The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 06:58:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 06:58:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Greek and Roman Gods  (Read 12395 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 04, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »

I was reading a website on the Gods of the Romans, and next to each Gods name their was another list called "origin" and it pretty much said Jupiter's origin was the Greek God Zeus?  this cant be can it?  They are probably talking about the basic image's of the Roman Gods right?  because I remember reading that the Reason in their where so many Gods in the Roman Pantheon is because they believed the Gods where in Nature (thus a God or Goddess for all kinds of things) but they believed that the Gods where formless but very powerful.  So would I be correct in assuming that the only origin Zeus has to Jupiter is his Image?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 04, 2008, 12:29:07 pm »

I was reading a website on the Gods of the Romans, and next to each Gods name their was another list called "origin" and it pretty much said Jupiter's origin was the Greek God Zeus?  this cant be can it?  They are probably talking about the basic image's of the Roman Gods right?  because I remember reading that the Reason in their where so many Gods in the Roman Pantheon is because they believed the Gods where in Nature (thus a God or Goddess for all kinds of things) but they believed that the Gods where formless but very powerful.  So would I be correct in assuming that the only origin Zeus has to Jupiter is his Image?

IIRC, the Romans would incorporate some the Gods/Goddess' of the various people they conquered into their own pantheon. They would look at the native god (Zeus) and if they decided they liked what he represented, they would rename him (Jupiter).

*Disclaimer* It's been a while since I've read an overview of Roman religions, so I could be way off track with this.....

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 04, 2008, 12:33:23 pm »

From my understanding, the Romans were worshiping their gods before they stole the Greek myths and applied it to them.  In fact, the Romans borrowed art and architectural styles from the Greeks so it wouldn't surprise me if images of Zeus were called images of Jupiter after the invasion.  Nor would it surprise me if later images of Jupiter were modeled after Zeus.  After all, to the Romans they were the same deity.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 04, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »

IIRC, the Romans would incorporate some the Gods/Goddess' of the various people they conquered into their own pantheon. They would look at the native god (Zeus) and if they decided they liked what he represented, they would rename him (Jupiter).

*Disclaimer* It's been a while since I've read an overview of Roman religions, so I could be way off track with this.....

Not exactly, they would identify the deities of a conquered culture with their own.  So you end up with Zeus-Jupiter, Lugh-Mercury (I think) and so on.

My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 04, 2008, 12:39:47 pm »

From my understanding, the Romans were worshiping their gods before they stole the Greek myths and applied it to them.  In fact, the Romans borrowed art and architectural styles from the Greeks so it wouldn't surprise me if images of Zeus were called images of Jupiter after the invasion.  Nor would it surprise me if later images of Jupiter were modeled after Zeus.  After all, to the Romans they were the same deity.

thank you for this.  I have no problem with Jupiter looking like Zeus but they are different right?
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 04, 2008, 12:57:31 pm »

thank you for this.  I have no problem with Jupiter looking like Zeus but they are different right?

I don't know much about the Roman gods, so I cannot answer that.  I can say that Ares and Mars are more than likely different because of their personalities, but I heard that whether or not Zeus and Jupiter are the same is a big question mark.

My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 04, 2008, 01:00:17 pm »

I don't know much about the Roman gods, so I cannot answer that.  I can say that Ares and Mars are more than likely different because of their personalities, but I heard that whether or not Zeus and Jupiter are the same is a big question mark.

"Ruler of the Gods. He is the god of Sky, Lightning and Thunder. He is the son of Saturn and brother of Neptune, Pluto and Juno, who is also his wife. His attribute is the lightning bolt and his symbol the eagle, who is also his messenger. He was also considered the Patron god of Rome, and his temple was the official place of state business and sacrifices."

^ well this is a basic description of Jupiter from a website.  Does that sound anything like Zeus?  It kinda does to me especially the part about the lightning bolt and being the God of the sky.  But the eagle messanger is different i think?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 04, 2008, 01:22:09 pm »

^ well this is a basic description of Jupiter from a website.  Does that sound anything like Zeus?  It kinda does to me especially the part about the lightning bolt and being the God of the sky.  But the eagle messanger is different i think?

The eagle messenger isn't different.  What I was try to say that mythology and attributes are one thing to consider when trying to identify one god with another.  Other factors are personality and methods of worship, possibly a few more.

Zeus is the god of many, MANY things and I would have to read up on what exactly Jupiter is god of so I can understand this better.

My Spiritual Blog
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 04, 2008, 01:40:23 pm »

It's not really that clear cut. The Romans (and related peoples) had their own gods, but early on they didn't tend to use figural representations of them in the same way the Greeks did. The Romans had a long and involved history with the Greeks that lasted centuries, and it wasn't all about conquest. They were very syncretic and adopted many customs and artistic styles, and began to express their understanding of their gods in a Greek fashion. It's far too simple and too much a generalization to equate Roman gods with Greek gods, but there are some similarities because of this history.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 04, 2008, 04:27:37 pm »

I looked briefly into Religio Romana a while back.

How I remember it is that the Romans originally didn't anthropomorphize their gods. 

It was after they encountered the Etruscans and, later, the Greeks that they started telling myths and making images.  When they did they borrowed a lot from the cultures that they encountered instead of coming up with everything from scratch.  For example, Athena and Minerva have very different personalities but were similar enough that the Romans applied Athena's myths and other characteristics to Minerva. 

When you bring the Etruscans into it, it becomes more complicated.  The name "Minerva" was borrowed earlier from a third Etruscan goddess, Menrva, who was known earlier than either the Greek or Roman goddess.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 04, 2008, 04:42:44 pm »

*** MOD HAT ON ***I'm deleting your current signature image (Romulus and Remus suckling a wolf) as it is far too large for a signature image in both file size and image size. See the Signature Guidelines. Your limits as a regular member are 450 pixels wide, 150 pixels high, and a max of 35K of image file size.

Also, this image is coming from http://www.paganwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/romulus.jpg -- unless the pagan watch web site is one you pay for, you probably should not be serving this picture from there. Every time it displays here it uses up some of the bandwidth the owner of this web site is paying for. Unless you are the web site owner or have the web site owner's permission to do this, you are stealing his bandwidth. Although this appears with a mod box, I'm not counting it as an official warning -- I just want you to be sure to read it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 04, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »

Alright thank you for telling me.  Smiley 
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 04, 2008, 06:56:44 pm »

I just want to make sure of something for example:  Jupiter and Zeus are lets say.... well... Technically hold the same positions in each ones Pantheon Zeus head of Gods Jupiter Head of Gods but they are very much different right?
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 04, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »

Not exactly, they would identify the deities of a conquered culture with their own.  So you end up with Zeus-Jupiter, Lugh-Mercury (I think) and so on.

Thanks for that.  Smiley Like I had mentioned, it's been way to long since I read about this. Methinks it's time to reread some of it.  Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 04, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »

I just want to make sure of something for example:  Jupiter and Zeus are lets say.... well... Technically hold the same positions in each ones Pantheon Zeus head of Gods Jupiter Head of Gods but they are very much different right?

Jupiter and Zeus are not as different as say Ares and Mars (which are about as different as you can get in the war god department).  How different the major Roman Gods are from their Greek counterparts varies with the pair of deities in question.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.