The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 02:28:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 02:28:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What if we're wrong?  (Read 29976 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #90: March 22, 2011, 06:55:51 am »

On the other hand, if you're going to argue that an ultimate state can exist in spite of doubt, then please explain your idea.

well, standard Catholic belief is that post-death you get one last chance to experience what God really is, without blinders or life getting in the way, and you get to make your choice to embrace or reject /there/.

At that point, faith is irrelevant because there is simply reality.  Your doubt doesn't get in the way at all.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #91: March 22, 2011, 07:18:17 am »

...Ellen said that faith needs doubt, and I said that the ultimate attainment would be impossible to reach through faith if that were true.
...My implied argument to her was that faith does not need doubt, and that in order to reach the ultimate attainment one must destroy doubt at some point...

Have you considered the idea that faith alone may be necessary, but not sufficient for the attainment that you are talking about? Perhaps it is through the addition of doubt that a degree of focus and understanding is engendered that (together with faith) is sufficient unto the end. Doubt certainly seems to cause people to assess and explore their faith in ways that may not arise in its absence. I'm not sure if that is what Ellen is talking about, but it could be worth mulling over. As always, YMMV.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #92: March 22, 2011, 08:07:20 am »

Yeah, Ellen said that faith needs doubt, and I said that the ultimate attainment would be impossible to reach through faith if that were true.

Why do you think that?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #93: March 22, 2011, 08:13:27 am »

So, next?  What if you're wrong?

Look upon the sunbeam reflecting from the wall.  Is it not an act of beauty?

Listen to the birds singing outside the window.  Is this not an act of beauty?

I choose in this moment to observe these things, and revel in them.  This is my transcendence.  This is my Nirvana.

In this moment, what is right or wrong?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
son of dhamma
Permanently Banned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 12, 2011, 10:06:37 am

Religion: -

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #94: March 22, 2011, 11:10:20 am »

well, standard Catholic belief is that post-death you get one last chance to experience what God really is, without blinders or life getting in the way, and you get to make your choice to embrace or reject /there/.

At that point, faith is irrelevant because there is simply reality.  Your doubt doesn't get in the way at all.

That's interesting theology.  Thank you.   Cheesy  Is there doubt in eternal Catholic heaven?
Why do you think that?

In my view, doubt is the second of several fetters that must be destroyed in the process of attaining the ultimate.  In a sense, this would mean that faith is solidified or virtually ensured after the destruction of doubt.
  However I should have clarified.  In this context the ultimate attainment is in the mind, but in many religions this is not the case.

-
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #95: April 26, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »

It's one of those questions that always gets asked by people trying to convert - what if you're wrong.

This isn't an attempt to convert, just a thought-game.  Take a good long look at your religious beliefs - and ask.

What if you're wrong?  What would change?  What wouldn't change?  Can you accept the doubt, or is doubt the enemy?

Personally, nothing would really change.  I'd probably change the tone of my essays to a more atheistic standpoint - OTOH, mine pretty much come across that way anyway.  I'd still live my life much the same way - I'd be a little bugged by Apollo giving me tasks, but even that I'd do what I used to do - chalk it up to some other part of my psyche and go with it.  (what astonishes me is that He put up with that ...)

So, next?  What if you're wrong?

Being wrong about heathenry wouldn't change much for me. Luckily the beliefs tend to be more about life rather than afterlife, so I wouldn't miss out on much. There's the idea that everything every single one of my ancestors has done has created me- it's one life story and I'm playing my part in it. Everything I do will influence what my descendants do and their life will be a continuation of the story I told. What comes after-meh- not important. Smiley
annieroonie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 11:36:10 pm

Religion: Thinking on it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #96: May 15, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »

What if you're wrong?  What would change?  What wouldn't change?  Can you accept the doubt, or is doubt the enemy?

Douglas Adams' books had me asking myself this question a while back for the first time in a less serious way than I had previously. It was lovely to finally be able to think about the concept with more whimsy than gravity. 

I've come to this so far: I probably am wrong. Or at least not completely correct. I'm okay with it. I'm used to it actually, so nothing much would change. However, if I was right without a doubt, good gravy, I'd be astonished. I'd also be a bit disappointed because being right isn't all that great for me. It's not interesting. There's nothing left to explore when doubt is removed. Like reaching a dead end. I may love doubt. There is so much of possibility in it. Doubt provides no dead ends but bends to go around and explore/learn.

Doubt and possibility. Perhaps they are the same coin.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: May 17, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »

I've come to this so far: I probably am wrong. Or at least not completely correct. I'm okay with it. I'm used to it actually, so nothing much would change.

I'm liking this.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)