The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 07:39:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 07:39:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another School Shooting- 30 Confirmed Dead  (Read 17018 times)
Gwynyvyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 26, 2009, 03:11:01 am
United States United States

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 18, 2007, 12:05:02 pm »

And an example of what happens when students DO have available firearms at a university...
 In 2003, almost the exact same thing happened there in Virginia at a different college, the Appalachian Law School. Peter Odighizuwa, a disgruntled student with a 380 pistol, killed two professors, then opened fire on students, shooting three of them.

But there was one key difference between the Va Tech episode and the Appalachian Law School episode which was almost completely ignored by the media: Whereas Virginia Tech specifically forbade students from having a firearm on campus, at Appalachian Law School, two students STOPPED THE ATTACK with personally owned firearms.

When they heard the gunfire, Tracy Bridges and Mikael Gross, two of Odighizuwa's fellow students, independently went to their vehicles, retrieved their personally owned firearms and stopped what could have become a massacre.

One of the most disgraceful facts of the whole affair is that out of the HUNDREDS of news stories about the attack, the number of stories that mentioned the defensive use of firearms that ended the attack could be counted on the fingers of one hand: Just three out of more than 200 stories in the media mentioned the defensive use of firearms.

For more, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_School_of_Law_shooting

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/postsbyday/topic-appalachianlawschool.html

For those who wring their hands and say "two wrongs don't make a right," please note: The good guys didn't shoot the bad guy. But because they were armed, they were able to stop him. End of story.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 18, 2007, 12:08:44 pm »

Gwyn,

I am simply not seeing the concealed carry law as a hot button issue. For the most part, I don't find Second Amendment issues that much of a topic.

However, you will not ever get me to agree that the idea of carrying a concealed weapon on a campus is a good thing. And yes, I think the people who are advocating everyone carrying a weapon are loons. Period.

[/quote]

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 18, 2007, 01:54:06 pm »

Gwyn,

I am simply not seeing the concealed carry law as a hot button issue. For the most part, I don't find Second Amendment issues that much of a topic.

However, you will not ever get me to agree that the idea of carrying a concealed weapon on a campus is a good thing. And yes, I think the people who are advocating everyone carrying a weapon are loons. Period.

Were everyone to have a gun, were no one to have a gun; there is always one person determined enough to find a way to take out as many people as they can.  If everyone had guns, the new choice would be bombs, or chemicals. 

If someone is determined to kill, they will think of ways around whatever obstacles they need to.

Seems like we're coming up against more and more people determined to kill.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 18, 2007, 01:56:24 pm »

Were everyone to have a gun, were no one to have a gun; there is always one person determined enough to find a way to take out as many people as they can.  If everyone had guns, the new choice would be bombs, or chemicals. 

If someone is determined to kill, they will think of ways around whatever obstacles they need to.

Or simply more people willing to kill those that we recognize as "safe".

Were the same thing to have happened as a gang shooting in an inner city, people wouldn't bat an eye.  Students in a classroom is something different.

What happened is awful no matter what, but how we view it also changes how horrifying it is.  If we view it as something completely out of context, it looks much worse than when you think of all the people that go on murderous rampages .. and get ignored, because they're "expected" to do so.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 18, 2007, 01:56:48 pm »

It also bothers me that there were no locks on the classroom doors.

And then at the same time, in other cases we would be horrified to hear there were locks on classroom doors.

Then again, up against a gun, those little push button locks don't seem to mean much.

-LIz Pahir
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 18, 2007, 01:57:16 pm »

Mandi,

I think that's a very good point to keep in mind.

Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 18, 2007, 02:07:31 pm »

Or simply more people willing to kill those that we recognize as "safe".

Were the same thing to have happened as a gang shooting in an inner city, people wouldn't bat an eye.  Students in a classroom is something different.

What happened is awful no matter what, but how we view it also changes how horrifying it is.  If we view it as something completely out of context, it looks much worse than when you think of all the people that go on murderous rampages .. and get ignored, because they're "expected" to do so.

32 people is a lot, no matter where.  I think maybe we could have justified it away more easily though someplace else.  Oh it was poverty, oh it was about drugs, turf, music - things we can link to easily observable conditions.

When it's someone who's source of hopelessness can't be so easily pinpointed, then it becomes something bigger. 

-LIz Pahir
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 18, 2007, 05:28:06 pm »

Concealed carry is legal in Virginia. HOWEVER, the Virginia Tech campus forbids it, even to a legally licensed individual. Most Va college/university campuses forbid, although there are a few exceptions.
Most people in Va who get a concealed carry license have had firearms training.
(snip)

I've been talking on another list with a lawyer from Blacksburg and some other people. Good chance that the VT campus rule forbidding guns on campus in violation of state law is going to cost the school big time. Idea is that if there was anybody near the shooting, or a victim of the shooting that had a permit then VT is directly liable for preventing the attack from being stopped. Talk is millions of dollars.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: April 18, 2007, 06:01:03 pm »

I am concerned that the gun-control nuts are going to jump on this as an excuse to put even more restrictions on private ownership of firearms.

I doubt this as getting meaningful gun control legislation through Congress is almost impossible. Calls for it yes. Actually happening, no.

It also bothers me that there were no locks on the classroom doors.

Unless the doors were steel, I doubt locks would have mattered. I can open the average locked wooden door with one shot -- and that's without practice.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: April 18, 2007, 06:06:29 pm »

I doubt this as getting meaningful gun control legislation through Congress is almost impossible. Calls for it yes. Actually happening, no.

What I'm seeing on this is that the odds of any sort of legislation really even being brought up is pretty high. Lots of condemnation, but little actual legislation being considered.

Gwynyvyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 26, 2009, 03:11:01 am

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 18, 2007, 07:15:41 pm »

I've been talking on another list with a lawyer from Blacksburg and some other people. Good chance that the VT campus rule forbidding guns on campus in violation of state law is going to cost the school big time. Idea is that if there was anybody near the shooting, or a victim of the shooting that had a permit then VT is directly liable for preventing the attack from being stopped. Talk is millions of dollars.

I have been hearing the rumblings of this on some of my other forums as well.
And according to one online friend that lives in Blacksburg, there was at least one police officer (off-duty) who was there, but accordingly NOT carrying a firearm as he is a student there and there was no exception made for him. And the VT university police are armed with tasers and pepper spray, but I don't think they have firearms (not completely sure on that).

My boyfriend is in S Korea...he says this story is way huge there and S Koreans keep coming up to him and expressing great sorrow and making apologies for the young mans actions. He tells them that they are not responsible for Cho...he had lived most of his life in the US, so they shouldn't consider him a representative of the Korean people.
He called me about 10 minutes ago (it's Thursday morning there) and said the story is spreading there that Cho's parents committed suicide? I told him there is nothing here about that...He said the news there frequently broadcasts the slightest rumor as absolute true news...
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 18, 2007, 08:11:43 pm »

32 people is a lot, no matter where.  I think maybe we could have justified it away more easily though someplace else.  Oh it was poverty, oh it was about drugs, turf, music - things we can link to easily observable conditions.

When it's someone who's source of hopelessness can't be so easily pinpointed, then it becomes something bigger. 

(To ALL)

From his video sent to NBC:

"You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today," the 23-year-old gunman said angrily, in an excerpt shown on NBC Nightly News.

"But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off," Cho said.

"I didn't have to do this. I could have left. I could have fled. But now I will no longer run," the gunman said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6570241.stm

He blames his actions on others.  He blames their disease(s) for his actions.

Yet I say one should comfort the diseased; did anyone comfort him?  Did he bring his thoughts to those "diseased" that "caused" his actions?

This is a double-edged sword - with no one's hands clean of blood.

Perhaps some will learn.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: April 18, 2007, 10:55:58 pm »

My boyfriend is in S Korea...he says this story is way huge there and S Koreans keep coming up to him and expressing great sorrow and making apologies for the young mans actions. He tells them that they are not responsible for Cho...he had lived most of his life in the US, so they shouldn't consider him a representative of the Korean people.

He's had here most of his life. I sure don't see that the Koreans have anything to apologize for.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: April 18, 2007, 10:58:01 pm »

From his video sent to NBC:

What I saw of that was just plain weird. The guy did not make much sense -- and I understand that the printed message may make even less sense. I suspect there were some real problems in his head.

Randall
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 18, 2007, 11:38:48 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of this too.  The news here is talking up some kind of backlash against Korean-Americans; I've been trying to reassure people that that's totally overblown.

He called me about 10 minutes ago (it's Thursday morning there) and said the story is spreading there that Cho's parents committed suicide? I told him there is nothing here about that...He said the news there frequently broadcasts the slightest rumor as absolute true news...

Chosunilbo reported on that, though they did mention it was a rumor.  I wouldn't be surprised if other news outlets were reporting it as plain fact, considering that they also seriously report cases of "fan death" every summer.  This is the relevant bit of CI's piece:

Korean-American Among Victims of Virginia Massacre

[...]

Meanwhile, the father of Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-hui reportedly committed suicide. Radio Korea, a broadcaster for Korean expatriates in Los Angeles, said rumors spread in Virginia’s Korean community that the killer’s father slashed a main artery with a knife after learning that his son was identified as the gunman in the shooting massacre. The shooter’s mother also tried to kill herself but failed and is in critical condition, the broadcaster added.

I looked up Radio Korea, but their site is only in Korean, so I couldn't check out the original story.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:43:38 pm by Beachglass, Reason: Spelling » Logged

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)