The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 07:36:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 07:36:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another School Shooting- 30 Confirmed Dead  (Read 17017 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 16, 2007, 04:16:16 pm »

From MSNBC:

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dormitory and a classroom at a college in Virginia on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed, and at least 22 other people were injured.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 16, 2007, 04:18:11 pm »

From MSNBC:

**sigh** I've been keeping an eye on MSNBC and have watched the body count go higher and higher.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 16, 2007, 05:49:25 pm »

This is just awful.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 16, 2007, 07:30:54 pm »

My ex and his wife are alumni, and her brother is a cop working the scene at the moment.  They are really shaken up, even though they're across the country at the moment.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 16, 2007, 09:09:58 pm »

Friend lives about a mile from campus. He and family are alright, but on higher alert. This is the second one this year I think at VT?
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 16, 2007, 10:06:28 pm »

Friend lives about a mile from campus. He and family are alright, but on higher alert. This is the second one this year I think at VT?

Peter,

I think this may be the only shooting incident, but I know I read that the school has had a couple of unsolved bomb threats...that last one on Friday.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 17, 2007, 09:15:52 am »

This is creepy because for a while I was thinking about going to VT.  I'm so glad I decided to go into the culinary arts instead of becoming a vetrenarian.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 17, 2007, 11:02:56 am »

The gunman has been identified. He was a student at the university in his senior year.

From VOA News:

Police identified the gunman as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old in his final year of college.

According to the article one of the guns was used in both shooting so VA state police are pretty sure he was responsible for both. No motive yet.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 17, 2007, 06:39:07 pm »

The gunman has been identified. He was a student at the university in his senior year.

There's more information in this article- mentions that he was a step away from being a naturalized citizen, so he would have been able to legally buy firearms. Apparently his creative writing brought up some concerns.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 17, 2007, 10:28:06 pm »

I can't believe this.  My heart goes out to all the families and friends of the victims.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 18, 2007, 07:40:13 am »

Chosunilbo is running this piece:

U.S. Korean Community Shocked at Virginia Shooting

Korean communities in the U.S. were horrified when it emerged that the gunman who killed 33 others at Virginia Tech was Korean student Cho Seung-hui. Recalling the nightmare of the 1992 Los Angeles riots, Koreans in the U.S. worried about retaliation from other ethnic groups. Some are considering leaving the U.S. There were also fears that the incident could negatively affect U.S. deliberations on including Korea in its visa waiver program.

This seems a little ... paranoid?  Has anyone actually observed a retaliatory attitude toward Koreans based on this incident?  I've only seen this mentioned in this paper, but my coworkers seem unduly concerned about this, considering that Cho hasn't lived in Korea for fifteen years.  The western media seems more concerned with how his visa status affected his ability to buy guns, not about his country of citizenship.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 18, 2007, 08:58:25 am »

This seems a little ... paranoid?  Has anyone actually observed a retaliatory attitude toward Koreans based on this incident?

I haven't. While I'm sure some of the anti-immigration folks are saying something negative about immigrants in general, it isn't making the news because all the pro-gun people are making the headlines by saying students and teachers should be armed so they can defend themselves. Then there are the real nutcases making headlines by complaining that all the students were cowards for not the jumping the guy and disarming him. So while I'm sure the anti-immigrant folks out out there, they are having a hard time getting attention.

As for people in general being angry at random Koreans, I haven't heard of anything like that.

Randall
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 18, 2007, 09:04:19 am »

I haven't. While I'm sure some of the anti-immigration folks are saying something negative about immigrants in general, it isn't making the news because all the pro-gun people are making the headlines by saying students and teachers should be armed so they can defend themselves. Then there are the real nutcases making headlines by complaining that all the students were cowards for not the jumping the guy and disarming him. So while I'm sure the anti-immigrant folks out out there, they are having a hard time getting attention.

As for people in general being angry at random Koreans, I haven't heard of anything like that.

I've been absolutely disgusted with the calls for concealed weapons to be carried on campuses and the loons bitching that no one body tackled the killer.

**boggles**

disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 18, 2007, 10:33:55 am »

Nor have I.  In fact, the ONLY place I seem to keep hearing it is speculation from the media.  Like they're looking for a story that just isn't there, but they're making it up anyway.

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
Gwynyvyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 26, 2009, 03:11:01 am

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 18, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

I've been absolutely disgusted with the calls for concealed weapons to be carried on campuses and the loons bitching that no one body tackled the killer.

**boggles**
Concealed carry is legal in Virginia. HOWEVER, the Virginia Tech campus forbids it, even to a legally licensed individual. Most Va college/university campuses forbid, although there are a few exceptions.
Most people in Va who get a concealed carry license have had firearms training.
I had a concealed carry license for several years myself when I lived in Va.
If someone who was comfortable and experienced with firearms had been there carrying...well, I guess I am on the side of the *loons*.
It's a hell of a lot harder to be a helpless victim when you can fire back.
I am sure there are many students there that have/had CCW  and the skill to fire back, when you consider the number of students there in ROTC, the number of students that are military vets, etc.

I am concerned that the gun-control nuts are going to jump on this as an excuse to put even more restrictions on private ownership of firearms. I am a member of the NRA and was raised in a household where guns were readily accessible. That being said, I was also raised to respect the power of firearms and the great responsibility it is to own or handle one.
The shooter at VT was a resident alien and met all the requirements necessary to purchase and own a firearm in Va. Now I hear calls for more stringent laws to prevent this from happening again.
Maybe they should address all the teachers that had concerns about the young man in the past...including one teacher that was so frightened of him she said she had him kicked out of her class and told admin at the university that if he wasn't removed, she would quit.
No one called his parents with their concerns? No one asked the university psychologist (they have  one) to interview him?
I understand a report on his behaviors was made (previously) to the VT university police, but it was simply *filed*.
And the police there...university and local police both and the university admin, as well, not warning students after the first shooting> WTF? They KNEW they had a gunman somewhere, but did not warn the students? And please, there is all that ridiculous crap of "Putting the university in *lockdown*." ANYONE who has been to Blacksburg will tell you that is a virtual impossibility. Va Tech, like UVA and MCV is an *open* campus...no high walls, fences etc...Va Tech is part and parcel of Blacksburg and Blacksburg is part and parcel of Va Tech.
It also bothers me that there were no locks on the classroom doors.
So many little things...that all added up to a horrific result.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)