The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 08:57:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 08:57:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle Substitution  (Read 23879 times)
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am
United States United States

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #45: November 06, 2008, 10:45:53 pm »

They certainly are out there, but not everyone buying the expensive stuff falls into this grouping -- and many people mistakenly think just about everyone does.

If I were to have the money to do so, then sure I would do it... Nothing wrong with wanting what you feel is best or prefer to buy... Totally up to the individual...

I'm just one of those, not to overuse the term, "Thrifty Witches"... I actually have a pair of scissors that I had at home and are silver-plated... I use them often... especially to cut off certain energies or whatever I need to use it for... I did pay only $9 for my pendulum and my tarot cards were $25... If my tarot were $100 it wouldn't make them any better or any worse... what matters the most, or should matter the most, is that the individual connects with the item/tool and make it work for them...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: November 06, 2008, 10:56:51 pm »

If I were to have the money to do so, then sure I would do it... Nothing wrong with wanting what you feel is best or prefer to buy... Totally up to the individual...

I'm just one of those, not to overuse the term, "Thrifty Witches"... I actually have a pair of scissors that I had at home and are silver-plated... I use them often... especially to cut off certain energies or whatever I need to use it for... I did pay only $9 for my pendulum and my tarot cards were $25... If my tarot were $100 it wouldn't make them any better or any worse... what matters the most, or should matter the most, is that the individual connects with the item/tool and make it work for them...

I actually wouldn't mind making my own tarot card set, to connect a little more with them, but I'm a horrible drawer. I am planning on making my own rune set as that doesn't involve any drawing creativity Cheesy
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #47: November 06, 2008, 10:58:55 pm »

I am planning on making my own rune set as that doesn't involve any drawing creativity Cheesy

Actually not a bad idea...
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #48: November 10, 2008, 04:35:36 pm »

There are people out there that know the cheaper prices, but do think that their candles and other things are much more special,have better vibes than the supermarket.

If you really want "better vibes" in your candles, make them yourself. This way it's *your* vibes in the candle.  Wink

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: November 10, 2008, 06:13:52 pm »

If you really want "better vibes" in your candles, make them yourself. This way it's *your* vibes in the candle.  Wink

oooh yes I am planning on doing this sometime in the future Cheesy Will be fun!
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: November 17, 2008, 11:32:12 am »

I find this subject interesting. When we think about the old days pagans got on with what they had on hand; for the most part they didn't have the means to shope for many of their essential needs. Many of them used the simplest essentials for their lamps and making their own candles, as well. I think this mania of having all things "pure": pure beeswax for candles, etc. etc. has totally gotten out of hand. Nowadays the purest of things in life are luxury. Leather, for example, was at one time necessary for clothes and other necessities, now it is considered a luxury item. The same goes for magic props. We don't need to go out of our way to have the best props for our magic practice; they best thing is to be able to make our own when possible, and when it's not possible, well, then we can always go to the "thrift shop" and get what we need. After all, it's the intent that counts when performing magic, not the purity of the prop.

Midnightrider

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."
JackDawson
Last Login:November 21, 2008, 08:28:13 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: November 21, 2008, 08:53:51 am »

[text removed for probable copyright issues -- Randall]

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:54:25 pm by RandallS, Reason: text removed for probable copyright issues -- Randall » Logged
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: November 21, 2008, 09:01:22 am »

Most of us have performed our first act of candle magic by the time we are two years old.

I'm sure I've read this before somewhere...?

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #53: November 21, 2008, 09:18:32 am »

Me too.  Part of it is in the Internet Book of Shadows on Sacred Texts, and I've seen other parts on other sites.

Jack Dawson,

Please see our Copyright Guidelines under the Rules link at the top of the page.  A link to the copyrighted material is fine, but c/p ing the whole thing here is unacceptable unless your are yourself the author.

Marilyn
Message Board Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: November 21, 2008, 09:19:22 am »

It's perfectly acceptable to respond to a question with a focused answer rather than a general essay which may contain one or two relevant points.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #55: November 21, 2008, 06:39:22 pm »

And I could bet I have the book from which it's taken, because I've read it in English and I don't have many of those.
But can't remember now...of course this is now going to drive me nuts til I find out. *lol*  Grin

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #56: November 22, 2008, 04:18:55 pm »

I find this subject interesting. When we think about the old days pagans got on with what they had on hand; for the most part they didn't have the means to shope for many of their essential needs. Many of them used the simplest essentials for their lamps and making their own candles, as well. I think this mania of having all things "pure": pure beeswax for candles, etc. etc. has totally gotten out of hand. Nowadays the purest of things in life are luxury. Leather, for example, was at one time necessary for clothes and other necessities, now it is considered a luxury item. The same goes for magic props. We don't need to go out of our way to have the best props for our magic practice; they best thing is to be able to make our own when possible, and when it's not possible, well, then we can always go to the "thrift shop" and get what we need. After all, it's the intent that counts when performing magic, not the purity of the prop.

Midnightrider

I "make" my own candles - sometimes right before a ritual - by melting down cheap emergency candles and "rebuilding" them. Once in a blue moon I will spring for the expensive materials though.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)