The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 10:41:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 10:41:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How long we been around?  (Read 21541 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: October 12, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »

As I said to Nigel in pm: I already have a ton of unfinished work already and I'm not going to add to it until I finish a few things.

The killer koalas must remain on my "idea" shelf until my wip shelf gets to be much more vacant.

okay, that makes sense.  I usually toss together a quicky outline at that point and file it. Smiley

and I'm at the same point re: craft projects.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: October 12, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »

okay, that makes sense.  I usually toss together a quicky outline at that point and file it. Smiley

and I'm at the same point re: craft projects.

It has gotten to the point where one thing that I may have to drop one of the things I've been working on for a few years now for an unknown period of time.

So yeah, I'm just going to jot down the idea in a notebook and stash it somewhere.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #62: October 17, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »

Religion and science mesh well for me, always have.  I came from a more mainline church though (United Methodist) and we were told in Sunday school classes that each "day" of creation to God could have been millions of years to a human.  So I have no doubt that carbon dating and other ways we figure out how old stuff is, is fairly accurate.  What exactly are your thoughts on fossils and such? 

The biggest issue I have with people trying to prove creationism is that they're not using scientific methods.  You don't start out with your conclusion and work backwards trying to prove it.  That's not science, that's an attempt to justify a literal interpretation of a set of ancient scriptures.

Much like the fuss over trying to "prove" that the world did actually flood and you can find remains of an ark sitting on top of a mountain somewhere.  I guess those people aren't aware that you can find flood stories throughout the ancient near east?  (Like in Mesopotamia where the story goes that the gods got sick of the noise and overpopulation of humanity and sent a flood to rectify the situation.  Only a sage and his wife survived because a god instructed them to build an ark.  Very popular story even before Genesis came about.)

- OpenHands

Shocked  Shocked I do believe you were somehow listening in on the conversation I had with my neighbor yesterday. Substitute Non-Denominational for United Methodist, and you have my half of the conversation practically word for word.

It's interesting to me how recent conversations outside of this forum tend to mirror the current ones inside the forum - and I didn't start this thread. It's like everyone has the same thing on the brain.

Maybe aliens ARE controlling our minds!!!!! Grin

In case someone missed it, I agree with Open Hands 100%

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: October 17, 2008, 10:20:20 pm »

But the geologic record is full of creatures at different levels - and the creationist argument is that they drowned at different rates and therefore they fell into the fossil record at different rates.

HOWEVER - bony fish do not show up until a certain point, and then are found in the record after that point.  Following that logic - they must have drowned then.

They never actually SAY fish drowned, but it's a logical piece of their argument.

This is also my favorite argument, because it logically requires that the deciduous trees outran the conifers to higher ground.  Tongue
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #64: October 18, 2008, 12:13:24 am »

This is also my favorite argument, because it logically requires that the deciduous trees outran the conifers to higher ground.  Tongue

Well, yeah.  They could run faster after they shed all their leaves.   Roll Eyes

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Roisin Dubh
Apprentice
Last Login:October 23, 2008, 01:45:05 pm

Religion: wiccan

Kindness is the best medicine

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: October 18, 2008, 01:17:08 am »

Enjoying everyone's thoughts on this subject, its likely this earth maybe a compliation of many similiar planets which at some point collided ...perhaps..from my point of view we are eternal beings on a everlasting journey, without beginning or end..now they do say this universe will end in a few billion years, hopefully we will have found a way to escape.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #66: October 18, 2008, 03:28:40 am »

Enjoying everyone's thoughts on this subject, its likely this earth maybe a compliation of many similiar planets which at some point collided ...

I don't recall having heard that one before.  Do you have a source I could take a look at?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #67: October 18, 2008, 08:29:09 am »

Enjoying everyone's thoughts on this subject, its likely this earth maybe a compliation of many similiar planets which at some point collided

The only problem with this idea is that there is no geological evidence to support it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Roisin Dubh
Apprentice
Last Login:October 23, 2008, 01:45:05 pm

Religion: wiccan

Kindness is the best medicine

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: October 18, 2008, 10:30:07 pm »

The only problem with this idea is that there is no geological evidence to support it.

Well, for instance, have you heard of comets and asteroids of immense size, hitting the earth causing catastrophic change? Changes in climates and the annilation of whole species and creation of new ones?..As for even larger pieces in the very early stages of (this) earth's development, with a molten core and the surface at various times a molten mass  in its early history, no doubt much of the evidence was obliterated..
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #69: October 18, 2008, 11:18:14 pm »

Well, for instance, have you heard of comets and asteroids of immense size, hitting the earth causing catastrophic change? Changes in climates and the annilation of whole species and creation of new ones?..As for even larger pieces in the very early stages of (this) earth's development, with a molten core and the surface at various times a molten mass  in its early history, no doubt much of the evidence was obliterated..

That doesn't mean that the ENTIRE record was changed - it means that change happened.

There's a big difference between "this asteroid killed the dinosaurs" and "this asteroid is why we have mammals, they hitched a lift"!

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: October 18, 2008, 11:30:23 pm »

That doesn't mean that the ENTIRE record was changed - it means that change happened.

There's a big difference between "this asteroid killed the dinosaurs" and "this asteroid is why we have mammals, they hitched a lift"!

Thanks Shadow.... I now have this mental picture of the mammals from "Ice Age" clinging to the edge of an asteroid by their toenails, and screaming the whole way to Earth.  Tongue Cheesy

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #71: October 18, 2008, 11:37:15 pm »

Thanks Shadow.... I now have this mental picture of the mammals from "Ice Age" clinging to the edge of an asteroid by their toenails, and screaming the whole way to Earth.  Tongue Cheesy

My work here is done. Cheesy

that's a great image, too.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #72: October 19, 2008, 03:46:37 am »

My work here is done. Cheesy

that's a great image, too.

There's a Season One episode of Futurama where some animals are left clinging to a tiny bit of blown up planet. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #73: October 19, 2008, 08:28:11 am »

Well, for instance, have you heard of comets and asteroids of immense size, hitting the earth causing catastrophic change?

Yes, but that has little or nothing to do with your hypothesis that the Earth was formed by a lot of earth-like planets hiting each other to form this planet.  The Earth was probably formed by its gravity pulling stuff in from the original "dust cloud" but those objects were not other Earth-like objects.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #74: October 19, 2008, 10:28:43 am »

I don't recall having heard that one before.  Do you have a source I could take a look at?

Its called the Planetary Collision Theory, and was already on the way out as a primary explanation when I took geology over 20 years ago. 

I can't find much information on it on the net (not surprising), and my reference material is 2000 miles away.

The closest I could come to an explanation is this Fox News article from March of this year on the planet Venus.  Apply what is said to the entier solar system, and that was the Theory.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334108,00.html

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)