The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 03, 2021, 03:26:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2021, 03:26:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How To Heal A Divided Nation  (Read 6128 times)
Morgaine
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 30, 2009, 01:17:06 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 31, 2008, 12:15:47 am »

I have, of course, made my own decision regarding where our Country should be headed from here.  But I can hardly reconcile with the division of our country.  Conservative against Liberal, neighbor against neighbor, fear and hope - - all being at odds with one another.  The reality sunk in for me as I was speaking with a friend who shared her deepest fear of losing fundamental, religious freedoms and the potential of civil clashes in our local communities.  Feeling powerless to Change the current temperature of our country, and seeing that so many other countries around the world are suffering this same divide, I write:

If Country First our motto be
   Then let it now begin with me
May I meet my fellow man
   On equal ground and solemnly
That we may we seek our greatest prize
   And find it in our children’s eyes
Let understanding here abound
   Treading o’er this sacred ground
Each truth and honor’s value hold
   May each of us be strong and bold
Our mission be our greatest gifts
   And dedicated heartfelt wish
To Change what we cannot abide
   Be strength and goodness on our side
May kindness be our greatest tool - - in
   Gentle whispers ‘cross our moors
   May freedom ring from shore to shore
And with our freedoms may we show
   That we Unite, so all will know
The goodness of our hearts and land
   The solidarity of man
In one voice shout down poverty
   And raising up equality
To take from none their pride or wealth
   But guarantee each man his health
Long live our nation, bright and great
   Send forth our soldiers to create
A footprint both in space and time
   With elements of the Divine
Our seed upon ripe ground must fall
   Our seed of love
                And Love is all

Has anyone else considered what each of us can do to Heal our Nation's divide?
Is there a way to come through this as Americans in a strong and united manner?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mystic_Novice
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Studying various Pagan beliefs

~And if it harm none, do what ye will~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 31, 2008, 12:28:49 am »

I have, of course, made my own decision regarding where our Country should be headed from here.  But I can hardly reconcile with the division of our country.  Conservative against Liberal, neighbor against neighbor, fear and hope - - all being at odds with one another.  The reality sunk in for me as I was speaking with a friend who shared her deepest fear of losing fundamental, religious freedoms and the potential of civil clashes in our local communities.  Feeling powerless to Change the current temperature of our country, and seeing that so many other countries around the world are suffering this same divide, I write:

If Country First our motto be
   Then let it now begin with me
May I meet my fellow man
   On equal ground and solemnly
That we may we seek our greatest prize
   And find it in our children’s eyes
Let understanding here abound
   Treading o’er this sacred ground
Each truth and honor’s value hold
   May each of us be strong and bold
Our mission be our greatest gifts
   And dedicated heartfelt wish
To Change what we cannot abide
   Be strength and goodness on our side
May kindness be our greatest tool - - in
   Gentle whispers ‘cross our moors
   May freedom ring from shore to shore
And with our freedoms may we show
   That we Unite, so all will know
The goodness of our hearts and land
   The solidarity of man
In one voice shout down poverty
   And raising up equality
To take from none their pride or wealth
   But guarantee each man his health
Long live our nation, bright and great
   Send forth our soldiers to create
A footprint both in space and time
   With elements of the Divine
Our seed upon ripe ground must fall
   Our seed of love
                And Love is all

Has anyone else considered what each of us can do to Heal our Nation's divide?
Is there a way to come through this as Americans in a strong and united manner?

Being forced to vote is a great way to bring people together during an election in Australia Cheesy Just kidding...Wink
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 31, 2008, 07:23:42 am »

Overturn Roe v Wade maybe?  You'd be surprised how much the Republican legislaturer's would have to move to the center once they know that the US Supreme Court won't save them politically from the voter's wrath if they actually got some sort of restrictions imposed passed.  Noting that apparently any state that has abortion clinics already had legal abortions before RvW.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 31, 2008, 08:32:10 am »

Overturn Roe v Wade maybe? 

Considering that 60% to 70% of the population do not want abortions banned in any state, overturning Roe v. Wade would be one of the most divisive things that one could do.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 31, 2008, 09:19:12 am »

Given that the US was pretty divided from its roots, I'm not convinced that all the divides can ever be 'healed.'  For that matter, there are divisions of opinions in every country in the world.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 31, 2008, 02:59:40 pm »

Overturn Roe v Wade maybe?  You'd be surprised how much the Republican legislaturer's would have to move to the center once they know that the US Supreme Court won't save them politically from the voter's wrath if they actually got some sort of restrictions imposed passed.  Noting that apparently any state that has abortion clinics already had legal abortions before RvW.

You mean overturn Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Smiley Hardly any of Roe hasn't already been overturned or restated by later cases. It's pretty swiss-cheezed.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 31, 2008, 03:02:05 pm »

Considering that 60% to 70% of the population do not want abortions banned in any state, overturning Roe v. Wade would be one of the most divisive things that one could do.

His point is that GOP legislators couldn't advocate for banning abortion anymore; their constituents would boot them out. It's easy for them to advocate for it when they know the Supreme Court will overturn their restrictions. If it were a legislative issue, facing an electorate that's nearly 3/4 agreed on the idea of "safe, legal, and rare," it would be total political suicide to advocate for banning abortion, and many GOP politicians who pander to the extreme right would have to get real moderate on the issue real fast, and it would take away most of the most public hardline pro-life discussion.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 31, 2008, 03:41:11 pm »

His point is that GOP legislators couldn't advocate for banning abortion anymore; their constituents would boot them out.

If overturning Row vs Wade would leave the abortion decision up to Congress, I would agree.  but it would not, it would leave it up to the states.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Morgaine
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 31, 2008, 04:47:05 pm »

Overturn Roe v Wade maybe? 

I don't particularly see the real benefit of overturning Roe - in terms of healing our country.  Nor do I believe that healing our country isn't needed and I disagree with the premise that our nation has always been divided as well. 

I would like to see something truly healing to our social divides, including the issue of abortion.  I have been with several young women having abortions.  Not one single one of them considered it to be an experience they cared to repeat.  It is invasive, painful, stigmatized and emotionally injurious.   

Do I believe in choice?  Absolutely, fundamentally and wholeheartedly.  This is why I believe that a "healing" of this rift can occur if we actually decided to get together and stand for real choices.  I have spoken to many young men, including my sons, who are not afforded "choice" options through Planned Parenthood.  There are pills, patches, shots, clamps, rings, etc. as birth control for women.  Men are offered the condom.  I would like to see a shot, pill, removable clamp, etc. for men.  I really believe that IF young men were given their choice when and with whom they became fathers - they would be better fathers, there would be a significant decline in the number of teenage pregnancies, there would be less stigmata associated with "deadbeat dads" as many young, teen men without male role models are referred to.

I also believe in investing into education and assistance for single parents and daycare and early childhood education, but I really think that a key element is being ignored by not investing into the R & D to give men the ready options that young women are often afforded.  I think that if men had a better safety net like a shot or removable clamp, etc. they would use it and we would see one of the most drastic declines in abortion ever.

JMHO, however.  Smiley 
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 31, 2008, 05:04:17 pm »

His point is that GOP legislators couldn't advocate for banning abortion anymore; their constituents would boot them out. It's easy for them to advocate for it when they know the Supreme Court will overturn their restrictions. If it were a legislative issue, facing an electorate that's nearly 3/4 agreed on the idea of "safe, legal, and rare," it would be total political suicide to advocate for banning abortion, and many GOP politicians who pander to the extreme right would have to get real moderate on the issue real fast, and it would take away most of the most public hardline pro-life discussion.

Thank you.  You stated the position much clearer than I did, and thanks for the updated case reference. 
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 31, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »

If overturning Row vs Wade would leave the abortion decision up to Congress, I would agree.  but it would not, it would leave it up to the states.

GOP state legislaters would face the same issue.  Get to pro-life at the state level, knowing that the Federal courts won't take the blame for keeping it "safe, legal and rare", they wouldn't be able to push the issue to hard; and the "rare" part might get some attention.

Below the state level, say a city trying to ban it, and you have issues.  A reason, I think, that the religion in school cases are more of an issue.  It is tougher to raise the issue in a small town or city than a state wide, sort of anonymous issue.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: October 31, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »

I don't particularly see the real benefit of overturning Roe - in terms of healing our country.  Nor do I believe that healing our country isn't needed and I disagree with the premise that our nation has always been divided as well. 

But the country has been divided since day one over one issue or another.  Hell, we were divided even before the Revolution with those who wanted independence and who wanted to remain a British colony.  Over our history, we have been divided over type of government, slavery, multiple wars, Prohibition and many more issues that are too numerous to list.

I would like to see something truly healing to our social divides, including the issue of abortion.  I have been with several young women having abortions.  Not one single one of them considered it to be an experience they cared to repeat.  It is invasive, painful, stigmatized and emotionally injurious.   

Right now, we have bigger problems than abortion so it's probably the furthest thing on the average voter's mind.  And frankly, abortions would never go away.  Even if birth conrtol is available and more people have knowledge of it, there will still be some around.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Morgaine
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 31, 2008, 06:09:42 pm »

But the country has been divided since day one over one issue or another.  Hell, we were divided even before the Revolution with those who wanted independence and who wanted to remain a British colony.  Over our history, we have been divided over type of government, slavery, multiple wars, Prohibition and many more issues that are too numerous to list.

Right now, we have bigger problems than abortion so it's probably the furthest thing on the average voter's mind.  And frankly, abortions would never go away.  Even if birth conrtol is available and more people have knowledge of it, there will still be some around.

I concede we have disagreed and strongly in the past.  I would rather not see another Civil War, and there are a number of serious issues that could very well lead to just such a situation.  Currently, the right is blasting the left over the "infanticidal holocaust" that they believe liberals and progressives endorse.  This may not be the way we view it, but a good percentage of people DO view it that way and  they strongly believe vehemently that it must end.  The vitriol is incredibly divisive, angry, violent and abusive everywhere we turn. 

And, again, JMHO - but I don't believe the government is effective at dealing with social issues or bridging divides.  Since it appears as though we are going to have a progressive majority in almost every branch of government and that is placing roughly half the nation at odds with their government and their neighbors.

So, silly me...I pray for ways to bridge these divides, calm some of the anger, show a spirit of cooperation and be soothing to what will be very harsh feelings.   I guess my point really is that if we are going to bridge the Great Divide in our nation, we are going to have to tackle tough issues, like abortion, in our own communities - and we'll be stronger if we can do it together rather than as liberal v. conservative.  The cooperative spirit that our nation once had is sadly absent and I fear will lead to irreparable harm.
Morgaine
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 31, 2008, 06:48:27 pm »

I concede we have disagreed and strongly in the past.  I would rather not see another Civil War, and there are a number of serious issues that could very well lead to just such a situation.  Currently, the right is blasting the left over the "infanticidal holocaust" that they believe liberals and progressives endorse.  This may not be the way we view it, but a good percentage of people DO view it that way and  they strongly believe vehemently that it must end.  The vitriol is incredibly divisive, angry, violent and abusive everywhere we turn. 

And, again, JMHO - but I don't believe the government is effective at dealing with social issues or bridging divides.  Since it appears as though we are going to have a progressive majority in almost every branch of government that is placing roughly half the nation at odds with their government and their neighbors.

So, silly me...I pray for ways to bridge these divides, calm some of the anger, show a spirit of cooperation and be soothing to what will be very harsh feelings.   I guess my point really is that if we are going to bridge the Great Divide in our nation, we are going to have to tackle tough issues, like abortion, in our own communities - and we'll be stronger if we can do it together rather than as liberal v. conservative.  The cooperative spirit that our nation once had is sadly absent and I fear will lead to irreparable harm.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 31, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »

I concede we have disagreed and strongly in the past.  I would rather not see another Civil War, and there are a number of serious issues that could very well lead to just such a situation.  Currently, the right is blasting the left over the "infanticidal holocaust" that they believe liberals and progressives endorse. 

While there may be some tremendous argument on the subject of abortion, I can't see a civil war breaking out over it.  Individual incidents potentially involving injury or death?  Yes, that happens.  But I don't see signs of the US as a whole picking up arms and hacking each other to bits.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)