The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 12:35:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 12:35:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Locating A Coven  (Read 3667 times)
Icarus Revnant
Last Login:October 15, 2008, 05:52:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Militant Empirical Mysticism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 06, 2008, 04:38:50 am »

Hello All!

I am from a city in Montana called Missoula.  It's not very big, and doesn't have a very well established Pagan community.  Not to say we don't have Pagan, just no community.  I'm not sure how it's done in the bigger cities, but I'm looking to join a group of like-minded seekers.  I was Catholic for a number of years, eventually quitting the faith because I disagreed with doctrine.  However, what I really liked about Catholicism was the ritual and the Church spirit.  Although I am very happy in my faith, I would like to have others to practice with.

Any suggestions?

If I live for nothing else, let my sweat be poured for God.
If I die for nothing else, let my blood be spilled for God.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 06, 2008, 04:46:44 am »

Any suggestions?
I'd try looking for individual contacts, groups and activities on sites like these (I'm no expert on your region though):

http://www.witchvox.com/
http://www.paganfederation.org/

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 06, 2008, 04:51:21 am »

Hello All!

I am from a city in Montana called Missoula.  It's not very big, and doesn't have a very well established Pagan community.  Not to say we don't have Pagan, just no community.  I'm not sure how it's done in the bigger cities, but I'm looking to join a group of like-minded seekers.  I was Catholic for a number of years, eventually quitting the faith because I disagreed with doctrine.  However, what I really liked about Catholicism was the ritual and the Church spirit.  Although I am very happy in my faith, I would like to have others to practice with.

Any suggestions?

If you are looking for coven it might be bit more harder. If you found one next you have consider if it´s suitable for you. I have no chance to join coven. I would but there´s no covens in my city and not many in this whole country. Well, but if you want people to work with you might want to try to form a working group. That´s exactly what we´ve done. Ofcourse it doesn´t offer us formal training and structure like coven would but it surtainly is lovely to have.
Prickle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 29, 2012, 03:32:14 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 06, 2008, 10:05:30 am »

Although I am very happy in my faith, I would like to have others to practice with.

Any suggestions?

You could try Meet-Up.com to look for people in your area.

www.meetup.com

This group on Yahoo tries to match serious seekers with a BTW coven nearest them.

Amber and Jet

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amberandjet/

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 06, 2008, 10:15:54 am »

Hello All!

You have the same basic choices people in citities with larger populations have, actually.

1) You can choose to travel to and make time for a group.

2) You can choose to do something else.

The distances change a bit - but in big cities, you can often be talking an hour on the roads to get to a particular group if they're across town (or if traffic is bad.) And you've still got to look at the question of fit with the group.

In this case, it looks like there're a couple of eclectic options in Missoula, according to Witchvox - and there's what looks like a Gardnerian group about an hour and forty minutes away in Butte. (I'm using Google Map's estimates.) That gives you some places to start, depending on what direction you want to go. (Many groups where there's a larger distance involved will be willing to consider working something out for students who really are a good fit for what they're doing - maybe that's meeting once a month instead of most weeks, etc.)

Training in an outer court would give you a good solid basis, and help you figure out what your next step might be. And if you did decide you wanted to form a working group, you'd have some tools and examples from your experience to help you do it better.

(I am a huge believer in the benefits of formal group training for a number of reasons. But I also recognise the practical issues.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
savatage
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2015, 02:18:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: working on it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 15, 2009, 10:25:34 am »

I'm looking to join a group of like-minded seekers. 
Any suggestions?

i have to say that i'd also like to try and find a group of any description albeit a coven or just a group of like minded people. the pagan scene here in melbourne seems to be very small and i havent had any luck finding any sort of group. if anyone knows of anything that could be of help, i'd very much like to be pointed in the right direction. if all else fails, i'm also looking around for someone/s to talk to and share ideas/thoughts/philosophies with via im...(not quite sure if this is the right place to put all of this)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 22, 2020, 09:45:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 16, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »

i have to say that i'd also like to try and find a group of any description albeit a coven or just a group of like minded people. the pagan scene here in melbourne seems to be very small and i havent had any luck finding any sort of group. if anyone knows of anything that could be of help, i'd very much like to be pointed in the right direction. if all else fails, i'm also looking around for someone/s to talk to and share ideas/thoughts/philosophies with via im...(not quite sure if this is the right place to put all of this)
Have you checked on WitchVox yet?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
savatage
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 17, 2009, 03:45:21 am »

Have you checked on WitchVox yet?

yeh i have an account on there, but i've contacted groups that are meant to be around here and never heard anything back, so either they dont like me and are avoiding  me Tongue, or they dont exist or have different contact details now
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 17, 2009, 07:51:28 am »

yeh i have an account on there, but i've contacted groups that are meant to be around here and never heard anything back, so either they dont like me and are avoiding  me Tongue, or they dont exist or have different contact details now

Or there's something else going on - there was an email glitch, the person answering the email had a bunch of family demands, etc. It's really hard to tell from the outside about why someone doesn't answer your email. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of people locally (in part because I'm a bit obsessive about making sure that anyone who contacts us gets at least *some* answer if they seem even remotely serious.)

Stuff that you can do that helps:

1) Look at the sites for anything you might possibly be able to get to (especially in areas that don't have tons of choices.)
Look to learn a bit more about different groups - but also see if they have links to other events, networking communities, stores, or other resources you can check out. Not everyone advertises on Witchvox.

It may be worth checking out sites of groups in other areas of Australia. (Yes, it's a huge country, and you're not going to travel across half of it to go to an event, probably - but you might find other regional networking resources that would be of use.)

2) Write the best possible introduction email.
My dream email to get (after having read a lot of them, both for my former group, and a few for my current one) is 2-3 paragraphs at most, thoughtful, and with attention to detail. Do they indicate they've read the group's website or done other learning about us before emailing? Do they provide the information we ask for. Do they come across as a mature, thoughtful person we might want to have in the group? Did they spell my name (which is on the relevant websites) right if they use it?

My dream email says something like "Hi, I found out about you from [source]. I'm really interested in learning more about the group - I've read the website, and here's the stuff you request. [If there are any really urgent questions that would be an absolute barrier, ask them here]. Thanks for your time! [Their name]."

Spelling and punctuation aren't the things that make a great coven-mate - but taking a bit of time to produce the best email possible shows that someone's taking the process seriously, and that *is* important. The people who send "i want 2 be a witch, help me plz?" emails (and oh, boy, are they out there) tend, in many cases to go straight into most people's trash.

It's not the place for a big long rambling email about all of your past religious experience. (Gotten those. Sent at least one, and now cringe about it.) It's not a place for the "Help me with the weird thing that happened last week" - these people are total strangers right now, why do they care, and why would you trust their advice without knowing more about them anyway. And so on - these are all pretty common emails that group email addresses get, so setting yourself apart from them is a good way to encourage a response.

3) Be aware of other considerations.
In your case, your age might be particularly tricky based on the info in your profile - a lot of more structured covens strongly prefer someone who is over 20 (21 and 25 are common bottom limits, if 18 isn't). This isn't just for legal issues, but because someone who is out of college, moved out from their parents, working, etc. is in a different stage of life from someone who hasn't. It affects all sorts of things, from the very practical scheduling and timing considerations to the kinds of focus ritual might take. (All of which is to say that you may find you have more options in a few years than you do right now, for this reason alone.)

Also, Australia, as I understand it, has some particular complications due to space and isolation - it may be particularly useful for you to find email lists/networking resources that are not specifically coven-focused. Not only will you connect with other people directly, but you'll be better aware if stuff in your immediate local community changes (a new group forms, someone who is interested in leading a group moves into the area, etc.)

I've got a bunch of resources up on line - some are more my area focused, but you might find other parts of interest.
http://gleewood.org/phoenixsong/finding-groups-resources-and-thoughts

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
savatage
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 17, 2009, 09:43:29 am »

Or there's something else going on - there was an email glitch, the person answering the email had a bunch of family demands, etc. It's really hard to tell from the outside about why someone doesn't answer your email.

Thanks, its been a couple of weeks now so i'm going to re-email people just to double check(i generally leave a couple of weeks for people to get back to me).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)