The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 06:17:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:17:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Faith Healing  (Read 3792 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 30, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

So, we're talking in chat about a horrible little show on the SciFi channel tonight on exorcisms, and the talk turned to faith healing.

Which got me thinking...

Has anyone ever been legitimately healed by faith healing? And how different is televangelist faith healing from pagan claims of using energy to heal people? Are pagans who heal somehow more trustworthy to the community?

I don't know what I think about stereotypical faith healing, but if I believe that I can raise energy to heal someone, or that my High Priestess can give me Reiki to help my sore knee, then is that really any different?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 31, 2008, 05:00:56 am »

If it helps, I disbelieve equally in both groups claims of healing. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: October 31, 2008, 10:11:20 am »

Has anyone ever been legitimately healed by faith healing?

I have yet to see any indication that faith healing or Reiki have a direct effect on physical condition.  I do think they probably act similarly with regards to psychology and thus could have an indirect effect on things like pain perception.  That being said, I am loathe to rule out the miraculous.  Sometimes people mysteriously recover from life-threatening conditions and leave doctors baffled.

Sperran
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 31, 2008, 03:15:51 pm »

I have yet to see any indication that faith healing or Reiki have a direct effect on physical condition. 

I do know someone (though I haven't seen such evidence directly myself) who has seen meaningful x-ray evidence of the benefits of Reiki in broken bones (where healing time/etc. is fairly clear cut and can be directly determined by x-ray.)

In the case she mentioned, they did x-rays, at two points a couple of days apart - the first before Reiki work, the second after, with *far* more healing in the second than would be normal for that kind of break. However, she also passed on the warning that this is why it's so important to make sure you've done any physical re-setting first, because if it heals while set wrong, you're in for a lot of trouble.

(This, incidentally, is part of why I'm so set on "Don't send someone healing energy until you know they're ready/want it/able to use it.")

A friend who had a miserably bad knee sprain in late August also was doing some energy healing work (not Reiki) and has recovered far more quickly than her doctors expected. (Along, of course, with physical therapy, other treatment, etc.) to the point she was off crutches about 2-3 weeks earlier than the original estimate (cutting the time-on-crutches by about a third: the original estimate was 6 weeks or so.)

Like you, I'm less sure about the applications for longer-term or soft-tissue work, because it's harder to measure.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 01, 2008, 12:10:28 am »

I have yet to see any indication that faith healing or Reiki have a direct effect on physical condition. 

I have seen some very convincing evidence... but then again, I am also a Reiki Master Grin.

Right after I became a Reiki Master/Teacher, my Master sent all her students to a home of a woman who was in so much pain that she had been bed ridden for over a year. I think she had Fibromylagia. Her doctors said there was nothing left for them to do and she would just basically have to suffer till she died (she could even get up to use the bathroom). She had a nurse that came to see her everyday and family living with her so she could be taken care of.

Anyways, two different groups of Reiki practioners when to see her once a week for two weeks. By the time I saw her the second time, by this time she had had 4 treatments, she was able to sit up to eat and she walked by herself to the bathroom.

Now whether it was the Reiki or something she just began to believe about herself, she started getting stronger. Could it all be in her head, definitely! But who knows, does it really matter as long as the person gets better.

The difference between Reiki and the evangelistic faith healling method is that the evangelist are just putting on a show, I have never heard of an actually healing of any kind. They are just doing it for money. On a side note, the Reiki healing of that woman was completely free.

And, to be honest, I don't remember much from the sessions. I was a new Master, going through the cleansing/transition process and didn't want to be around anyone at the time. I went, did my thing, and left. I never saw the woman after that, so I don't know if the healing worked for long or not.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 04, 2008, 12:42:13 pm »

So, we're talking in chat about a horrible little show on the SciFi channel tonight on exorcisms, and the talk turned to faith healing.

Which got me thinking...

Has anyone ever been legitimately healed by faith healing? And how different is televangelist faith healing from pagan claims of using energy to heal people? Are pagans who heal somehow more trustworthy to the community?

Man, that was an awful show wasn't it?
Anyhoo...
I've always believed that the whole process may make you feel better, but doesn't actually heal you. You know, raises your own energy and spirits so it makes you feel better and heal faster. People in good spirits tend to do better when they're sick. So I've always looked at it that way.
A terribly cynical view for someone who does healing work I guess, but honestly I don't know what else to say. That's what I believe is going on. If the people I help think it's different that's their perogative.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 05, 2008, 08:48:25 am »

I've always believed that the whole process may make you feel better, but doesn't actually heal you. You know, raises your own energy and spirits so it makes you feel better and heal faster. People in good spirits tend to do better when they're sick.
That is true for many people. When I get a cold, I just drink some tea and get on with my life. I am usually fine with my cold and although it does tend to tire my out, I am not sad about it. My husband on the other hand, when he gets sick, he becomes a grumpy old man, which is amusing since he is in his mid 20's.
He has so a negative and depressing view on everything that any illness or cold seems to effect him harder than everyone else around us. 

Attitude is important. Whether or not a healing or Reiki session works or not... if a person really doesn't want to be helped, they won't be.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
fatalperfection
Journeyman
Last Login:September 14, 2010, 03:46:05 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan... with wiccan elements

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 07, 2009, 09:34:44 pm »

Which got me thinking...

I don't know what I think about stereotypical faith healing, but if I believe that I can raise energy to heal someone, or that my High Priestess can give me Reiki to help my sore knee, then is that really any different?

Karen

I am not against the idea of any possibility of healing, as it could be using what we call "magic" to do something that just hasn't been discovered. I believe energy raising and such is just a part of the world that most people have not acknowledged. It is occult because it is "hidden", but it is not unnatural. However, I do not believe in faith healing. A healing should not be on, "have faith that it works, so stop taking medicine, etc.". It should be able to be proved repeatedly that it worked. You should still seek medical attention on it until you are medically fine. Not assume you're fine on "faith". I have such a problem with the televangelists on this one. They have caused numerous deaths over it. If you want to try alternative healing, go ahead. But it should not go against common sense. It should not be treated as supernatural, but just as natural as typical medicine and therefore not above it.

PM me if you like! I would love to meet other pagans in my area (AZ)... I am basically neo-pagan with a tendency towards eclectic wicca, but I am open to anybody!
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: March 08, 2009, 05:49:52 am »

A healing should not be on, "have faith that it works, so stop taking medicine, etc.".

The terrible twist on this is: If you're not being healed, your faith was not strong enough = it is all your fault that you suffer.
I'm very, very against such a 'logic' chain. It frees the 'healer' of all responsibilty and loads all of it on the shoulders of somebody already troubled enough.

I don't believe that healing or forgiveness or mercy have to be earned.
They are granted because they are needed.

I'm not the one doing the healing, I'm allowed to help.
I'm blessed being the mediator between the powers (insert what you wish) and the higher self of the person.
It would never come to my mind to advise somebody to stay away from the doctor or medications - this is to act negligent.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 08, 2009, 09:36:57 am »

Which got me thinking...

Karen

I've had both reiki sessions done and a healing anointing done by my uncle who was deacon. Because I have an auto-immune disease and kidney damage, I'm told I'm constantly being prayed for.

...and though both experiences were very intense and emotional in their own ways, I didn't notice any physical improvement in my health and saw no reason to repeat them. I'm doing much better now, but I'm inclined to believe that it was years of medication, not being pressures to work and slowly overhauling my diet and avoiding stress that did it.

Though I should note that my doctors didn't expect me to respond to the medication at all and my kidney doctor insists that I was one of the worst cases in the 20-something set he'd ever seen, so maybe all the prayer did help.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:39:28 am by Driven by Dreams, Reason: Accidently hit \'post\' when I meant to hit \'preview\' » Logged

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: March 08, 2009, 10:29:48 am »

Though I should note that my doctors didn't expect me to respond to the medication at all and my kidney doctor insists that I was one of the worst cases in the 20-something set he'd ever seen, so maybe all the prayer did help.

And you'll never know, because you can't - and I'm sure wouldn't want to - repeat the exact situation without the prayer-factor.
In the end it's the healing that counts. This is my opinion. Everything that'll help is welcome.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
fatalperfection
Journeyman
Last Login:September 14, 2010, 03:46:05 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan... with wiccan elements

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 08, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

The terrible twist on this is: If you're not being healed, your faith was not strong enough = it is all your fault that you suffer.

Yes, that was the worst of it. If it "worked", well there was "proof" that the healer was god's messenger. If it didn't work, well you just are a bad person who doesn't have enough faith. One of the best manipulation tools I've seen if you ask me... It's really sad. Fortunately, even most monotheists I've run into think this faith thing is a hoax and manipulation. It's really only radicals and those who are so desperate to be "healed" that believe/claim this.

PM me if you like! I would love to meet other pagans in my area (AZ)... I am basically neo-pagan with a tendency towards eclectic wicca, but I am open to anybody!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)