The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 15, 2021, 05:02:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 05:02:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your religion, or your magic?  (Read 27019 times)
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: October 06, 2008, 01:24:08 pm »

I know what the dogma is alleged to say, but I think most people can recognise the taste of wine. Wink

It's all about Aristotelean/Neo-Platonic essences and accidents. The ACCIDENTS -- the matter that you can interact with -- remains bread and wine. The ESSENCE -- what the thing really is in imaginary "perfect forms" world, if you will -- becomes body and blood.

It's all very old-fashioned. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: October 06, 2008, 01:33:04 pm »

For instance, two disparate traditions can use incense to create sacred space.  Religion A uses it to cleanse a circle, and in that tradition it might be best termed an (admittedly minor) act of magic; Religion B uses it to bless an altar as an act of faith.  Cultural context notwithstanding, in either case the intent and the method are pretty dang close.  If Religion B wants to hold forth the opinion that 'magic' = oogie-boogie badness, and some of its practices resemble what the oogie-boogies do, then in my opinion it ought to be more honest about what it's doing and why.  If 'magic' is bad, why imitate it, even superficially?

A) I'm pretty clear that when I go to church and we burn incense, we're not "imitating" neo-Pagan magical use of incense. I'm also QUITE clear on when I am and am not practicing magic, when I am and am not worshiping saints, and when I am and am not celebrating Pagan winter or springtime fertility rituals. If you are unclear on when YOU are doing these things, that is a personal problem, and not one you should generalize to the rest of us. If you think that this is something 1.5 billion Christians are unclear on when THEY are doing these things, that is a seriously elitist accusation that will require some excellent evidence.

B) You appear confused on the "intent" of incense use in Christianity. It is typically symbolic of prayers rising to heaven; a method to further engage all senses in the act of worship; and/or representative of the gifts brought by the Magi to Christ. It serves no cleansing or truly "consecratory" functions in Christian liturgy. It is sometimes used in blessings, as part of its prayer symbolism. I believe your analogy therefore fails.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #32: October 06, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »

A) I'm pretty clear that when I go to church and we burn incense, we're not "imitating" neo-Pagan magical use of incense.

I missed the incense thing initially.  Out of curiosity, do you know how far back the Catholic use of incense dates?  I ask because I'm betting the answer is somewhere in the neighborhood of "a whole hell of a lot longer than neo-Paganism", which makes it awfully difficult to claim that Catholicism is "imitating" neo-Paganism IMHO.  I'm not sure you (generic you here) can really imitate something that didn't come around until after your practice was already well-established.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: October 06, 2008, 02:13:37 pm »

I missed the incense thing initially.  Out of curiosity, do you know how far back the Catholic use of incense dates?  I ask because I'm betting the answer is somewhere in the neighborhood of "a whole hell of a lot longer than neo-Paganism", which makes it awfully difficult to claim that Catholicism is "imitating" neo-Paganism IMHO.  I'm not sure you (generic you here) can really imitate something that didn't come around until after your practice was already well-established.

F'rever. It's mentioned repeatedly in the OT in temple rituals of various sorts. It's also well-attested in various other Ancient Near Eastern religions (Greeks, Assyrians, etc.) and well-attested to fight the stink when it was hot. It's mentioned a couple of times in the New Testament, which suggests it was in at least occasional use, doubtless borrowed from the Jewish traditions, in early Christianity. It starts appearing in official liturgies and ordos in the 400s. (Which is about as early as official liturgies and ordos start appearing.)

But incense is one of those things, like candles, live plants, circles, and colors, that are used symbolically, liturgically, or for other reasons in MOST world religions. It was also a far more common "household" item in the past than it is now; for us, its associations seem primarily religious (the way many of us think of candles as well), but for ancient near easterners, it would have been a fairly routine object to have around and to put to various uses. Not that everyone would have necessarily owned it -- could be expensive -- but everyone would have been familiar with it as a profane object as well as its sacred uses. I sort-of picture future religions arguing over who used lightbulbs first in religion, when we were all just USING THE MOST CULTURALLY COMMON FORM OF LIGHT. Tongue
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 06, 2008, 02:33:59 pm »

Also bears plenty of superficial similarities to a child's birthday party, with decorations, candles, sharing of ceremonial food in a circular formation, and offerings given to one being honored.

BIRTHDAYS ARE MAGIC!

Why, Yes they are!  Just ask my kids.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: October 06, 2008, 03:20:36 pm »

It's all about Aristotelean/Neo-Platonic essences and accidents. The ACCIDENTS -- the matter that you can interact with -- remains bread and wine. The ESSENCE -- what the thing really is in imaginary "perfect forms" world, if you will -- becomes body and blood.

Well then, to EverFool's point, is that substantively different from a metaphor?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: October 06, 2008, 03:41:28 pm »

those who assume their label is more correct need to take a more honest look at what they're doing.
That part I can agree with.

Can you provide supporting arguments for why your label is more accurate?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: October 06, 2008, 04:48:27 pm »

Well then, to EverFool's point, is that substantively different from a metaphor?

If you're an Aristotelean or a Neo-Platonist (or a good Catholic/Orthodox Xtn/Lutheran/Episcopalian/High Church Methodist): Yes. But the ideas aren't real current in the modern world, and I'm sure that a) many people think of it as just a metaphor and b) many other people understand it as more than a metaphor, but not in the official way.

Officially, no, it's not a metaphor. (Them's some super low-church Protestant fightin' words there!) But the official understanding is pretty foreign to most modern folks.

OTOH, it doesn't really matter that much anymore. Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, and Anglicans all agree they actually mean the same thing, sometimes with different words, and Methodists agree officially with Anglicans and therefore unofficially with the rest of the lot; Reformed churches (which are non-transubstantionationalists) aren't that wound up about Eucharistic theology these days; and fundamentalist churches have many other things to bitch about that are far more comprehensible (gay marriage! liberals! chicks in pants!) to the modern mind.
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #38: October 06, 2008, 04:58:59 pm »

...Which came first?

Did you practice magic before you found/developed your religious path? Or did you already have your religious leanings before you began to delve into magic?

In your own personal view of things, is the one in direct correlation with the other? Or do you view them as completely separate things? Why?

I view both as separate and distinct and my magic came before my religion. In many ways my views and beliefs for my religion are still evolving to this day. I see magic and Witchcraft as a practice and not a religious component. At the very best, your religious beliefs can dictate the how and why of your magic but one can survive without the other.

Nakul
Last Login:October 06, 2008, 05:06:08 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: October 06, 2008, 05:04:36 pm »

Did you practice magic before you found/developed your religious path? Or did you already have your religious leanings before you began to delve into magic?

Personally, I found the religion and the magic at roughly the same time. However, I tried to be careful and do only small magics when I started. I think that they are intertwined with each other, but not the same thing. You can practice the religion without doing the magic, do both, or practice the magic without the religion (tho I don't recommend that). I think that people shouldn't practice the magic without at least a basic understanding of the religion, because otherwise you're messing around with forces you don't comprehend. I think that's where you see spells go awry. You wouldn't have to practice the religion, but if for example you are doing a spell involving the healing energies of Sekhmet, you need to know that she's also a goddess of destruction. Working a spell without that knowledge might go very badly. That doesn't mean you need to worship the Egyptian pantheon, just be aware of what you're invoking.
Raziel
Journeyman
Last Login:March 24, 2011, 09:58:43 pm

Religion: Heretical Syncretist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: October 07, 2008, 04:57:10 am »

That part I can agree with.

Can you provide supporting arguments for why your label is more accurate?
Okay, time for some serious, good ol'fashioned backpedaling. 

I admit that, in my own view, magic and religion are intertwined.  I also acknowledge that this is my view, but not everyone's. 

I never intended to imply that my labels were better than anybody else's; but, in reviewing my posts in this thread, it seems I did just that.  I was attempting to point out that commonalities do exist, even if they're just superficial-- to me, labels are just that, and to me it's amusing to suggest that one's is superior to another's.
My attempts to convey that message.... completely buggered. 

In reviewing my posts, they come across as arrogant and offensive, and though I do confess to being a bit arrogant and a bit of a smartass, I still owe everybody here an apology.  Also, as I said before, opening with a pithy comment was not the way to start.

Also, I avoided mentioning Catholicism or Christianity directly because I didn't want it to look like I was 'singling out' any one sect.  Well, completely buggered that too.  Koimichra, if I offended you in any way, please accept my apology. 

Now, if you all will pardon me, I will attempt to crawl backwards, face down, out of this thread. 

It's always easier to hit 'ignore' and run away.....
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: October 07, 2008, 06:33:30 am »

Also, I avoided mentioning Catholicism or Christianity directly because I didn't want it to look like I was 'singling out' any one sect.  Well, completely buggered that too.  Koimichra, if I offended you in any way, please accept my apology. 

Now, if you all will pardon me, I will attempt to crawl backwards, face down, out of this thread. 

While I think a number of people here disagree with your interpretations, I don't think anyone particularly wants you to feel humiliated or embarassed.  For my part, as I said, in my experience when someone talks about religious ceremony really being magic, they usually refer to Chistianity.  It's not so much that you dropped major hints, as that certain topics tend to be associated with certain things.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #42: October 07, 2008, 07:12:58 am »

Eh.  It happens; I think most of us have had similar communications problems (maybe not here specifically, but somewhere) like that at one point or another.  Sometimes things just come out wrong and you (generic you, here, not you personally) don't realize it until waaaaaaay too late.  Don't stress over it too much.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #43: October 07, 2008, 08:46:09 am »

No real need to do that. People have been disagreeing with you, not demanding your head. This is a debate and discussion message board so discussions like this are fairly common. People disagree on positions and say why they do.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: October 07, 2008, 01:25:46 pm »

Don't worry, I shall survive and I'm not particularly offended. Smiley (I teach world religions to 18 year olds. You'll have to work harder to offend me.)

I do just very often find people accusing entire groups of people of not knowing their own symbolism/actions/whatever. Sometimes this IS true (or at least they're unaware of the HISTORY of their symbol), but it's a VERY large accusation to make and should be made carefully. I really am clear on what magic is and why I'm not doing it. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)