The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 05:39:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 05:39:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moon phases in your magic(k)al practice?  (Read 4229 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 28, 2008, 03:13:51 am »

Are you doing specific kinds of magic(k) at specific moon phases?

How serious do you take moon phases? Would you wait for the right moment to do a certain spell, work etc.?

What's most important about the moon in your magic(k)al practice? Waxing/waning or the amount of fullness? Do zodiacal signs of the moon matter for you at all?
For example:
  • If you work with the full moon, does it matter to you if it's waxing to the full or waning from the full at the moment?
  • If you work more with the waxing/waning aspect, does it matter to you if the waxing moon has just been a new moon or if it is a few hours away from being full?

With what kind of calendar do you work? Do you just look at the day or does it matter to you at all in which hour exactly the moon will be full, new etc.? How do you define full or new for your work? In what time frame is the moon full or new to you?

Are there any moon phases or constellations where you don't perform magic(k) at all?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 28, 2008, 05:11:24 am »

How serious do you take moon phases? Would you wait for the right moment to do a certain spell, work etc.?

What's most important about the moon in your magic(k)al practice? Waxing/waning or the amount of fullness? Do zodiacal signs of the moon matter for you at all?
For example:
  • If you work with the full moon, does it matter to you if it's waxing to the full or waning from the full at the moment?
  • If you work more with the waxing/waning aspect, does it matter to you if the waxing moon has just been a new moon or if it is a few hours away from being full?

With what kind of calendar do you work? Do you just look at the day or does it matter to you at all in which hour exactly the moon will be full, new etc.? How do you define full or new for your work? In what time frame is the moon full or new to you?

Are there any moon phases or constellations where you don't perform magic(k) at all?

I do not work magick so often just becouse I donīt work it jus for fun and and I donīt have need for it so often. But when I do I like the phase of the Moon to be right for the purpose. Waxing moon for increasing and growing and waning for decreasing and letting go. New moon for new projects and so on. Most often I work magick during the Full moon and New moon. I feel that on full moon some kind of spiritual awareness seems to be on itīs peak so it fits for working magick very well. I can quite easily go lunatic on full moon so it has an extra amount of power in my case that I have only then and I like to put that on use.

Thereīs other ways to choose the timing for magick like planetary hours so itīs not always about the moon. But yes, Moon is the one that matters almost always when considering the right timing.

This far I have never worked magick on the dark of the moon. There have never been a reason and I do not actually even know would it be good idea at all. Iīd like to hear if someone knows better.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 28, 2008, 07:39:26 am »

Depends on what I'm doing. If we're structuring something for a full moon ritual (which involves multiple people's schedules), we schedule the ritual first, and then adapt the working if needed to reflect where the moon actually falls. Most of the time, we run with what feels right for that particular month, rather than doing the relevant calculations in detail (i.e. I look at whether we're waxing full or waning full, but not necessarily exactly where the moon is), because there are more things that go into deciding an effective ritual than where the moon is. However, most of our moon rituals are not heavily magical.

When I'm doing personal work where I've got a wider range of scheduling options, I do look if I think it's going to be relevant. (For serious magical work, it probably is. For personal ritual/divination/meditation, maybe not.) And I'm particularly attentive to ritual work where I'm starting a new longer process (a focus on a particular area, a commitment toward something.)

For example:

[/quote]

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 28, 2008, 09:05:50 am »

I do a full moon and new moon ritual, some divination at the full moon, but usually just the ritual

How serious do you take moon phases? Would you wait for the right moment to do a certain spell, work etc

I take it pretty seriously.  I plant my garden and harvest by the sign of the moon, do banishing work during the waning moon, even cut my hair by the moon.

The exact moment is not important to me.  I try to do my ritual as the moon is waxing/nearly full or waning/nearly new, but I can't always do things at the exact moment.

I think I answered this above.  Full is...full, still waxing if it's possible.  Rarely do I do anything "full moon" during a waning moon, even if it's just an hour past full.  I just use a regular calendar.
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 28, 2008, 10:18:56 am »

What's most important about the moon in your magic(k)al practice? Waxing/waning or the amount of fullness?

I probably won't add anything different than what's already been posted, but I'll throw my $.02 in anyway.

For starters, I keep a copy of a moon phase calendar with the exact times and dates of the phases of the moon. While it would be ideal for me to work at exact moments, my children often prevent this from happening. I just get as close to the right time as I am able. You can find these calendars online. The one I'm currently using you can find at     http://www.wicca.com  It's created using EST, but I can easily adapt it to my own timezone.

I will wait and do certain spells at certain times, unless it's absolutely imperitive that they be done immediately (which is rare). I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but I figure that extra punch of energy from the moon will move things along faster.

Do zodiacal signs of the moon matter for you at all?

It just depends on the purpose of the spell and how important (to me) it is to do the spell right away. Take November's (2008) full moon......it's on the 13th, which is a Thursday, at 2:17 am (my time). I may not be able to stay up that late, so my full moon ritual will probably be done a bit before the moon is technically "full," and still on the waxing side. If during my ritual I am trying to bring something to me, this would be fine, and I wouldn't worry about the moon not being 100% full.

OTOH, if I need to do a banishing of some sort, I would do my normal full moon ritual on the 13th, include the banishing as part of the ritual, and then reinforce just the banishing part of the ritual on the next night when the moon is waning.

Yes, when I need a specific thing, I will try to start longtime goals when the moon is waxing right after being new. Shorttime goals I tend to start right before the full moon if possible.

All of this being said, If I need something done immediately, it really doesn't make much difference to me which phase the moon is in. The moon doesn't change through the phases, just the way we perceive the moon changes. 

I will also use the tides (high versus low), if possible, to determine when to do a particular spell.

Since I don't know all that much about Astrology, I don't worry about the Zodiacal signs of the moon. I am beginning to study Astrology though, and probably will include them in my practice once I know what I'm doing. 

I hope this answers your questions!

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 28, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »

I take no notice of the moon phases at all.

I rarely perform magic but if I do then I am highly motivated to do so then. Waiting until the moon was "right" would be counterproductive for me as I would lose too much  of the necessary intent.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 28, 2008, 05:05:11 pm »

I don't tend to include the moon's energy in my magical work, and therefore I don't do certain spells at certain moon phases. Which is a bit shocking really; considering how the magic I practice is nature-based. I tend to draw on the energies of the herbs/spices/oils that I use, and also the elements, as opposed to the moon.

I have considered tying in my magical work to the phases of the moon, but to be honest I don't like the idea of waiting around for the right moon phase to come along. It would be interesting to see if my magic became any more powerful if it corresponded with the moon, though.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.