The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 02, 2021, 06:19:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2021, 06:19:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Druidry and ADF?  (Read 4845 times)
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am
United States United States

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 09, 2008, 09:50:28 pm »

For some reason I've had the urge to look into ADF within the past week or so.

I am looking at ADF's website and trying to figure out what sites are more valid than others...

Is there any advice to give to someone who is looking into Druidry? For example, recommended book lists, recommended authors, what books aren't so good, etc...

Also, for those of you who are ADF's or follow a Druidic path, what drew you to this path?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:14:50 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject Modified » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 10, 2008, 03:24:04 pm »

For some reason I've had the urge to look into ADF within the past week or so.

I am looking at ADF's website and trying to figure out what sites are more valid than others...

Is there any advice to give to someone who is looking into Druidry? For example, recommended book lists, recommended authors, what books aren't so good, etc...

Also, for those of you who are ADF's or follow a Druidic path, what drew you to this path?

I'm doing the same thing you are, and am in the process of finding a Druid group to join (if I don't decide to stay as a solitary). I've been debating between the ADF and the OBOD. Though I have been also considering the Henge of Keltria, which was created by some people who had left the ADF. To be honest, if I do join a group it will most likely be the ADF, since I also have honored my Germanic and Slavic ancestors, as well as my Celtic ones. All of that is still possible within the ADF. The OBOD is the largest of the Druid groups and is based in the UK.

For me personally the authors that I've been enjoying reading on Druidry are Philip Carr-Gomm, John Michael Greer, Isaac Bonewits, Brendan Cathbad Myers and Robert Lee Ellison. There are lots of other authors out there and there are probably people on TC who can steer you to other authors to look out for.

When I first became interested in Druidry I bookmarked tons of websites and then slowly and carefully went through them, deleting the ones that sounded too flaky and too New Agey for me. Since I have a degree in anthropology, love history and have been a Pagan for more than 25 years, I want to belong to a Druid group that emphasizes scholarship and history; not one of those that claim that Merlin was a saint and that have you meditating on chakras and receive messages from angels.

Here is a site that has a list of Druid books that might interest you: http://spiritdimension.com/druidism_/000/ The Druid Network has lots of good info: http://druidnetwork.org/ Here is a website that compares the ADF with the OBOD: http://www.adf.org/about/adf-and-obod.html The OBOD's website: http://www.druidry.org/ And the Henge of Keltria's website: http://www.keltria.org/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:26:37 pm by RhiannonWhiteMare » Logged

Rigantona, Great Queen
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 11, 2008, 09:26:48 am »

Thanks RhiannonWhiteMare!

The more I continue reading over ADF's site, I begin to feel more comfortable and don't feel that it's going to be a decision that I won't make, but right now I'm learning on my own before starting the Dedicant Path. I want to be absolutely sure, even with all the doubts and questions that I have.

I'm also trying to learn Irish pronunciation and then later, hopefully a course in Irish.

My path is continuing on its spiral dance (to use a Wiccan term) and I am finding things about myself that I would never have known before I began my path.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 11, 2008, 11:53:13 am »

Thanks RhiannonWhiteMare!

The more I continue reading over ADF's site, I begin to feel more comfortable and don't feel that it's going to be a decision that I won't make, but right now I'm learning on my own before starting the Dedicant Path. I want to be absolutely sure, even with all the doubts and questions that I have.

I'm also trying to learn Irish pronunciation and then later, hopefully a course in Irish.

My path is continuing on its spiral dance (to use a Wiccan term) and I am finding things about myself that I would never have known before I began my path.

You're quite welcome! I understand what you mean about your path being a spiral dance. My own path has been like that for a long time now as I try to find the one that I am satisified and happy with. I've got lots to learn about Druidry myself and if this is really the way that I want to make. I'm still doing a lot of reading and learning before I want to commit myself to joining a group.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:56:29 am by RhiannonWhiteMare » Logged

Rigantona, Great Queen
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 11, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

You're quite welcome! I understand what you mean about your path being a spiral dance. My own path has been like that for a long time now as I try to find the one that I am satisified and happy with. I've got lots to learn about Druidry myself and if this is really the way that I want to make. I'm still doing a lot of reading and learning before I want to commit myself to joining a group.

Definitely see it the same way... That's why I just call myself a Druid/Celtic Recon. Seeker at the moment.

Hey... we can help each other with our homework if we join around the same time! LOL! Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)