The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2020, 02:43:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 02:43:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Questions  (Read 9981 times)
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 02, 2007, 09:08:33 am »

I know I'm being a pain but I just can't work it out for myself. Is it possible that somebody might tell me how to get a photo from photobucket for an avatar, how to create an avatar, and how to downsize the file size of a jpeg to under 8k? I know I'm being a pain, but if anyone has the time, would they mind explaining it to me like I'm a ten year old? Embarrassed I'm not really expecting anyone to actually have the time to explain it for me, but if anyone does I'll be stoked.

Edited to add: I'm going to get some coffee and go see if I can do it myself again. I really have no idea, it's embarrassing.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 02, 2007, 09:19:57 am »

I know I'm being a pain but I just can't work it out for myself. Is it possible that somebody might tell me how to get a photo from photobucket for an avatar, how to create an avatar, and how to downsize the file size of a jpeg to under 8k? I know I'm being a pain, but if anyone has the time, would they mind explaining it to me like I'm a ten year old? Embarrassed I'm not really expecting anyone to actually have the time to explain it for me, but if anyone does I'll be stoked.

I'd be happy to downsize the file for you.  I'm bored at work today.  Wink  Just post the address of the pic here and I'll get it.

Once you have it, and get it uploaded to Photobucket, go to your profile--the easiest way is to click your name on any post you've made.  In your profile, there's a menu column on the left.  There should be a link on that that's something like "Profile Information" or "Forum Profile Information"--I think it's the first or second link in the "Modify Profile" section of the menu.  The first set of options on that page should be avatars, and there should be a place where you can choose to use an avatar from the Web and put in the address from Photobucket.

Sorry that's kind of vague; it's all off the top of my head.  I'll go back and look at the SMF Basics thread (or whatever I called it) and make sure this info is spelled out more specifically there.  I thought I'd put it in, but you're not the first to ask about it, so maybe I spaced and forgot or didn't get as specific as I should have.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 02, 2007, 09:25:17 am »

I'd be happy to downsize the file for you.  I'm bored at work today.  Wink  Just post the address of the pic here and I'll get it.

Thanks Star, I think I may almost have figured out how to do it anyway so the vagueness is ok, but the downsizing is still giving me trouble. It's at:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/jazzies_tigereyes/IMG_0156webedit.jpg

Thanks. I think I've done that right at least. I hope.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: March 02, 2007, 09:46:41 am »

Thanks. I think I've done that right at least. I hope.

Attaching the new one to this post.  This image is within all the avatar guideline requirements as far as size, width, height, etc.

I'm also going to (at least try to) make use of one of our spiffy new features here and split this discussion off into an Avatar Questions thread over under Board Questions (etc.)--I suspect this info might be useful to other people as well and they'll be able to find it easier that way.  Smiley

[attachment purged 11 Oct 2008-- older than one year]

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 02, 2007, 09:49:21 am »

Much appreciated Star, thanks heaps. I'm glad you were bored at work today and didn't have anything more immediate that required your attention. Lucky me Grin

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: March 02, 2007, 10:00:07 am »

Much appreciated Star, thanks heaps. I'm glad you were bored at work today and didn't have anything more immediate that required your attention. Lucky me Grin

You're welcome!

(Just a reminder to you and other people:  Don't forget to use the "quote" button to reply, to keep the message threading going.  It's not a big deal in threads like this one and the sig test thread and whatever, and this reminder shouldn't be read as anyone being in trouble or anything, I just want to get people in the habit of it.  Since SMF doesn't have the "2331.5 in reply to 2331.4" junk on each message that Beehive does, the links provided by the "quote" button are all we've got to keep who's replying to what specifically straight here.  Sad  See the "Intro to SMF" thread on the Announcements board for more info.  You may see this exact message several times as I try to chivvy people into using this feature; apologies in advance for duplication.  Smiley )

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2007, 10:06:21 am »

Just checking, can I "quote" like this if I want to answer someone and not include any text, only using the quote so they know which message I'm referring to? It sounds like this is what you mean, and it's probably obvious, but I want to use the board properly, so I'm just double checking.

jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 02, 2007, 10:13:09 am »

I meant to say is it ok to use this format to reply to a person, but not anything specific that they said. It's 2:10 am, I think I'll just go to bed before I do anything else stupid Roll Eyes

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: March 02, 2007, 10:17:18 am »

Hooray for SMF again!  While I was typing out the reply below, you posted a reply clarifying what you were asking, so when I went to post my reply, I got a message notifying me that there'd been a reply while I was typing and I might want to read it.  Smiley  Awesome.   The software's still confusing to me (and a lot of other people, I know) in some ways, but it has some really nice features.

Just checking, can I "quote" like this if I want to answer someone and not include any text, only using the quote so they know which message I'm referring to? It sounds like this is what you mean, and it's probably obvious, but I want to use the board properly, so I'm just double checking.

Well...  Barring overruling by the hosts, I think that would satisfy the technical requirements, yes.  And in a situation where you're not replying to anything specific they've said, there's probably no reason to quote text you're not replying to.

Speaking solely as a reader and not as staff, though (i.e. this is just me personally, not an official decision), I've always found it frustrating when people don't quote the text of what they're replying to (when they are replying to something specific).  It's so much easier when the context is right there in front of me instead of making me go back to the replied-to post to see what's being talked about, you know?  Especially now that with one button click the text of the post is inserted for you and there's not even any extra trouble.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 02, 2007, 03:51:47 pm »

Jazzie,

I meant to say is it ok to use this format to reply to a person, but not anything specific that they said.

You can, but it is far easier to follow discussions -- especially ones one hasn't gotten around to reading in a few days, if at least a small part of the text is quoted.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
jazzie
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 02, 2007, 07:43:31 pm »

Jazzie,

You can, but it is far easier to follow discussions -- especially ones one hasn't gotten around to reading in a few days, if at least a small part of the text is quoted.

I'll do that then Grin

disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »

there should be a place where you can choose to use an avatar from the Web and put in the address from Photobucket.

I'm not getting the option to choose a pic from a web address, only the default list.   Huh

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 03, 2007, 06:23:46 pm »

Aelfen,

I'm not getting the option to choose a pic from a web address, only the default list.   Huh

You should have it now that you have been upgraded to the Full Member membergroup.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 03, 2007, 06:36:03 pm »

Aelfen,

You should have it now that you have been upgraded to the Full Member membergroup.

Ahhh, I see.  Thanks. Smiley

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 25, 2007, 10:10:27 am »

I have a photo that is in my Kodak Easy share as a jpeg, how do I make that http to use as my avatar?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)