The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 02:25:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 02:25:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What if we're wrong?  (Read 29496 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #45: November 05, 2008, 08:36:01 am »

Adoption. I'm not sure the ancient Jewish people believed in marrying outside their own people.

While there were some warnings against it, it often happened.  Look at the story of Ruth, for example.  There is also a long standing tradition of allowing people to become Jewish if they were dedicated to conversion.  It wasn't easy, but definitely possible.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: November 05, 2008, 09:05:55 am »

Adoption. I'm not sure the ancient Jewish people believed in marrying outside their own people.

Book of Ruth.

Also, I believe the four women (other than Mary) listed in Jesus's genealogy are all in exogamous marriages -- Tamar is a Canaanite, Rahab is from (non-Israelite) Jericho, Ruth is a Moabite, and Bathsheba is a Hittite or maybe a Gilonite, IIRC.

Incidentally, Tamar and Rahab work as whores, Ruth may be having premarital sex with Boaz to convince him to marry her (depends on how you read the metaphor) and Bathsheba is an adulteress (though not because SHE wants to be).

It's a very interesting choice of women to name as Jesus's forebearers, women of very non-standard backrounds who are generally renowned for their holiness ... even though the way they got there isn't really along the standard lines of a Good Hebrew Woman (tm). And none of them are Hebrew. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:11:58 am by Koimichra » Logged
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 20, 2008, 08:15:22 am

Religion: Greco-Roman recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: November 05, 2008, 07:06:16 pm »

While there were some warnings against it, it often happened.  Look at the story of Ruth, for example.  There is also a long standing tradition of allowing people to become Jewish if they were dedicated to conversion.  It wasn't easy, but definitely possible.

Sperran

Since this is a hypothetical situation, I am hypothesizing that if the Jewish Messiah showed up, he would enforce what Yahweh originally wanted and expected, not what was traditional or what often happened.  As Jesus said in Mark 10:2-12, Yahweh cut them some slack, but he really means what he said.

"Truth is an iron bride."
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #48: November 05, 2008, 07:29:08 pm »

Since this is a hypothetical situation, I am hypothesizing that if the Jewish Messiah showed up, he would enforce what Yahweh originally wanted and expected, not what was traditional or what often happened.  As Jesus said in Mark 10:2-12, Yahweh cut them some slack, but he really means what he said.

From the Jewish perspective, tradition is relevant to what we believe that God wanted.  God gives the law, but it is up to the Jewish people to interpret the law and from those interpretations come our traditions.

Sperran
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: November 05, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »

From the Jewish perspective, tradition is relevant to what we believe that God wanted.  God gives the law, but it is up to the Jewish people to interpret the law and from those interpretations come our traditions.

Sperran

Of course, but HE may not see it that way.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #50: November 05, 2008, 10:43:27 pm »

Of course, but HE may not see it that way.

I wouldn't presume to read God's mind, but it seems the best source for what makes a Jew would be our sacred texts and commentary on those texts.

Sperran
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #51: November 05, 2008, 11:10:44 pm »

I wouldn't presume to read God's mind, but it seems the best source for what makes a Jew would be our sacred texts and commentary on those texts.

Sperran

(points at thread title)  What if you're wrong?

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #52: November 05, 2008, 11:49:26 pm »

(points at thread title)  What if you're wrong?

Absent

It is entirely possible that I am wrong about what God wants.  However, I felt like the OP was making a statement about what actually constitutes Jewishness not a hypothetical "what if God thinks otherwise" statement and I disagreed with that initial statement.  I'm not exactly sure what I would do if the God of Abraham and Isaac exists but decided I couldn't be a Jew...be a righteous gentile, I suppose.

Sperran
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: November 06, 2008, 12:22:27 am »

It is entirely possible that I am wrong about what God wants.  However, I felt like the OP was making a statement about what actually constitutes Jewishness not a hypothetical "what if God thinks otherwise" statement and I disagreed with that initial statement.  I'm not exactly sure what I would do if the God of Abraham and Isaac exists but decided I couldn't be a Jew...be a righteous gentile, I suppose.

Sperran

I wouldn't presume to know what was going on in Yahweh's head either, but if we go by the Hebrew Bible what you have is a deity who thinks nothing of smiting infants and children, pregnant women and old people if they just so happen to not be Jewish.  He also sends plagues and wars against his own Chosen people if their king happens to hold a census or if the king cares enough about his wife's spiritual welfare to build her a temple to her gods or his Chosen people decide that being nice and intermarrying with the local pagans is a good idea.  He also thinks killing an innocent child because his parents committed adultery is a just punishment. 

IMO, he just doesn't sound like a very reasonable deity willing to cut anyone any slack based on anyone's commentary or tradtions, hence my statement that I don't think I'd be welcome in their "in group" if the Jewish Messiah came back.

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #54: November 06, 2008, 01:12:35 am »

what if you're wrong.

It really depends how I'm wrong. Stoicism is essentially rationalist and my brand incorporates a polytheism that I can't pin down to hard or soft. I'd have to think and feel through what was lost, what gained and what changed as a result of how I was wrong. I find it hard to conceive of an aspect of my beliefs that I could be so radically wrong on that to have it alter would cause my worldview to fold up like a cheap deck chair. I've had that happen a couple of times and no doubt it will again, but I couldn't guess what angle it will come from.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: November 06, 2008, 02:58:54 am »

What if you're wrong?

Okay, so if there is no deity at all, (worst case scenario and the direct opposite of what I believe)ÖHonest answer? Iíd be screwed.

So much of who I am and how I go about living my life is tied into my belief that Ďsomethingí exists beyond what I physically see that, quite frankly, if I was definitively proven wrong on that single concept I would have very little reason to not jump off the nearest building. I can and do doubt every other part of my faith, however. My various beliefs, morals, values, and ideals evolve constantly.  But the notion that there is no god of any kind is where I draw the line for myself. I can not fathom being that alone. Itís just not in who I am. Maybe Iím defective in some way. Couldnít say. But I know thatís where my personal limit is.

Pretty much anything else I could probably adapt to, though I can think of plenty of things which might come close to breaking me (I sincerely hope that funddies arenít right, if they are I am soooo going to hell, given that I have repeatedly broken 7 of the big 10Öno I wonít say which ones, but Iím not a felon so make of that what you may  Wink)

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #56: November 06, 2008, 09:12:52 am »

but if we go by the Hebrew Bible what you have is a deity who thinks nothing of smiting infants and children, pregnant women and old people if they just so happen to not be Jewish. <snip, etc.>

Only if you insist on reading the Bible through a particular interpretive lens with no understanding of the genres and conventions of the couple thousand years over which the Hebrew Bible was written. It also sounds like you're reading a small section of it and generalizing to all of it.

You're basically doing the same thing as someone who reads Harry Potter and thinks its a literal description of modern witchcraft -- totally refusing to recognize the genre and purpose of the story, and relating it to certain preconceived notions that please you.
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: November 06, 2008, 10:01:03 am »

I wouldn't presume to know what was going on in Yahweh's head either, but if we go by the Hebrew Bible what you have is a deity who thinks nothing of smiting infants and children, pregnant women and old people if they just so happen to not be Jewish.  He also sends plagues and wars against his own Chosen people if their king happens to hold a census or if the king cares enough about his wife's spiritual welfare to build her a temple to her gods or his Chosen people decide that being nice and intermarrying with the local pagans is a good idea.  He also thinks killing an innocent child because his parents committed adultery is a just punishment. 

Number one, I agree with Koi's response, number two, I'd like to add:

You know, if we're going to play this game, I'm gonna have to point out that a lot of the old pagan gods were a bit smite happy too. That's just the making of a good story. What's different between the Hebrew Bible and the Roman and Greek Myths for example? I mean, come on. If I read the myths literally I'd have to worry about being raped by a swan. If that sounds ignorant and silly, it's probably because I'm generalizing one sentence of a myth out of context. You just can't pick up components of a religious text and extrapolate them out to characterize a people's faith and the nature of their deity.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #58: November 06, 2008, 11:42:25 am »

Only if you insist on reading the Bible through a particular interpretive lens with no understanding of the genres and conventions of the couple thousand years over which the Hebrew Bible was written. It also sounds like you're reading a small section of it and generalizing to all of it.

You're basically doing the same thing as someone who reads Harry Potter and thinks its a literal description of modern witchcraft -- totally refusing to recognize the genre and purpose of the story, and relating it to certain preconceived notions that please you.

I would also add that the Bible is not the only text important to, and considered sacred by Judaism.  Thus, it doesn't make sense to decide the nature of the Jewish God based solely on the Hebrew Bible.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #59: November 06, 2008, 12:00:26 pm »

As Jesus said in Mark 10:2-12, Yahweh cut them some slack, but he really means what he said.

I would venture to suggest that if we're talking about a Jewish perspective here, the New Testament isn't really relevant.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)