The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 03:11:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 03:11:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Hellenism  (Read 2319 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 29, 2008, 04:45:31 pm »

Well this was a path I once tried following (dont know why I stopped)  But do you have to have Ancestors that where greek or roman to follow this path?  i hope not.   Also is it possible to be a solo hellenist?  Also what kind of rituals are performed?  what kind of symbolism exists for a hellenist?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 29, 2008, 04:58:16 pm »

Well this was a path I once tried following (dont know why I stopped)  But do you have to have Ancestors that where greek or roman to follow this path?

For starters, the Greek and Roman religions were different.  To answer this question, no.  Most of the people who think "only Greeks can worship Greek gods" are Greek Nationals who wish to drive all the Christians out of Greece and restore society to what it was before the time of Constantine.  I think most of the Hellenic pagans here don't have Greek ancestry (but I may be mistaken on that one).  I'm mainly of British ancestry myself (with some French-Canadian, Cherokee Indian and Chinese thrown in), and my motto is: "You don't think I should worship the Greek Gods, take it up with them because THEY were the ones that contacted me!" Grin

Also is it possible to be a solo hellenist?

In this day in age, there are many solos.  There are groups out there, but some do not join because of location or lack of interest.

Also what kind of rituals are performed?

For this I'm going to give you a couple websites:

http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/

http://sponde.suneagle.info/

what kind of symbolism exists for a hellenist?

I think this is one that the individual follower decides.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 29, 2008, 05:09:41 pm »

For starters, the Greek and Roman religions were different.  To answer this question, no.  Most of the people who think "only Greeks can worship Greek gods" are Greek Nationals who wish to drive all the Christians out of Greece and restore society to what it was before the time of Constantine.  I think most of the Hellenic pagans here don't have Greek ancestry (but I may be mistaken on that one).  I'm mainly of British ancestry myself (with some French-Canadian, Cherokee Indian and Chinese thrown in), and my motto is: "You don't think I should worship the Greek Gods, take it up with them because THEY were the ones that contacted me!" Grin

In this day in age, there are many solos.  There are groups out there, but some do not join because of location or lack of interest.

For this I'm going to give you a couple websites:

http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/

http://sponde.suneagle.info/

I think this is one that the individual follower decides.

Really?  their are no special symbols associated with the Hellenistic religion?
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: September 29, 2008, 05:18:37 pm »

Really?  their are no special symbols associated with the Hellenistic religion?

There are plenty of symbols associated with individual deities and such, I'm sure.  Or specific organizations like Hellenion.  But I don't think there's one big symbol for Hellenism, not in the same sense that, say, Christians have the cross.  (At least, if there is, I haven't stumbled upon it yet.)

(Just a note, btw:  Thank you for quoting, but please don't forget to trim your quote down to just what you're replying to.  For example, in the post I'm replying to here, you were only replying to the last sentence, so everything above that could have been deleted (except of course the actual quote code).  Saves database space and makes our servers happier.  Smiley  The full quoting guidelines are in the Rules section.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 29, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »

There are plenty of symbols associated with individual deities and such, I'm sure.  Or specific organizations like Hellenion.  But I don't think there's one big symbol for Hellenism, not in the same sense that, say, Christians have the cross.  (At least, if there is, I haven't stumbled upon it yet.)

No there's not. Which made for an interesting time when we were trying to set one for Hellenion.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)