The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 04:43:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:43:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spells and Rhyme  (Read 26625 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 15, 2008, 12:35:37 pm »

Do you feel that spells should rhyme? 

I was wondering how others feel about rhyme and spells. I can see how rhyme would give a spell fluidity and life, but I personally rarely use rhyme.

I was reading (and thoroughly enjoying) a nice little book the other day, but I didn't care for the author's spells. They were just too cute sounding to me and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized it was her rhyme style, which struck me more along the lines of old nursery rhymes. But I suppose nursery rhymes may have been more magically oriented in the first place.

So, I was wondering how rhyme figures into magical work. Exactly how important is rhyme?

Any thoughts?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 15, 2008, 12:52:42 pm »

I

I like my spells to rhyme...just because.  I've used non-rhyming spells, but the rhyming ones seem more magical to me! Wink  For some reason, though, I prefer banishing spells not to rhyme.  For those I usually use very few powerful words, and no cutesie-ness.
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 15, 2008, 01:10:18 pm »

So, I was wondering how rhyme figures into magical work. Exactly how important is rhyme?

Any thoughts?

I don't think spells have to rhyme. I find that using a rhyme helps me remember what needs to be said, which allows me to better focus on my intention and will since I don't have to constantly look at a piece of paper.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 15, 2008, 01:14:20 pm »

The spells I've made didn't rhyme at all. I have sometimes done spells created by someone else, which included rhyme/s, but in these cases I changed the spell to suit me (I'm never confortable enough with someone else's spells, so I add some things and I take out others - and sometimes I end up with a completely different spell than the one I had in the begginning Tongue), and left the poetry out of it. In the spells I've created myself, I didn't even think about making them rhyme. I don't feel rhyme is important in my spells, but that's just me.

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 15, 2008, 01:19:46 pm »

I don't think spells have to rhyme. I find that using a rhyme helps me remember what needs to be said, which allows me to better focus on my intention and will since I don't have to constantly look at a piece of paper.

This is one of the reasons I don't make them rhyme. I've got an awful memory, and I can't remember the right words. So if I just say the words as they come out (thinking carefully which words to use), it's easier for me than trying to remember a rhyme. I will probably mess the rhyme up and need to read it from a paper to be sure of what I'm saying.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 15, 2008, 02:03:38 pm »

Meter helps in a couple of ways - they're easier to say (and to say if you pick up speed), and it makes it easier for a group working together to stay in sync. Rhyme helps with memory, and rhyme is one way it's easier for many people to create a stable meter.

Do I think it's mandatory? Nope. But I think it helps with memorisation, and in my experience of group work, chants designed with a good eye for meter and rhythm definitely seem easier for the group as a whole to work with.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 15, 2008, 02:30:22 pm »

Do I think it's mandatory? Nope. But I think it helps with memorisation, and in my experience of group work, chants designed with a good eye for meter and rhythm definitely seem easier for the group as a whole to work with.

I think especially in group work, this is true. It helps everyone get on the same wavelength, especially for raising energy and in/devoking.

I like to sing, so I often sing spells, or parts of them. They don't always rhyme, and often they are entirely improvised. I also love kirtan and chanting in general, it naturally raises and helps me focus my energy. Anything that helps with that is great, whether it rhymes or not.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 15, 2008, 02:35:50 pm »

Mone have never rhymed, because I'm a lousy poet and whenever I've tried to make them rhyme they sounded lame and stupid. So I basically thought of whatever was in my heart, what the spell's true intention was to be and wrote that down. Sometimes I was able to memorize and sometimes I wasn't. But I think that my intention was the main thing and the God/desses knews what I meant. And it worked well for me.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: October 15, 2008, 02:40:04 pm »

Whatever will work for a person.  Smiley
It's not necessary though.

I like spells that go in a nice rhyme.
I even used spells in English because the translation wouldn't fit a rhyme scheme.

But what works for me too are spells that go like a mantra or a chant.
Precise and rhythmic but not in rhyme.
In that case the rhythm does the trick for me.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 15, 2008, 03:29:06 pm »

I was wondering how others feel about rhyme and spells. I can see how rhyme would give a spell fluidity and life, but I personally rarely use rhyme.

Any thoughts?

I also don't use rhyme in my spells. I also tend to avoid it when I'm working with a group. It's easier to remember a rhyme, and it's easier to say, but I tend to giggle because I'm that person who can't help but giggle at everything. To me rhyming sounds silly, but that's just me. I know a lot of people who use it to help remember spells.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 15, 2008, 05:46:26 pm »

I don't feel they have to, nor do I feel that they should not. I personally do not worry about it as if I had to make my spells rhyme, all my spells would be doggerel.  Wink

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 15, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »

I don't feel they have to, nor do I feel that they should not. I personally do not worry about it as if I had to make my spells rhyme, all my spells would be doggerel.  Wink

lol...yes, it's good to understand where one's true talents lie, and go with that!

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Auditory
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 02, 2010, 10:11:36 pm

Religion: Free spirit

A luscious mix of words and tricks

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 16, 2008, 09:44:54 am »

Not an original sentiment, but I believe you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I had to experiment a little to find what worked for me. Generally, I don't use rhyming spells, but sometimes a rhyme just pops into my head. I feel like those ones have a little extra oomph to them, but I don't force myself to make a rhyme.

And maybe the sing-song fairy tale rhymes work for some people, who knows. (I just generally hate rhymed spells unless I've made the wording myself. Maybe I'm just picky! Haha.)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: October 16, 2008, 10:20:27 am »

Not always.  Certain spells i don't even put into words, if words are inadequate.  I work a lot with pictures and dioramas, just attaching a 'This will be' sort of imperative to it.

When I do use words, though, I like patterns.  Rhyme, alliteration, repetition.  Especially alliteration - it adds a speed and flow to the working, a sense of 'right now' that often helps with things like banishings and emergency callings.

If it's a dignified, stately spell with lots of time to work and the intent is to build up inertia, then I will use a formal disciplined style of poetry, and really work at the form and the words.  I often do blessings this way.  The sort of tingle I feel if others are hearing it is part self-consciousness and part power massing up to be released.

I've happily used doggerel, too.  As long as it fits the intent and mood of the spell, it's in.  I did a quite effective 'stop coming home drunk and waking me up at three am' spell on some neighbours using mocking limericks once.  They started having more problems than it was worth (getting stopped for disorderly conduct half-way home, getting lost, falling into wet bushes - minor annoyances that make for funny limericks) and started coming home less drunk and less late, or just staying wherever they were until they sobered up.  I sometimes wonder if they went back to old patterns once I moved.

That kind of quick rhyme is handy when driving or doing something else that makes more in-depth magic (which usually involves closing my eyes for some reason) unworkable.  The pattern signifies a spell rather than just a comment and I can usually come up with one for any occasion, since critical considerations don't really come into play.  If there is somebody else there to hear it it is sometimes embarrassing, but I tend to use feeling silly as a power source a lot in ritual and spellwork. 

My automatic cantrip for stopping problems I don't have time to think about yet from taking over my head, or banishing thoughts I already know are pointless, is along the lines of a quick 'banished buried burned' with a mental image of one of those big old rubber stamps coming down on a stack of papers.  What the stamp marks on them ranges from a flaming pentagram to a bright red 'file 13', but it usually works immediately.  It is so automatic that I don't always really pay attention to it anymore.  I don't care if the pointless thoughts are gone forever, and the 'problems I can't attend to now' will always come up again at more appropriate times, so doing it automatically doesn't mean they go unresolved forever.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 16, 2008, 11:25:06 am »

My 2 cents

Personally, the spells I write/use tend to rhyme. They just come out that way (mostly), usually with seven syllables per line....don't ask me why, I don't know. I don't think it's a requirement. I do like Tana's idea though - rhythm witout rhyme. I'll have to try that when I'm having difficulty finding an appropriate word in the middle of a spell. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I also agree with Jenett, that the rhyme and meter help greatly in a group setting. Almost all of my rituals are practiced alone, but the few group rituals I have attended used rhyming chants and directives, and even then it took everyone a couple of lines to get in sync. I wonder how long it would have taken without the repetitive rhythms.  Wink

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)