The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 09:53:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 09:53:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Questions  (Read 9975 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: March 25, 2007, 10:26:27 am »

I have a photo that is in my Kodak Easy share as a jpeg, how do I make that http to use as my avatar?

Unfortunately, that's a service I'm not very familiar with...  I'd suggest looking for some option to share a single photo, to start with.  Some similar services will resize the picture for you so it's an appropriate size for an avatar; if Kodak won't, you'll need to resize it ahead of time.  (We have several members who can probably help you with this.)

Sorry I couldn't be more help...  hopefully someone else here knows more about it!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 25, 2007, 10:30:48 am »

That's ok. Thanks anyway. I guess I will stick with the pretty spider. I don't know what kind it is but it has pinks in it.

Unfortunately, that's a service I'm not very familiar with...  I'd suggest looking for some option to share a single photo, to start with.  Some similar services will resize the picture for you so it's an appropriate size for an avatar; if Kodak won't, you'll need to resize it ahead of time.  (We have several members who can probably help you with this.)

Sorry I couldn't be more help...  hopefully someone else here knows more about it!
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 25, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

I have a photo that is in my Kodak Easy share as a jpeg, how do I make that http to use as my avatar?
I thought I'd take a look at the FAQ's Kodak would have had posted but as I don't have an account there there's only a limited number of FAQ's available to me.  One thing that bothers me is this:

Kodak EasyShare Gallery provides free unlimited online photo storage to you for 12 months from the date you first upload an image to your account. That means you can upload as many photos and develop as many rolls of film as you like.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpAnswerPopup.jsp?answer_id=915&

Twelve months is a little limiting, esp. if you don't continue buying from them.  You could log in one day and find your avatar missing and wonder why.  There's also two levels of service, Regular and Premier so there may be a difference in hosting images there.

Another consideration is bandwidth.  If you're hosting an image on a service to use as an avatar here you'll want to check the bandwidth restrictions.  Everytime someone loads a page with your avatar on it a request is sent to your image host to download a copy of your avatar.  That gets to be a lot of traffic on a busy board like TC.  Even 8KB will add up over time and if you share images there with friends and family that traffic will be even higher.  A host like Kodak may not allow that much resulting in your account being unable to share images for part of the month.  Since I can't find an answer using Kodak's wesite all I can say is that you may want to check that out.

Personally, I use Photobucket, http://www.photobucket.com.  The service is very easy to use, offers a tremendous amount of space and bandwidth (1GB and 10GB, respectively) for a free account and they provide the url's automatically in your album so you can use your images on your website or message board.  They also provide tutorials, http://tutorials.photobucket.com/.

Take a look at their sitemap, http://photobucket.com/sitemap.php, if you'd like a better idea of how they operate.  You can create a free account from one of several links on their main page.

There are several hosts out there like Photobucket if you find you don't care for this one.  I'd offer links but to be completely honest I've never had to look for anything else.  I'm sure a search in your favorite search engine for "image host" would reveal them to you.

Hope this helps out.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #18: March 25, 2007, 11:07:52 am »

There are several hosts out there like Photobucket if you find you don't care for this one.  I'd offer links but to be completely honest I've never had to look for anything else.  I'm sure a search in your favorite search engine for "image host" would reveal them to you.

We've got a list of several recommended ones in the Message Board FAQ:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=94.0

They're right near the top.

I hadn't seen the twelve-month limitation on the Kodak stuff.  Sad  Given that I think I'd have to recommend using one of the other services for sigs and avatars rather than Kodak.  I can just see someone's picture disappearing mysteriously one day...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 25, 2007, 12:19:09 pm »

Thank you very much for all the info. As you probably can tell, I am not that technical. I also get things mixed up. After reading your post I was alarmed about the 12 month thing and showed my bf your post. He said that was the Kodak Easy Share online program, different than the kodak easy share program we have installed. But then he said "Now what is it you are trying to do?" Mind you, I had asked him for help with this before I posted and he said he didn't know. Now it turns out that he probably wasn't really listening, because he says he can do it for me no problem.
I had to run to work (I'm at now) So, I will have my avatar pic up when he returns from a trip he is leaving for today.
Thanks though for the info. I think I am going to join that photobucket that I need for other things too.

I thought I'd take a look at the FAQ's Kodak would have had posted but as I don't have an account there there's only a limited number of FAQ's available to me.  One thing that bothers me is this:

Kodak EasyShare Gallery provides free unlimited online photo storage to you for 12 months from the date you first upload an image to your account. That means you can upload as many photos and develop as many rolls of film as you like.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpAnswerPopup.jsp?answer_id=915&

Twelve months is a little limiting, esp. if you don't continue buying from them.  You could log in one day and find your avatar missing and wonder why.  There's also two levels of service, Regular and Premier so there may be a difference in hosting images there.

Another consideration is bandwidth.  If you're hosting an image on a service to use as an avatar here you'll want to check the bandwidth restrictions.  Everytime someone loads a page with your avatar on it a request is sent to your image host to download a copy of your avatar.  That gets to be a lot of traffic on a busy board like TC.  Even 8KB will add up over time and if you share images there with friends and family that traffic will be even higher.  A host like Kodak may not allow that much resulting in your account being unable to share images for part of the month.  Since I can't find an answer using Kodak's wesite all I can say is that you may want to check that out.

Personally, I use Photobucket, http://www.photobucket.com.  The service is very easy to use, offers a tremendous amount of space and bandwidth (1GB and 10GB, respectively) for a free account and they provide the url's automatically in your album so you can use your images on your website or message board.  They also provide tutorials, http://tutorials.photobucket.com/.

Take a look at their sitemap, http://photobucket.com/sitemap.php, if you'd like a better idea of how they operate.  You can create a free account from one of several links on their main page.

Hope this helps out.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #20: March 25, 2007, 12:40:34 pm »

He said that was the Kodak Easy Share online program, different than the kodak easy share program we have installed.

More confusion! Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a program on your computer; I googled it, came up with the online gallery, and thought that was what you meant.  Cheesy  Good to hear he can help you.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 25, 2007, 01:05:14 pm »

Yea, sorry about that, I didn't know there was an online one. Also, I should have know he could help and asked him again before bothering you all! When he is on his computer I think he just acts like he is listening.  Roll Eyes

More confusion! Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a program on your computer; I googled it, came up with the online gallery, and thought that was what you meant.  Cheesy  Good to hear he can help you.  Smiley
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 25, 2007, 06:43:59 pm »

Thank you very much for all the info. As you probably can tell, I am not that technical. I also get things mixed up. After reading your post I was alarmed about the 12 month thing and showed my bf your post. He said that was the Kodak Easy Share online program, different than the kodak easy share program we have installed.
Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you.  I can see where it would be easy to get confused, especially considering I'm offering info on a program/service I have absolutely no familiarity with.  I pretty much did the same thing Star did and Google'd the service and then jumped to the website.  I'm glad your bf could help sort things out.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 25, 2007, 06:49:42 pm »

Thanks for trying though! I can see that after changing things as I was writing, that my sentences in the post didn't even make sense. Oops.
Yes, my bf is extremely technical, I don't think I could have a computer if I weren't with him.

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you.  I can see where it would be easy to get confused, especially considering I'm offering info on a program/service I have absolutely no familiarity with.  I pretty much did the same thing Star did and Google'd the service and then jumped to the website.  I'm glad your bf could help sort things out.
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 30, 2007, 05:03:54 am »

You can go to photobucket http://photobucket.com/ and create an account (it's free). If you are like me you will probably need help getting it to the right size for the avatar guidelines, and if so, just post in the avatar helpers thread with a link to your photo in photobucket, and I'm sure somebody can help you from there. You'll find the link under your photo, just copy it, and then paste it into your post. I'm not that "up with it" myself, but I thought I'd give you somewhere to start.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 30, 2007, 07:45:02 am »

Thanks. It turns out that my bf can help me after all. Although, I am getting rather attached to the cute pink and yellow spider (all the cute dog ones I wanted are taken)

You can go to photobucket http://photobucket.com/ and create an account (it's free). If you are like me you will probably need help getting it to the right size for the avatar guidelines, and if so, just post in the avatar helpers thread with a link to your photo in photobucket, and I'm sure somebody can help you from there. You'll find the link under your photo, just copy it, and then paste it into your post. I'm not that "up with it" myself, but I thought I'd give you somewhere to start.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)