The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 09:34:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 09:34:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Online Magic School?  (Read 3597 times)
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 05:18:30 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 25, 2008, 03:56:06 pm »

Aside from the fact that the banner looks a little pre-school (with all the pretty, blended colors), how much stock would someone put into this?  I came across it from an email I received and started looking into it.  Some of the courses look interesting enough; what are your thoughts?

Real Magic School

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 25, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »

Aside from the fact that the banner looks a little pre-school (with all the pretty, blended colors), how much stock would someone put into this?  I came across it from an email I received and started looking into it.  Some of the courses look interesting enough; what are your thoughts?

Real Magic School

I've known Isaac for a number of years, and have found his writings to clear and concise.  I've also attended a lot of his lectures and bought his teaching tapes years ago. 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 25, 2008, 05:08:13 pm »

Aside from the fact that the banner looks a little pre-school (with all the pretty, blended colors), how much stock would someone put into this? 

Isaac Bonewits is quite knowledgable and has all the experience he claims. He writes well. Whether he can pull off an online magic school or not is another question, but I not automatically skeptical on this one as I am on most.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 26, 2008, 02:17:53 pm »

I've known Isaac for a number of years, and have found his writings to clear and concise.  I've also attended a lot of his lectures and bought his teaching tapes years ago.

Isaac Bonewits is quite knowledgable and has all the experience he claims. He writes well. Whether he can pull off an online magic school or not is another question, but I not automatically skeptical on this one as I am on most.

Thank you both for your input.  I'm looking for something I can do online where I'm learning all the time, and I get a little cautious about things of this nature.  Like the last topic I posted here, I feel that there are enough people on this forum who know who's a hack and who isn't.  Seeing as how both of you are very prominent members/owner of the forum, I take your word on things of this nature.  (That whole thing sounded like a big, run-on sentence; I apologize.)  I'll see how things go with it being online, and I can let you know how it goes, if you like.

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 26, 2008, 03:09:08 pm »

Seeing as how both of you are very prominent members/owner of the forum, I take your word on things of this nature.  (That whole thing sounded like a big, run-on sentence; I apologize.) 

As neither of us have taken any courses from this school nor does the school have a long track record to look at, our opinions aren't really that reliable as to whether it is worth it. We both know Isaac and consider him knowledgeable and not noted for con jobs, but that's really all we know about this, unfortunately

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 26, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »

As neither of us have taken any courses from this school nor does the school have a long track record to look at, our opinions aren't really that reliable as to whether it is worth it. We both know Isaac and consider him knowledgeable and not noted for con jobs, but that's really all we know about this, unfortunately

Have to concur with Randall. 

On the plus side, you will be dealing with a person who is known to be knowledgeable in what he is teaching.

On the down side, we don't know how well Isaac can do distance learning, or wether the website is set up effectively to handle distance learning.  Nor do we know if magic, beyond theory, can be effectively taught via distance learning.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 26, 2008, 11:13:16 pm »

Real Magic School

I agree with Randall. I've always have great respect for Isaac Bonewits. But since the school hasn't been there long, I can't give you anymore advice than that. But please keep us posted on how your schooling goes and whether or not you'd recommend it to others.

Rigantona, Great Queen
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 28, 2008, 05:01:24 am »

Just don't try to ask him a question...at least not in person anyway.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 28, 2008, 06:54:08 am »

Just don't try to ask him a question...at least not in person anyway.

I don't know, I don't seem to recall any problems with getting answers in person.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 30, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »

Aside from the fact that the banner looks a little pre-school (with all the pretty, blended colors),

I kinda like that font.

I can't add much else. I've heard nothing bad about Isaac Bonewits. I just don't put much stock in online learning for magical topics. How do you teach moving/raising energy if you can't feel what your student is doing? Or if the student can't feel what you do?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)