The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 10:12:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 10:12:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle Substitution  (Read 23882 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: October 24, 2008, 08:14:40 am »

I think you've got that backwards.  We see the color of light that is reflected, not absorbed.  (After all, if it's absorbed, it can't very well reach our eyes to be seen.) 

Yes, that's the way it works. It is confusing because as you pointed out mixing colors in paints and such seems to work the opposite way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 24, 2008, 09:37:52 am »

The candle books say that you can substitute any candle color with white candles if you do not have that color on hand.What is your opinion on that? Also, you can substitute orange candle for black if you do not like black candles. What do you think?

I've done white or "neutral" colored candles before.  (I've got some little natural beeswax tapers that are great.  I think of them as the candle equivalent of pasta - they can take on lots of different flavors.)

I like black candles, although they can sometimes be hard to find.  (Not this time of year, though.)  Personally, I would substitute orange for black if you were going for "Halloween ambiance".  Otherwise, if I was paying attention to color, I would use orange and black for different things.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: October 24, 2008, 09:41:59 am »

I think you've got that backwards.  We see the color of light that is reflected, not absorbed.  (After all, if it's absorbed, it can't very well reach our eyes to be seen.)  Thus, white light is the sum of all colors because it's what we see when our eyes are getting the full visible spectrum reflected back at them.  Black is the absence of color because it reflects nothing back.

Of course, just to be confusing, if you're melting wax for a candle and trying to make white it's the exact opposite...  Mixing all colors together will likely get you something approximating black (because you're combining the filters of all the different colors of wax and eventually blocking *everything*), whereas if you want white you can't mix anything else in with the white.

Well it was close to 1 AM when I last posted and I went to bed immediately after.  And when I woke up, I smacked my head  knowing I messed up Smiley

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 24, 2008, 01:40:48 pm »

Just a question; Why don't you want to use black candles?

Oh I'll use black candles,but sometimes they are unavailable.It's a book that said to"use orange instead of black if you're uncomfortable with black" I've had good success using white on the Saturn hour, or Saturday,instead of black because I did not have them.

My cats are my kids.
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 24, 2008, 01:45:14 pm »

Oh I'll use black candles,but sometimes they are unavailable.It's a book that said to"use orange instead of black if you're uncomfortable with black" I've had good success using white on the Saturn hour, or Saturday,instead of black because I did not have them.

Just out of curiousity......which book?

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 24, 2008, 05:53:01 pm »

Just out of curiousity......which book?

It is called "Candle Therapy" by Dr. Catherine Riggs-Bergesen. (Other Worldly Waxes) if you would like to order the book.

My cats are my kids.
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 24, 2008, 07:59:57 pm »

It is called "Candle Therapy" by Dr. Catherine Riggs-Bergesen. (Other Worldly Waxes) if you would like to order the book.

This orange for black is certainly a new one for me as well...
sodapopninja
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 01, 2010, 03:44:19 am

Religion: Some sort of pagan

Voracious Devourer of Books

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 25, 2008, 12:46:28 am »

What do you think?

I've always subscribed to this idea, particularly because white light is made up of all the colors (at least I think so- the back-and-forth in this thread has me second-guessing myself!). But when I am substituting white for another color, I include something of the 'missing' color- a ribbon, or an appropriately colored stone. White has its own associations as a color unto itself so I find it important to reinforce the color sympathy in a spell with something else when all I have is a white candle.

On another note, I save some money buying a box of white tealights/chime candles and votives as needed rather than keeping a whole rainbow in stock. Smiley
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 25, 2008, 08:22:59 am »

On another note, I save some money buying a box of white tealights/chime candles and votives as needed rather than keeping a whole rainbow in stock. Smiley

That is a good idea.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: October 25, 2008, 09:09:03 am »

The candle books say that you can substitute any candle color with white candles if you do not have that color on hand.What is your opinion on that? Also, you can substitute orange candle for black if you do not like black candles. What do you think?

I think color choices are completely up to the individual. My color associations don't match many by-the-book recommendations.

Many people use green for money for example, I suppose that stems from the U.S. green ink paper money. But to me green is the color of nature and regeneration, not financial gain. It is also connected to a certain God I honor who I would think might not take kindly to me using green (his color) for my personal gain. I don't use orange candles for anything because for me the color orange has been associated with upheavals in my life.

Color choices can be very personal and very individual practice specific, to say you can only use a certain color because some book says so, well, magic isn't one size fits all. To my way of thinking the only color guide-book you should be going by is one where you are the author. 
LadyRaine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2009, 06:55:01 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 25, 2008, 01:02:06 pm »

Although I like to use the appropriate clolours if poss, i'm a big believer in the 'it's what you make of it' school of thought. If you need this candle for something specific how about inscribing it with your intentions as well as charging and annointing?

Oh I very much agree with this one.  I find for myself it's more important to "personalize" than grab the right color out of the box.  Not to mention that you'll find a million different "uses" for each candle color depending on the source, so it's really a matter of opinion a lot of the time anyway.

For myself I like to just make sure if I DO have a particular color in mind for a spell that I use a plain old regular unscented candle of that color (as opposed to some smelly "home decor" type of candle).  The white is always a safe bet and I always have a white candle burning before lighting ANY other candle of ANY color.  If you start with a basic mini taper, for example, that has no scent you can anoint it with the appropriate oil, inscribe it with whatever you like, roll it in herbs etc.

Since I always use at least one white candle in every spell I often use those smaller white taper "emergency candles" that you can buy for blackouts.  I know it sounds kind of ridiculous, but those things burn forever and don't make as much of a mess as some of the regular ones.  Votives are always a cheap and useful alternative as well, though.

I'm also careful to never EVER blow out a candle used for spellworking!  It's considered disrespectful to the Gods in several different religions and I agree with this myself so I always either pinch them out or snuff them out if I can't let them burn all the way down which is the preferable way to do it.

I have also never heard of this "orange for black" theory either.  Typically in candle magick the orange candle is used for attraction, energy, confidence etc.  which is really not very similar to the uses for black, so I wouldn't suggest using that as a substitution.  Maybe brown would be a better alternative being a fairly neutral color?
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 25, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »

I love black candles. Have about twenty at home Cheesy. Are you plans to change from black to orange colours in relation to a Samhain ritual or what other purpose do you want to use the candles for? If it is for a drawing away negativity spell I don't know that orange will suffice, but white may. I like a bit of candle magick but do not have my books with me (at work atm;)) so will look into it when I get home. Have you read a bit on candle magick? Might be a few sites that have some substitute candle work if black isn't your thing.

Just a question; Why don't you want to use black candles?
uggh...LUCKY cause i sometimes need them and just can't seem to ever find them!!! but i don't really like the idea of using orange insted of black 'cause this one time i wanted to do a spell that needed an orange and a black candle for two different purposes! and i totally agree.  whats wrong with black candles??

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 25, 2008, 11:21:33 pm »

I've always subscribed to this idea, particularly because white light is made up of all the colors (at least I think so- the back-and-forth in this thread has me second-guessing myself!). But when I am substituting white for another color, I include something of the 'missing' color- a ribbon, or an appropriately colored stone. White has its own associations as a color unto itself so I find it important to reinforce the color sympathy in a spell with something else when all I have is a white candle.

That is a fantastic idea! Noted that one down, thank-you!! Grin
uggh...LUCKY cause i sometimes need them and just can't seem to ever find them!!! but i don't really like the idea of using orange insted of black 'cause this one time i wanted to do a spell that needed an orange and a black candle for two different purposes! and i totally agree.  whats wrong with black candles??

It is also "halloween" in Australia and a lovely store named "Dusk" has the most beautiful collection of candles. This season they ran out of the tradtional halloween pumpkin candles *sob* but they had at least a hundred of black pillar candles left and I took 20 of them. Most beautiful. Such a dark and thick black! Cheesy
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 27, 2008, 06:06:33 pm »

It is also "halloween" in Australia and a lovely store named "Dusk" has the most beautiful collection of candles. This season they ran out of the tradtional halloween pumpkin candles *sob* but they had at least a hundred of black pillar candles left and I took 20 of them. Most beautiful. Such a dark and thick black! Cheesy
It ia almost Halloween here in Canada too.  Hmm...maybe they'll get some in at Dollarama!  Hey do you get snow or have Dollaramas in Australia?  Everything for a dollar.  Adds up pretty quickly though... when we lived in Manitoba there was a store with everything for 99cents!  My friend's dad gave her $80 once and she spent it all at Dollarama...OK now i'm rambling.  ByeBye

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 27, 2008, 07:43:30 pm »

It ia almost Halloween here in Canada too.  Hmm...maybe they'll get some in at Dollarama!  Hey do you get snow or have Dollaramas in Australia?  Everything for a dollar.  Adds up pretty quickly though... when we lived in Manitoba there was a store with everything for 99cents!  My friend's dad gave her $80 once and she spent it all at Dollarama...OK now i'm rambling.  ByeBye

Hehehe. We have Two Dollar Shops in the southern states and if you think about the exchange rate that would most likely be the equivalent of the Dollarama. Cheesy
No it doesn't snow in my state but it does snow breifly in the southern states. Shame, as I love snow. *I am originally from the southern states but moved up with my mother a few years ago*

BTW, I say "halloween" because everyone in Australia follows the northern hemisphere's holidays and I like to celebrate themed holidays but not religiously.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)