The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 12:18:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:18:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Turned Around Witchcraft  (Read 4649 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 01, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

Are there any old traditions or customs that you use now that were once anti-craft and if so how did you change them around?

Hex signs were once used to ward off witches and witch bottles were meant to repel harmful spells. Times have changed. Now hex signs are supposed to be good luck for witches by warding off negative energy and I know of many who use witch bottles for just about everything from protection to love spells.

I was just curious as to how others use or feel about using certain customs in their work that were once used to ward off or protect against witches and witchcraft.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 02, 2008, 06:15:46 am »

I was just curious as to how others use or feel about using certain customs in their work that were once used to ward off or protect against witches and witchcraft.

Well I have a antique witch ball with mirrored glass hanging in my hallway. Their function is to protect the home from witchcraft....

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
alatariel
Apprentice
Last Login:November 02, 2008, 11:39:50 am

Religion: Wicca-Inspired Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 02, 2008, 10:36:18 am »

Are there any old traditions or customs that you use now that were once anti-craft and if so how did you change them around?

Hex signs were once used to ward off witches and witch bottles were meant to repel harmful spells. Times have changed. Now hex signs are supposed to be good luck for witches by warding off negative energy and I know of many who use witch bottles for just about everything from protection to love spells.

I made a hex sign for my kitchen for basic good luck on my endeavers there. (I can't cook, lol)
It's pretty, I like it, and it seems to be working good. 

I don't really feel that there is anything wrong with using customs that used to protect against witchcraft, as long as the symbolism itself doesn't urk you...and if it feels right to do.

"A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defense." -Author Unknown

"We have nothing to fear and a great deal to learn from trees, that vigorous and pacific tribe which without stint produces strengthening essences for us, soothing balms, and in whose gracious company
we spend so many cool, silent and intimate hours." - Marcel Proust
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: November 02, 2008, 03:12:48 pm »

In the cultural context in which most of these anti-witchcraft spells arose, "witchcraft" was defined solely as *malevolent* magic.  It's only fairly recently -- like, 19th c. or so, when danger from the authorities had passed -- that the word "witchcraft" has taken on any positive connotations.  Positive/benevolent magic prior to that was rarely called "witchcraft," except by the authorities in areas in which ANY magical practice was forbidden; "good" magic was often not named, by practitioners, as "magic," and certainly not as "witchcraft," because that could be dangerous. 
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: November 02, 2008, 04:42:43 pm »

In the cultural context in which most of these anti-witchcraft spells arose, "witchcraft" was defined solely as *malevolent* magic.  It's only fairly recently -- like, 19th c. or so, when danger from the authorities had passed -- that the word "witchcraft" has taken on any positive connotations.  Positive/benevolent magic prior to that was rarely called "witchcraft," except by the authorities in areas in which ANY magical practice was forbidden; "good" magic was often not named, by practitioners, as "magic," and certainly not as "witchcraft," because that could be dangerous. 

I think that's the point here.
Those charms and spells where not against the nowaday witch.
So I don't see a conflict in using goodluck signs or protective spells against negative energies that are/were labeled 'against witches'.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 02, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »

Related: in drop spinning, there's a tradition that only witches do the initial twist counter-clockwise. I've taken to doing this (as does the woman who taught me, who's also a witch) because it amuses me a great deal. (And pretty much any yarn I'm spinning is likely to be used for some kind of magical purpose, because if I'm putting that much time and energy into the thing, I might as well charge it with something.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 03, 2008, 07:38:47 am »

My thinking was along those lines.  For the most part witches at one time were thought to be women who made a pack with the Devil, hence gaining evil magical powers from him. Since I am not that kind of a witch, I don't think it would work counter to what I am doing.

I wonder really, how many of these methods of witch protection may actually have been pre-Christian to begin with and were originally intended to ward off other types of evil than the Christian version of what a witch was?  It always seemed to me they were practicing witchcraft themselves with theses folk methods of protection.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 03, 2008, 11:53:36 am »

Well I have a antique witch ball with mirrored glass hanging in my hallway. Their function is to protect the home from witchcraft....

I have one too, hanging above my door. Got it from my mother, so I'mnot sure what she was trying to say  Roll Eyes

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 03, 2008, 12:03:15 pm »

I have one too, hanging above my door. Got it from my mother, so I'mnot sure what she was trying to say  Roll Eyes

I have three, one I bought, on the oldest DD bought and one the kids together bought me.  THen there's a bell music box my mother bought, and they are all hanging from hooks in the ceiling.  <<<must resist impulse to fill in the entire space across the room.>>>>

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 03, 2008, 04:51:39 pm »

I have three, one I bought, on the oldest DD bought and one the kids together bought me.  THen there's a bell music box my mother bought, and they are all hanging from hooks in the ceiling.  <<<must resist impulse to fill in the entire space across the room.>>>>

Bell music box? What's that?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 03, 2008, 05:23:10 pm »

Bell music box? What's that?

It is a enameled bell shaped music box made in Russia (as all my more recent Christmas gifts from my mother have been, her jeweler has connections (Koi if you want his name, let me know) that hangs by a ribbon and plays a (to us) unknown tune that we've all heard before.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 20, 2008, 08:15:22 am

Religion: Greco-Roman recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 03, 2008, 11:52:02 pm »

I'm a traditionalist.  I study and practice the Craft as well, a craft, but I believe the folkloric symbols and talismans and warding items still carry some power.

"Truth is an iron bride."
leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 04, 2008, 08:54:02 am »

It is a enameled bell shaped music box made in Russia (as all my more recent Christmas gifts from my mother have been, her jeweler has connections (Koi if you want his name, let me know) that hangs by a ribbon and plays a (to us) unknown tune that we've all heard before.

Oh that sounds beautiful.

Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 05, 2008, 12:03:48 am »

One of my all time favorites was to pour salt over the doorsill and windowsill to protect from witches and other evil entities... I was also told that one reason why it worked was because the witch must count each individual grain of salt before entering the house, the wind would blow and the witch must count all over again. Another reason is that the witch couldn't stand the purity of salt, since a witch was said to be impure and evil (malefic), that they would turn away from openings that was purified with salt.

Now, as a witch, I use it for the same reasons of protection, but use it against those I do not desire to be in good or bad company with. Another alternative for this (in hoodoo lore) is brick dust.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)