The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 04:53:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 04:53:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a deity.  (Read 4561 times)
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2008, 02:08:51 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 28, 2008, 02:20:59 pm »

Merry Meet everyone! I was meditating today trying to contact my personal deity and an effort to find one that is right for me. I had this vision of this lovely Irish woman. Full red hair, healthy but voluptous body, soft voice, caring eyes, surrounded and loved by animals and people alike. Does anyone know a Goddess that resembles this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 28, 2008, 02:46:38 pm »

I had this vision of this lovely Irish woman. Full red hair, healthy but voluptous body, soft voice, caring eyes, surrounded and loved by animals and people alike. Does anyone know a Goddess that resembles this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

That sounds quite a bit like Brighid.  Did you happen to notice what kinds of animals were with Her?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 28, 2008, 07:37:43 pm »

That sounds quite a bit like Brighid.  Did you happen to notice what kinds of animals were with Her?
Wildlife, birds around her head, squirrels and cats rubbing against her legs, horses and what not around her body. Her voice was this lovely lilt as well.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 28, 2008, 11:29:23 pm »

Wildlife, birds around her head, squirrels and cats rubbing against her legs, horses and what not around her body. Her voice was this lovely lilt as well.

Given the kind of animals, this sounds a bit more like Flidais than Brighid.  Flidais is associated more with wild, forest animals.  Brighid is specifically associated with cows and sheep.

I don't know much about Flidais, but someone else here might.

Edited to add:  Why don't you ask Her who She is?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 29, 2008, 12:41:17 am »

Given the kind of animals, this sounds a bit more like Flidais than Brighid.  Flidais is associated more with wild, forest animals.  Brighid is specifically associated with cows and sheep.

I don't know much about Flidais, but someone else here might.

Edited to add:  Why don't you ask Her who She is?

Honestly, I never even thought of asking her. I don't even think I would know how. lol I would be so afraid of being hurt if I didn't get an answer. Thank you though, I may meditate on it tomorrow and ask. I will also research Flidais.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 29, 2008, 11:50:23 am »

Honestly, I never even thought of asking her. I don't even think I would know how. lol I would be so afraid of being hurt if I didn't get an answer. Thank you though, I may meditate on it tomorrow and ask. I will also research Flidais.

It never hurts to ask! I have a Goddess that I kept seeing for a long while before I finally got up the courage to ask. I should have done it sooner, she was very forthcoming with her name and why she was there once I started talking to her.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 29, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »

It never hurts to ask! I have a Goddess that I kept seeing for a long while before I finally got up the courage to ask. I should have done it sooner, she was very forthcoming with her name and why she was there once I started talking to her.

I meditated on it last night before bed, and nothing came via dreams. I am wondering now if I even really saw her at all or if I am just loosing it! lol. Today however I will break out my Crystal cards, light my candle and see what happens. Has anyone else had trouble finding their own personal Deity?
ertha
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 27, 2009, 06:33:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchen witch with atheistic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 29, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »

I meditated on it last night before bed, and nothing came via dreams. I am wondering now if I even really saw her at all or if I am just loosing it! lol. Today however I will break out my Crystal cards, light my candle and see what happens. Has anyone else had trouble finding their own personal Deity?
She may not reveal her identity through your dreams. You might just run across her in a book, or in conversation or some other means and figure out who she is. I have a guardian/spirit/deity whose name I don't know and I affectionately refer to as pumpkinhead (he doesn't seem to mind, although he isn't much of a talker). Sometimes patience is a required part of the reveal.
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 29, 2008, 07:09:38 pm »

She may not reveal her identity through your dreams. You might just run across her in a book, or in conversation or some other means and figure out who she is. I have a guardian/spirit/deity whose name I don't know and I affectionately refer to as pumpkinhead (he doesn't seem to mind, although he isn't much of a talker). Sometimes patience is a required part of the reveal.

Thank you for all your patience and guidance. I will keep meditating and keeping my spiritual eyes and ears open.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 30, 2008, 08:55:36 am »

I have a guardian/spirit/deity whose name I don't know and I affectionately refer to as pumpkinhead (he doesn't seem to mind, although he isn't much of a talker).

I call one of my Gods Old Noseyparker, because he is nosey. He doesn't seem to mind either, I guess because it is also an affectionate nickname.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 30, 2008, 11:45:29 am »

I meditated on it last night before bed, and nothing came via dreams.

I have a really hard time working with dreams, and I've never had a deity show up in them.  I wouldn't rule anything out just because of lack of dreams.

Has anyone else had trouble finding their own personal Deity?

Well, not everyone has a personal, close relationship with a particular deity.  Some people honor a deity or deities or pantheon they feel drawn to without a reciprocal response.  Which is definitely valid.

Also, some deities are harder to approach than others because of nature/personality.  Or some want you to "meet Them halfway".

I would recommend researching deities you think it might be, or just Those who interest you, and see if anything resonates.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 30, 2008, 12:31:15 pm »

Besides Garnet's wise words, keep in mind that deities don't work on our time scale - just because we say "Gee, it'd be nice to have some kind of hint tonight!" doesn't mean it's going to happen (any more than, say, one of our friends will randomly drop by.)

You're looking for a long-term relationship. That's going to take time.

Unlike Garnet, I *did* first get a strong sense of presence of M'Lady in a dream, but that's only happened *once* - like Garnet, I have a very hard time with dream work. I wasn't intentionally trying to see her at the time, and had done no preparatory work about seeking a deity - but I woke up from a very vivid and clear dream knowing it was important.

(I wrote it down, and then turned up that afternoon for my Year-and-A-Day class on ... deities. And went, "Oh, duh." But I truly hadn't done any deliberate seeking.)

*However* - figuring out what to do about that, and getting further information about Her was then a multiple year process. And you know, that's okay. I actually had people tell me several times I should just give up, and move on - and refused, because the emotional connection I had was really important to me. On the other hand, I also did take their advice, and spent time building up connections with other deities (mostly, but not entirely, deities my tradition works with.)

She, like a number of deities, also seems to ebb and flow a bit over seasons: I get the strongest stuff most often from her in spring and fall, and less in the dead of winter and in the height of summer. This means that I'll tend to get a wave of new information, and then nothing new and obvious for a while. This is a perfectly natural pattern, but it took a little getting used to - and it took getting rid of my expectations of what it should look like to really be able to learn more with it.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Phoenixandfur
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 30, 2008, 02:46:03 pm »

Besides Garnet's wise words, keep in mind that deities don't work on our time scale - just because we say "Gee, it'd be nice to have some kind of hint tonight!" doesn't mean it's going to happen (any more than, say, one of our friends will randomly drop by.)

You're looking for a long-term relationship. That's going to take time.

Unlike Garnet, I *did* first get a strong sense of presence of M'Lady in a dream, but that's only happened *once* - like Garnet, I have a very hard time with dream work. I wasn't intentionally trying to see her at the time, and had done no preparatory work about seeking a deity - but I woke up from a very vivid and clear dream knowing it was important.

(I wrote it down, and then turned up that afternoon for my Year-and-A-Day class on ... deities. And went, "Oh, duh." But I truly hadn't done any deliberate seeking.)

*However* - figuring out what to do about that, and getting further information about Her was then a multiple year process. And you know, that's okay. I actually had people tell me several times I should just give up, and move on - and refused, because the emotional connection I had was really important to me. On the other hand, I also did take their advice, and spent time building up connections with other deities (mostly, but not entirely, deities my tradition works with.)

She, like a number of deities, also seems to ebb and flow a bit over seasons: I get the strongest stuff most often from her in spring and fall, and less in the dead of winter and in the height of summer. This means that I'll tend to get a wave of new information, and then nothing new and obvious for a while. This is a perfectly natural pattern, but it took a little getting used to - and it took getting rid of my expectations of what it should look like to really be able to learn more with it.

You know you are so right. I need to learn to be more patient and remember that just because I would like something to happen at a certain time does not mean that the gods will deem it the right time. Thank you for reminding me to be patient.
Sojourner
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2015, 02:23:23 pm

Religion: ecclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 30, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »

This is exactly what I needed to see right now.  It truly explains a lot.  That's why I love this place!
mollimizz
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 11:46:45 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 01, 2008, 12:39:12 am »

Has anyone else had trouble finding their own personal Deity?

After I relized I wasn't alone in thinking this way after my intro to the internet it was just the Goddess...
 I'd wanted a name for "my" Goddess instead of just calling Her Goddess...
 I did some searching thru the different pantheons and waited for a "tingle" or something; nothing !
 Then I started hearing and seeing the name Isis.
 The auto repair down the street was called Isis, the salon, I heard reference to Her on CSI, I saw Her name in books. Everytime I heard or saw her name I'd get this body rush like a hotflash, just not hot !
 She has led me to palmistry, which her priests used alot. Since I started the palmistry I've noticed the lines on my hands changing; there are more signs of intuition on my hands that wasn't there before !
 So I guess you could say I had a little trouble in this area...
   Gentle Rainbow Light
      Mollimizz

"Books contain words;
 trees contain energies and wisdom
 books never dreamt of."
 author unknown

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)