The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 07:58:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 07:58:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Greek and Roman Gods  (Read 12396 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 04, 2008, 10:23:09 pm »

Jupiter and Zeus are not as different as say Ares and Mars (which are about as different as you can get in the war god department).  How different the major Roman Gods are from their Greek counterparts varies with the pair of deities in question.

Ok I see.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: October 04, 2008, 10:29:19 pm »

Ok I see.

INsearch,

You might really want to consider joining up on the Nova Roma mailing list (or another Roman Recon list) for some of the questions and site suggestions.

I hate to say it, but we don't really have many Roman Recons posting here right now and I know the Roman era is pretty late for me and Randall both. There's still good information here, but we've always had more Greek types than Roman types and you'll start running us out of info before long.  Tongue

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 04, 2008, 10:33:07 pm »

INsearch,

You might really want to consider joining up on the Nova Roma mailing list (or another Roman Recon list) for some of the questions and site suggestions.

I hate to say it, but we don't really have many Roman Recons posting here right now and I know the Roman era is pretty late for me and Randall both. There's still good information here, but we've always had more Greek types than Roman types and you'll start running us out of info before long.  Tongue

Yeah I know  Smiley  I was thinking about joining the Nova Roma mailing list  Smiley  I have looked through it some of it confuses me but I think thats what I am going to do.  I do believe that you and others practicing as a Hellenic will be able to hopefully help me in someway  Smiley  I dont know how close these two religions are but they seem close enough to get some counsel from you guys  Smiley  oh and yeah no matter what forum I go to I am this "Question Monster"  sometimes theirs no stopping me haha.
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 04, 2008, 11:08:16 pm »

How I remember it is that the Romans originally didn't anthropomorphize their gods. 

It was after they encountered the Etruscans and, later, the Greeks that they started telling myths and making images.  When they did they borrowed a lot from the cultures that they encountered instead of coming up with everything from scratch.

For Romans, the world was filled with gods. Some were their gods with familiar names and functions, some were other people's gods with names and functions familiar to those people, some were unknown but there, some decided to step in and become Roman gods... If need be, a person could be made god(dess) after death. You could call Romans a practical lot when it came to gods. Cheesy

To put it simplified: So, if Greek - who Romans looked up to - had all those fancy myths about their gods, why couldn't they? If  getting things started mythwise required borrowing Greeks, why not do it? If the Roman gods disliked getting wonderful stories told about them, they'd show their displeasure.

For example, Athena and Minerva have very different personalities but were similar enough that the Romans applied Athena's myths and other characteristics to Minerva. 

Along that line, yes.

"The Roman gods are Greek" is a simplification. While it gives the basic idea of a lesser known pantheon (or rather, the main deities of it) through a well-known one, it's still a simplification. As an example, Mars could be called to aid for a sick person, to defend  her/him against the disease. I wouldn't call on Ares...

Fausta Acilia Mus
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: October 04, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »

Yeah I know  Smiley  I was thinking about joining the Nova Roma mailing list  Smiley  I have looked through it some of it confuses me but I think thats what I am going to do.  I do believe that you and others practicing as a Hellenic will be able to hopefully help me in someway  Smiley  I dont know how close these two religions are but they seem close enough to get some counsel from you guys  Smiley  oh and yeah no matter what forum I go to I am this "Question Monster"  sometimes theirs no stopping me haha.

Sure, we don't mind helping at all. 

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: October 05, 2008, 09:01:40 am »

I dont know how close these two religions are but they seem close enough to get some counsel from you guys  Smiley 

Yes and no. The two pantheons are generally very similar at a quick glance, but somewhat to very different at a deeper look. This is even more true when you get into the practical aspects of how to worship the Gods. So while knowledgeable Hellenic Pagans can answer questions on Roman religion, their answers may be more true for Hellenic practices and beliefs than for Roman.  Another thing to remember is that neither religion was static. Beliefs, practices, myths, and even which deities were commonly worshiped changed with time. Most Hellenic Pagans concentrate on the so-called "Classical Era" (which was a time before there was a lot of contract with Rome). By the time the Romans were more active in the area, the classical era had ended and some of the Greek religious practices, beliefs, myths, etc. they encountered would be different from the ones most Hellenic Pagans are most familiar with.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.