The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 10:58:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:58:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Instinct -- is it energy or the subconscious?  (Read 9805 times)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 31, 2008, 05:09:27 pm »

A lot of information for the unconscious comes from memories, whether consciously recalled or not.  A lot more information comes from the senses, whether consciously noticed or not.  I personally think that a lot of "psychic" phenomena can be attributed to these two information sources.

Also, the unconscious is very good at synthesizing information, and coming up with creative ideas out of whole cloth. 

I think here we're touching on intuition.  I suppose there may well be a degree of overlap between the two constructs.  Certainly I understand that research on intuition has been limited, so I think it could be interesting to see what the next few years turn up.

IMO, a lot more "psychic" experiences actually come from these sources.  I put divination into this category; I see divination as reflecting on the way the past has influenced the present, and extrapolating from that how the present is likely to influence the future, with the extrapolation focusing on areas represented by a random selection of symbols. (Please note, this does not mean I think divination is always inaccurate!)

Well, one factor that's been associated with believing horoscopes etc to be accurate is a tendency for people to view information presented in a certain way as being detailed/ specific to them, rather than vague as the 'information' usually is.  In that sense, symbolism associatd with divinatory methods, for example, may trigger interpretations in terms of the more specific individual context.  Which is a fancy way of saying 'symbols may help you interpret what's going on.'

Of course, there are some people out there who maintain that anything that comes from the unconscious must be a psychic power!!!  Generally, when I encounter this attitude, I end up arguing semantics.

Same here - sometimes.  Somedays my more cynical side takes over and I decide I'm not likely to change anyone's opinions. Smiley

Of course, as long as my unconscious is fairly accurate at telling me a certain type of thing, I don't usually care where it got the information from.  (I guess this is why I'm an engineer and not a scientist! Cheesy )  My biggest problem is separating unconscious promptings from really strong desires.  For me, they're both accompanied by this "Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer!" feeling, like a teacher's pet raising her hand in class. (Does that make any sense?)

Sure...I guess they're associated with an expectancy of reward if you follow said instinct. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)