The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 12:45:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:45:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Gods and where you live  (Read 11830 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 03, 2008, 08:04:38 pm »

I know that there has been a thread at some point discussing whether or not deities are tied to place, but I want to ask a more direct question:

If you moved across the country, to a different country, or even to a completely different continent, do you think you would still strongly feel the presence of your God(s)/Goddess(es)?

Why/ why not?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 03, 2008, 08:07:47 pm »

If you moved across the country, to a different country, or even to a completely different continent, do you think you would still strongly feel the presence of your God(s)/Goddess(es)?

Why/ why not?

Yes

After all, I never even set foot on the continent my gods were originally worshiped.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 03, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »

After all, I never even set foot on the continent my gods were originally worshiped.

This might be a weird question (and I apologise for the poor wording) but do you view your Gods as Gods of the world, or Gods of Greece? And by that I mean, when you interact with your Gods do you find them to be closely tied to the language and culture of Ancient Greece? Or not so much?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: November 03, 2008, 08:48:38 pm »

This might be a weird question (and I apologise for the poor wording) but do you view your Gods as Gods of the world, or Gods of Greece? And by that I mean, when you interact with your Gods do you find them to be closely tied to the language and culture of Ancient Greece? Or not so much?

It's not a weird question at all.

I don't normally think of gods as being tied to one location (except for those who were said to be gods of specific rivers, streams, etc.).  The ancient Greeks themselves thought that their gods may be worshiped by other peoples under different names.

It could also be said that since Western civilization and culture has been heavily influenced by the Greeks and Romans that they may have expanded their influence to those outside Greece.

They were defiantly a big part of ancient Greek culture just as Christianity is a big part of Western culture, but I don't think they are completely married to the language and culture of ancient Greece.  I address my gods in English and that is the language I hear their voices in.  If they wanted it otherwise, they would have to insert a Greek language in my head or make it so it is easier to learn foreign languages (which I suck at).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 03, 2008, 09:00:57 pm »

I don't normally think of gods as being tied to one location (except for those who were said to be gods of specific rivers, streams, etc.).  The ancient Greeks themselves thought that their gods may be worshiped by other peoples under different names.

It could also be said that since Western civilization and culture has been heavily influenced by the Greeks and Romans that they may have expanded their influence to those outside Greece.

For some reason this is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently, so thankyou for your answer. That's interesting that the ancient Greeks themselves thought that their Gods could be worshipped by others.

I address my gods in English and that is the language I hear their voices in.  If they wanted it otherwise, they would have to insert a Greek language in my head or make it so it is easier to learn foreign languages (which I suck at).

Cheesy  Me too.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: November 03, 2008, 09:44:12 pm »

Why/ why not?

I don't think I would, or at least not in the same way or the same relationship.

It's not that they are tied to place, exactly, but if you go even a thousand kilometres they are viewed differently.  Their myths differ, from slightly to a whole lot, and their roles in the universe differ.

It might actually be easier to feel them if i moved to another continent, simply because there is no build-up of history and culture regarding them, so if I reached I would be reaching to the ones I know.

The differences just on this continent may be the reason I find it so hard to actually stay for very long outside of my home area.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 03, 2008, 09:48:33 pm »

Why/ why not?

My primary personal work is with deities I'm pretty sure are English deities. (I'm pretty sure M'Lady is one of the numerous less than ideally documented water deities of the area.) Obviously, I'm so not in England (however, my father was born and raised there, and was a British citizen until he died: both my parents are first generation immigrants to the US.)

However, I did notice something fascinating on a trip on the Danube with my mother two years ago (where her side of the family is from - Vienna and Hungary.) As soon as I got to Vienna, the general sense of M'Lady and Himself faded dramatically, and remained very very quiet and distant until I got back in the US. I got the strong sense that it was Not Their Territory To Wander Into - where the US (and especially Minnesota, which has, admittedly, a whole lot of water in it - land of 11,374 lakes, or whatever we're at right now), there was a more general comfort level.

I found it utterly fascinating, if a little weird at the time.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 03, 2008, 10:03:46 pm »

It's not that they are tied to place, exactly, but if you go even a thousand kilometres they are viewed differently.  Their myths differ, from slightly to a whole lot, and their roles in the universe differ.

It might actually be easier to feel them if i moved to another continent, simply because there is no build-up of history and culture regarding them, so if I reached I would be reaching to the ones I know.

If you don't mind, let me try and understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that if you moved across country you may be influenced by the surrounding area's view (ie; build-up of history and culture) of your Gods and thus not feel as close to them?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 03, 2008, 10:05:18 pm »

However, I did notice something fascinating on a trip on the Danube with my mother two years ago (where her side of the family is from - Vienna and Hungary.) As soon as I got to Vienna, the general sense of M'Lady and Himself faded dramatically, and remained very very quiet and distant until I got back in the US. I got the strong sense that it was Not Their Territory To Wander Into - where the US (and especially Minnesota, which has, admittedly, a whole lot of water in it - land of 11,374 lakes, or whatever we're at right now), there was a more general comfort level.

Really? That's interesting.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 03, 2008, 10:15:35 pm »

Really? That's interesting.

Yep.

We were actually staying on a river boat, so I was more than usually immersed in another body of water. (I highly recommend this mode of travel, actually. Unpack once, and your sleeping space moves with you!) And the Danube's got some fascinating lore and history attached to it. Very different personality than the Mississippi, or the Charles, or the other bodies of water I've been around.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 03, 2008, 10:22:33 pm »

Yep.

We were actually staying on a river boat, so I was more than usually immersed in another body of water. (I highly recommend this mode of travel, actually. Unpack once, and your sleeping space moves with you!) And the Danube's got some fascinating lore and history attached to it. Very different personality than the Mississippi, or the Charles, or the other bodies of water I've been around.

I have never been to Vienna or Hungary, but I would love to go; especially to the former. Funnily enough I have been by the River Danube, as we passed through Ulm when we did some travelling in Germany and it sits right on the river. It is such a beautiful town.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 04, 2008, 02:54:37 am »

I found it utterly fascinating, if a little weird at the time.
Interesting story. Maybe their presence depends on how much they are worshipped at the place? I find there are some flats of Pagans when you walk into them you feel the presence of the Gods in an instant.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: November 04, 2008, 05:26:34 am »

If you don't mind, let me try and understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that if you moved across country you may be influenced by the surrounding area's view (ie; build-up of history and culture) of your Gods and thus not feel as close to them?

Not just the surrounding area's view of them, but the way they themselves have presented themselves in that area, the roles they have taken on in the different areas.  It doesn't make them different entities in different places, exactly, but different aspects have prominence for whatever historical reasons there may have been.

It's a way of not denying the experiences of other groups who have encountered the same beings.  The circumstances of the encounters have been such that different traits have been most evident, without being different enough to indicate different beings with similar names.

If you encountered your father in the work place, especially in a position of authority, it would be a different person than you met over breakfast each morning.  Calling him 'daddy' would be acceptable or not depending on his position, your position, and the general culture of the work place.  It wouldn't be 'wrong' or 'inacurate' in real terms, but the relationship would still be altered because of the surroundings.

There are places where my deity is an out and out villain, despised and feared.  If I were to go there he would be the same 'basic' being that I know, but I would grant him even less trust than I do now, because of the way he has behaved historically in that area.  There is a lot of inertia behind his presence in that area, and none behind mine, so I would probably not even reach out until I was back on my 'turf', with the personage he has been here.

It seems like a rather inconsistent thing, to talk to my gods in the mall but not in the schoolyard sort-of-thing, but they are not monolithic, unchanging beings.  They have their reasons, cultural and historical, for the different ways they present themselves and respecting the inconsistencies is part of respecting them.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: November 04, 2008, 07:06:35 am »

Really interesting question and interesting answers so far.
I've listened to my gut feeling while I read this and thought about what would happen if I'd leave here.

Similar to Jenett there is a Lady and a Lord in my life which I can't name. He might be a cernunnos-type deity, she seems to be more an earth-goddess type. I believe they belong somehow to this area, maybe they are the local expression of 'bigger' deities. I do know - somehow - that they are old. So they've might taken on a celtic-gaulic flavor but they've been around before the celts in this area.

Would I still feel their presence when I'd leave here?
I think yes, since they took me under their wings and I view them somehow as parents.

I don't know, if they are known under other names and were worshipped by others. So I don't know if an influence like Absent talked about, could happen. Maybe I'd be surprised to hear how somebody else called them.

What surely would change is the contact to the Fae. I really doubt that in Arizona f.ex. could exist the same family and type of Fae than here.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #14: November 04, 2008, 07:14:38 am »

Forgot something.
Concerning the well known deities, like the greek gods f.ex.
Maybe it is much easier for them to hold up connections throughout the world, because their names were never forgotten?
Zeus is much more present in the minds of man than my Lord who is only present in the shadows of the forest and my mind.

I bet I could walk into almost any libary all over the world and will find a book about greek myths.
So this might works a bit like this: there is already awareness of Zeus, so it's easy for him to get attention.
It took my Lady years of patience till I got it into my thick head that she was not Hecate.

I hope I made sense.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)