The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 10:26:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 10:26:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Book of Shadows.  (Read 12987 times)
Zanshin
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2007, 02:21:06 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 16, 2007, 06:38:56 pm »

Amazing. You don't read rules well, do you.

That seems a little rough. I've only been here 5 days, and it's the first site I've known where there was an actual rule about quoting a post to which one is replying. If I missed an unusual rule, then I apologise, but I don't think it calls for any insults or warnings. Simply directing me to the rule in question would have been entirely sufficient.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:40:37 pm by Zanshin » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 16, 2007, 06:42:38 pm »

That seems a little rough. I've only been here 5 days, and it's the first site I've known where there was an actual rule about quoting a post to which one is replying. If I missed an unusual rule, then I apologise, but I don't think it calls for any abuse. Simply directing me to the rule in question would have been entirely sufficient.

Zanshin,

Sorry you feel that way, but you were sent a copy of the rules when you signed up to post on this forum. You're not being abused. You're being told to read the rules and to follow them. You're being told to quote posts that you're replying to because threads can be difficult to follow without those quotes.

Randall told you to read the rules. Heartshadow told you to read the rules. I'm telling you to read the rules.

Since you've apparently not bothered to read them before, I'd suggest again that you do so.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Zanshin
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2007, 02:21:06 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 16, 2007, 06:46:04 pm »

You're not being abused. You're being told to read the rules and to follow them.
Since you've apparently not bothered to read them before, I'd suggest again that you do so.

I'm also being told I don't read rules very well, and issued with a warning. In my book, newbies get a bit of slack for missing a rule in the first few days. I did read them, and obviously missed one. Fine, no big deal, is it, really?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 16, 2007, 06:50:21 pm »

I'm also being told I don't read rules very well, and issued with a warning. In my book, newbies get a bit of slack for missing a rule in the first few days. I did read them, and obviously missed one. Fine, no big deal, is it, really?

HOST HAT ONYou problem isn't that you just missed a rule. The problem is that you are publicly arguing mod calls.  You are gagged for a week. This will give you a chance to carefully read our rules and learn who the Hosts are.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 17, 2007, 12:23:04 pm »

Where did the 'conversation' originally come from? Any idea? Greenfield presents it as a load of nonsense as well, but he doesn't give the source, or I didn't notice it if he did.

I assumed he just wrote the 'conversation' for laughs. I mean, the inspiration is obviously the "how much of Crowley did Gardner nick?" debate you've been discussing but I doubt Greenfield actually came across a transcript of those two actually having tea together. The conversation - I think anyway - was simply used as a humourous introduction to the article. I like it because it manages to poke fun at both of the old geezers, and also at anyone who would take the whole issue with deadly seriousness.

(And yes, I'm aware you're gagged but you can still read posts, so I'm replying anyway.)

- N
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 17, 2007, 01:53:59 pm »

I assumed he just wrote the 'conversation' for laughs. I mean, the inspiration is obviously the "how much of Crowley did Gardner nick?" debate you've been discussing but I doubt Greenfield actually came across a transcript of those two actually having tea together. The conversation - I think anyway - was simply used as a humourous introduction to the article. I like it because it manages to poke fun at both of the old geezers, and also at anyone who would take the whole issue with deadly seriousness.

(And yes, I'm aware you're gagged but you can still read posts, so I'm replying anyway.)

- N

Violentsound, can you please use the actual quote button, and not just the quote code?

We want the link to the post you're replying to a lot more than the text of the reply.  thanks. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 18, 2007, 11:22:22 am »

Violentsound, can you please use the actual quote button, and not just the quote code?

We want the link to the post you're replying to a lot more than the text of the reply.  thanks. Smiley

Ooops, sorry!

- N
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: May 18, 2007, 05:38:05 pm »

There is really little evidence to support the belief and quite a bit of evidence against it. An example of the latter, Gardner's "Book of Shadows" was an ever changing work -- it grew and changed over 10-15 years and incorporated material from others in his group.

I got in this thread a "bit" late, but here goes anyway...

Having Crowley's material and ideas as source material was not difficult at the time and AFAIK, Gardner's material includes stuff that Crowley would not been that interested in (for example folk magic, mythology of the British Isles, Margaret Murray's theories, Leland's Aradia etc) to begin with as they weren't integral or essential to Thelema. Crowley's interest was in furthering one religion: his own. Helping to create a "competitor" wouldn't be serving that higher purpose of his, now would it?

Furthermore, while it can be a rather funny thought that Crowley - the "hugely evil man I'd NEVER read anything of!" which is what some mostly Neo-Wiccans have told me many times over - was the true origins of their religious ideas, it isn't really in character for Crowley to write the basics of somebody else's religion.

Besides, if Crowley had written the original Gardnerian BOS, would he really have been quiet about it? He was keen on toting his horn and "I wrote the holy books of a religion for fun" would have quite likely indeed been something he would have bragged about. In my opinion, that's another not-in-character flaw in the "Crowley wrote it" theory.

He would also have left documentation of the process in his diaries, had he written the BOS. To put it shortly: I very strongly suspect that had he written it instead of just been an influence, we wouldn't be speculating on the matter, we'd know.

(Oh, and "Crowleyan" tends to be taken as a bit pejorative term, "Thelemite" works. Smiley )
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:05:42 am by Fausta, Reason: Removed two floating words of the last paragraph in quite the wrong place. » Logged

Fausta Acilia Mus
Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 18, 2007, 05:55:42 pm »

(Oh, and

Furthermore, while it can be a rather funny thought that Crowley - the "hugely evil man I'd NEVER read anything of!" which is what some mostly Neo-Wiccans have told me many times over - was the true origins of their religious ideas, it isn't really in character for Crowley to write the basics of somebody else's religion.

Besides, if Crowley had written the original Gardnerian BOS, would he really have been quiet about it? He was keen on toting his horn and "I wrote the holy books of a religion for fun"

hahaha I've not read the rest of the thread, but this post made me laugh, he did write a holy book for a giggle didn't he? Isn't that what the book of the law is all about Tongue

Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: May 19, 2007, 10:43:20 am »

hahaha I've not read the rest of the thread, but this post made me laugh, he did write a holy book for a giggle didn't he? Isn't that what the book of the law is all about Tongue

While Liber Al vel Legis is indeed one of the holy books of Thelema, it being "all about" having been written "for a giggle" is a claim you need to produce evidence for.

Fausta Acilia Mus

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)