" goal to be whatever's useful to you, I'd think...

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: November 24, 2008, 02:48:17 pm »

That sounds like a reasonable approach to me.  Are you going to be shooting for 50K?  If you're not strictly doing NaNo along with everyone else, you could adjust the "endpoint" goal to be whatever's useful to you, I'd think...

I think 50K is possible, but I'd settle for 40 or 30.

My Spiritual Blog
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: November 24, 2008, 03:07:26 pm »

Don't feel foolish--you've really done something amazing! Bask in your own glory!  Cheesy

I, on the other hand, epically fail this year's NaNo.  Undecided  I blame the depression--being depressed makes everything pretty unbearable, but it makes writing absolutely agonizing.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #37: November 24, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »

I, on the other hand, epically fail this year's NaNo.  Undecided  I blame the depression--being depressed makes everything pretty unbearable, but it makes writing absolutely agonizing.

((((Finn)))))  You've had other things to worry about.  It happens.  Sad

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: November 24, 2008, 03:28:58 pm »

Been there and done that more than I care to think about.  My sympathy.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #39: November 26, 2008, 02:09:05 pm »

Oh my gods, you guys.  I did it.

I mean, it's not a complete draft yet, but I feel reasonbly confident in my momentum and ability to keep at it until it is.  But I wrote...  fifty...  thousand...  words in one month.  On one project.  I've never done this before.

I'm slightly in shock, to tell you the truth.  I didn't expect to make it this far.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: November 26, 2008, 02:16:35 pm »

Congrats Grin

Hopefully I will make that goal sometime in the future.

My Spiritual Blog
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: November 26, 2008, 03:03:25 pm »

I mean, it's not a complete draft yet, but I feel reasonbly confident in my momentum and ability to keep at it until it is.  But I wrote...  fifty...  thousand...  words in one month.  On one project.  I've never done this before.

I'm slightly in shock, to tell you the truth.  I didn't expect to make it this far.

*applauds* Go Star!

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #42: November 27, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »

Congrats, Star!  Grin

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: November 27, 2008, 02:33:16 pm »

WHOOOOOOOOO! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: November 29, 2008, 09:01:35 am »

Huzzah!  Many rejoicings!

Now go rest your arms, mine are aching in sympathy. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)