The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 18, 2021, 07:42:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2021, 07:42:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: LyricFox!  (Read 2830 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 03, 2008, 12:38:33 am »

fine!! block my PM! but I am telling you what I wanted to say.

"Look I just wanted to say that I am sorry for my attitude.  I know I cant be spoon fed I just find talking to people much more productive for me than reading (something I have small time for)  I grasp things alot better when they are written in a more casual way rather than the whole "textbook format" of most the links on here.  I dont want to be on a bad note with you Cry  I just get angry or flustered very easly and I took your response at heart sorry."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 03, 2008, 12:44:51 am »

I don't want to get involved with this, but some members do block all PMs.  I think there is an option to do that somewhere in the profile.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 03, 2008, 12:48:14 am »

I don't want to get involved with this, but some members do block all PMs.  I think there is an option to do that somewhere in the profile.

Oh well.  As long as she gets my message I dont care how I do it.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 03, 2008, 07:21:38 am »

"Look I just wanted to say that I am sorry for my attitude.  I know I cant be spoon fed I just find talking to people much more productive for me than reading (something I have small time for)  I grasp things alot better when they are written in a more casual way rather than the whole "textbook format" of most the links on here.  I dont want to be on a bad note with you Cry  I just get angry or flustered very easly and I took your response at heart sorry."

Insearch,

I have EVERYONE'S PMs blocked. Neither Randall nor I are willing to deal with them. If you want to reach either of us, you email us through our profile.

I'm sorry you don't have time to read, but you're either going to have to make the time or drop the whole idea of paganism until you can find time. These are not religions where someone can hand you a "How To..." manual and give you the answers. And, when you head off into many of the religions, reading is virtually the ONLY way you're going to learn.

You have put that you are pulled to Roman Recon, and I'm here to tell you that NONE of the Reconstructionist religions can be approached the way you're approaching this board. These are not religions that are very popular with the masses...which means even if you could find books on them, you wouldn't find many. I'm a Greek Reconstructionist, and there are MAYBE, MAYBE a half dozen books published on it. The first book wasn't published until around 2001. These are not easy religions. If you want to follow one, you're going to have to be more than drawn to them. You're going to have to be willing to bust your ass to learn because the vast majority of the resources that Recons use are primary...that means Homer, Hesiod, etc. for the Greeks. The secondary sources are scholastic...books published by experts in the field and generally a university imprint.

I'm honestly not trying to rain on your parade here, but when I said to you in another earlier post that you haven't read enough to even know which questions to ask, I meant it. No one wants to run off a serious seeker, but the way you're coming across is just as someone nosy enough to want to know a bit about things that really have little bearing on the actual religion or are some hyped up Hollywood version.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 03, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »

If you want to get answers, you're going to need to do a couple of things.

First, ask more targeted questions. "Tell me everything you know about X" is frankly disrespectful of others' time. When I was a journalist, the #1 thing about asking experts questions was to have a very targeted, specific question, and not call asking, "Can you just explain the crisis to me?"

Second, do not act like you blame us when the information you want isn't available in the format you want. If nobody has a list handy of all the Pagan religions, as you requested, why do you become frustrated with us? People attempted to provide you with next-best options, and you kept rejecting them and saying that wasn't what you were looking for. I myself did a quick google and didn't turn up anything like what you wanted; you seem to be implying that we should all devote half an hour of our lives to digging around until we find EXACTLY what you want. People, as a courtesy, attempted to provide next-bests when they didn't have your exact request on hand. You rejecting those and continuing to make demands, again, comes across as rude and disrespecteful.

Third, BE more respectful. "fine!! block my PM!" doesn't exactly scream maturity and reasonableness. Try not to let your frustration get the better of you so quickly; lashing out at people who are trying to help you will only make them not want to help you -- and they're not obligated to help you.

Fourth, you're going to have to read something, and it probably won't be in the perfect format for you. Whether you settle back and read threads other people have started, asking questions when you don't understand, or whether you read the many suggested websites is up to you. But so far you've said you CAN'T have books at home, you don't LIKE any of the websites anyone's suggested, and you can ONLY learn in "conversation" -- and your attempts at learning in conversation have been to make very onerous demands of strangers. If you're determined to close off all possible avenues for learning, there's not really anything any of us can help you with. Unfortunately, the world does not revolve around you, and the available information is not going to be perfectly tailored to you. You can either deal with that and work through the available material, or you can decide to skip it -- but then you won't be able to learn anything about Paganism and you'll have to give up your desire to learn about it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)