The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 09:10:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 09:10:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle Substitution  (Read 23880 times)
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 28, 2008, 12:08:46 am »

The candle books say that you can substitute any candle color with white candles if you do not have that color on hand.What is your opinion on that? Also, you can substitute orange candle for black if you do not like black candles. What do you think?

I think it only depends on whether or not you adhere to a specific color correspondence system, and how strictly. (And personally, I see most correspondence systems as largely irrelevant at best)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thesilverbow
Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2012, 04:29:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: October 28, 2008, 09:50:18 am »

The candle books say that you can substitute any candle color with white candles if you do not have that color on hand.What is your opinion on that? Also, you can substitute orange candle for black if you do not like black candles. What do you think?

I don't use colour correspondences in my practice because I don't feel that it makes a difference, and besides witches of the past weren't likely to have been worrying about a green candle for money or a pink one for love etc. I much prefer to use organic/beeswax candles with no colouring and just spend longer sitting and mentally prepare myself.

Really you only need to conentrate on your goal. The colour of the candle doesn't matter a jot -- don't forget that the idea behind colour correspondeces is purely just to help the practitioner concentrate.
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #32: October 28, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »

I don't use colour correspondences in my practice because I don't feel that it makes a difference, and besides witches of the past weren't likely to have been worrying about a green candle for money or a pink one for love etc. I much prefer to use organic/beeswax candles with no colouring and just spend longer sitting and mentally prepare myself.

Really you only need to conentrate on your goal. The colour of the candle doesn't matter a jot -- don't forget that the idea behind colour correspondeces is purely just to help the practitioner concentrate.

I agree, the color just helps you communicate with your subconscious. The one exception IMO would be having to do with candles that you designate to represent diety(s).I would stick to colors that they have shown preferences/are known for, or gold (gods), silver (goddesses) or white. This is mainly out of respect for them. I wouldn't want to unknowingly use a color that a particular diety disliked, or a color that corresponded to one of their nemesis(s) (I don't know the plural form of nemesis  Huh) That's just me though....

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 28, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »

I agree, the color just helps you communicate with your subconscious. The one exception IMO would be having to do with candles that you designate to represent diety(s).I would stick to colors that they have shown preferences/are known for, or gold (gods), silver (goddesses) or white. This is mainly out of respect for them. I wouldn't want to unknowingly use a color that a particular diety disliked, or a color that corresponded to one of their nemesis(s) (I don't know the plural form of nemesis  Huh) That's just me though....

I agree with you there...I love purple and red but most likely the deity will take that into a different context and my message will get confused therefor hindering our relationship for awhile.  Lips sealed
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 29, 2008, 06:04:58 pm »

Although I like to use the appropriate clolours if poss, i'm a big believer in the 'it's what you make of it' school of thought. If you need this candle for something specific how about inscribing it with your intentions as well as charging and annointing?

Personalise your candle, energy is way more important than colour in some things...depends on what your doing though I guess, and how strict you are on ritual and by the book spellcasting.

Being a bit kitchen Witchy I do tend to improvise!

That is exactly how I feel about it, being witchy myself. I might even try the orange someday for black but I wonder what astrological hour to put it on?Or if I should even pretend it's a black candle.

My cats are my kids.
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: October 29, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »

Hehehe. We have Two Dollar Shops in the southern states and if you think about the exchange rate that would most likely be the equivalent of the Dollarama. Cheesy
No it doesn't snow in my state but it does snow breifly in the southern states. Shame, as I love snow. *I am originally from the southern states but moved up with my mother a few years ago*

BTW, I say "halloween" because everyone in Australia follows the northern hemisphere's holidays and I like to celebrate themed holidays but not religiously.
cool.  i love snow too, especially the skiing part.  my friend moved from the Phillipenes this summer so her and her little brother were very thrilled when it snowed a few weeks ago(too soon for us though  so it melted right away).  i'll still say that my favourite season is autum though. sorry for getting so off topic..... Grin

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #36: November 05, 2008, 12:59:54 am »

To me, a candle is a candle. If you have the colored candles on hand, go for it...

Unless you specifically need it, don't go wasting money on getting a color candle when you can use what you have on hand.

It's called being a "Thrifty Witch" as one of my teachers put it. Neither of my teachers believed in using a specific colored candle, but when it came to necessity and the working at hand... they would use whatever color they had with them and use it to direct the energy... But in dire cases, they'd run and buy the colored ones... Grin
nikkiwitch
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: November 05, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »

To me, a candle is a candle. If you have the colored candles on hand, go for it...

Unless you specifically need it, don't go wasting money on getting a color candle when you can use what you have on hand.

It's called being a "Thrifty Witch" as one of my teachers put it.

Just had to pop in and tell you how much I like "Thrifty Witch"

My cats are my kids.
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #38: November 05, 2008, 03:34:47 pm »

Just had to pop in and tell you how much I like "Thrifty Witch"

Why spend hundreds of dollars (unless you want to) when you can go to Dollar Tree or Salvation Army or Goodwill?
nikkiwitch
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: November 06, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »

Why spend hundreds of dollars (unless you want to) when you can go to Dollar Tree or Salvation Army or Goodwill?

I used to spend about forty dollars a week on magical supplies until I realized I could get some of the same things for cheaper in the supermarket,like white candles for instance-A dollar a piece in the metaphysical store,I can get a whole box of Sabbat candles in the Pathmark in the Kosher isle.I can also get much more sea salt for a nice price.Some people will pay these high prices in the occult store because they think that it makes it more special, more magical.

My cats are my kids.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: November 06, 2008, 06:26:33 pm »

Some people will pay these high prices in the occult store because they think that it makes it more special, more magical.

To be fair, many pay them because they don't realize that many things like candles, sea salt, and many herbs are available elsewhere at lower prices.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 20, 2008, 08:15:22 am

Religion: Greco-Roman recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: November 06, 2008, 08:32:14 pm »

I used to spend about forty dollars a week on magical supplies until I realized I could get some of the same things for cheaper in the supermarket,like white candles for instance-A dollar a piece in the metaphysical store,I can get a whole box of Sabbat candles in the Pathmark in the Kosher isle.I can also get much more sea salt for a nice price.Some people will pay these high prices in the occult store because they think that it makes it more special, more magical.

I, too, used to wait for sales on candles, and really stock up on the cheapie ones.  Then I read somewhere that cheap candles have petroleum distillates in them, lead in the wicks and when it's winter and I'm in a closed room, perhaps the burning of these candles aren't the healthiest.   Tongue

Now, I burn less numbers of candles, because I get the more expensive organic beeswax or soy candles with cotton wicks.

"Truth is an iron bride."
Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: November 06, 2008, 09:09:21 pm »

I, too, used to wait for sales on candles, and really stock up on the cheapie ones.  Then I read somewhere that cheap candles have petroleum distillates in them, lead in the wicks and when it's winter and I'm in a closed room, perhaps the burning of these candles aren't the healthiest.   Tongue

Now, I burn less numbers of candles, because I get the more expensive organic beeswax or soy candles with cotton wicks.

I tend to buy cheap tea lights but do like to get the bargain bins (or the nicer candles) for ritual and meditation. There is special feeling I can't describe when I am burning a more exspensive (and usually handmade) candle then cheaper brands. It may indeed be this petroleum distillates you speak of. Would make sense to me.

I also tend to buy soy candles from a lovely pagan lady nearby who makes them herself and has some very interesting scents. She puts them in the most beautiful little bags or glass holders that I can refill at a cheaper cost than the original purchase. Very affordable and very lovely candles. Most of them last 36 hours even though they fit in the palm of your hand. Amazing. I have lost her contact details, though, for refilling which is a bit disappointing but hopefully I will find further information via the internet. hehehehe.
nikkiwitch
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: November 06, 2008, 09:44:10 pm »

To be fair, many pay them because they don't realize that many things like candles, sea salt, and many herbs are available elsewhere at lower prices.

There are people out there that know the cheaper prices, but do think that their candles and other things are much more special,have better vibes than the supermarket.

My cats are my kids.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: November 06, 2008, 10:41:01 pm »

There are people out there that know the cheaper prices, but do think that their candles and other things are much more special,have better vibes than the supermarket.

They certainly are out there, but not everyone buying the expensive stuff falls into this grouping -- and many people mistakenly think just about everyone does.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)