The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 12:22:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:22:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why You Chose or Were Drawn to Celtic Reconstructionism...  (Read 2422 times)
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am
United States United States

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 11, 2008, 05:25:14 pm »

Just thought this would be a neat little way to get to know other members who follow a Celtic Reconstruction path...

If you reply, state:

• Why you chose or were drawn to the path you are on.
  • How you came about studying it.
  • How you know that this is the path for you in the present.
  • Where you hope your path will take you, and your goals.

These are just basic questions, feel free to go off on a tangent. I will go ahead and start...

Why I Chose/Was Drawn to My Present Path

I started out with Wicca and then branched off to do my own thing, I was never initiated in any specific tradition and never felt it necessary to do so. However, when I began talking to a close friend who has also considered Druidry, I began seeing just how similar my beliefs and interests are and she gave me some pointers. As I was practicing the path that I was on, I never really felt that I was fully satisfied. As I travel the spiral path along the lines of Druidism/Celtic Reconstruction, I'm slowly but surely finding that this is where I belong.

How I Came About Studying My Present Path

I began by searching Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF) and felt that I should give it more consideration. So I have started learning more about the Irish language and its pronunciation as well as proverbs and phrases. I am also looking at several books to create a booklist to buy, which will probably be those books that will go along with the Dedicant Path for ADF, which I am soon hoping to apply for membership.

How I Know This is the Path for Me in the Present

It's just the fact that after searching in many other paths in the broad spectrum of Paganism, I finally feel that I don't have to seek Deity, but that Deity is finding me. So far the Morrigan and Manannán are the ones speaking and showing me that I am on the right path. My beliefs tend to align with what the Druids believe and it just makes more sense to me than wandering around and testing everything, which is a great method to find your path... but now I'm seeing that I want more, so since I believe "thou art god/dess," I am putting the issues into my own hands instead of waiting for Deity to do it for me... Now, instead of me feeling that I am lost and confused, I feel safe, secure, and content.

Where I Hope My Path Will Take Me, and My Goals

I hope my path will lead me to the place where I shed away all of the masks that I have worn, and reveal the true spirit within and let it be radiant to all who know me, without me having to say a word. I hope to develop a more intense knowledge of herbalism, Druidic Life/Lore, and to develop the nine Druidic virtues in such a way that it's not longer a form of "doing" but "being." My possible goals are to continue Druidic studies, as a solitary, and to work my way to find whether or not it's meant for me to be in the Clergy of ADF and if so, to work my way to establishing a grove locally or becoming a member of another grove.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:27:19 pm by Dalaigh Eoghan » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 11, 2008, 10:06:46 pm »

Why you chose or were drawn to the path you are on.

I've always been interested in Celtic art, history, mythology archeology, etc.  I'm a typical American "mutt", and part of my ancestry harks back to Ireland, Scotland, and Gaul.  That might have something to do with it, I'm not sure.

Anyway, over the years, as I read more and more about various Celtic topics, I realized that I was really focusing in on Brighid.  Eventually, I figured out that Brighid had been in my life for a long time, maybe the whole time.  At that point, I had an experience that I believe to be contact with Brighid.  That has happened only a very few times, but each time it was at a point of mental or physical crisis.

How you came about studying it.

I guess I covered that above.

How you know that this is the path for you in the present.

I know this is the path for me now because I can't imagine being on any other path.   Cheesy

Where you hope your path will take you, and your goals.

I don't really have any goals.  I'd like to have more direct interaction with Brighid, but it seems like that only happens when I'm in crisis.  And I don't really want more crises, so I guess I'll have to forego the interactions. Wink

I'm not sure I would know how to set goals this situation or what kind of goals I would have.  I don't really do much in the way of ritual, but what I do, I do faithfully every night.

If you'd asked me that question a few years ago, I probably woould have listed books I wanted to read, but I've read pretty much every book on all of the CR reading lists at this point, and I'm into second and third readings, and always on the lookout for good new material.

So I guess I'll have to just keep muddling through with no goals.   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 12, 2008, 04:58:16 pm »

I started out as a Wiccan, with an emphasis on the Celtic pantheon. When I became a Pagan many years ago Wicca was the main tradition that people seemed to follow. That was what was focused upon in the books that were being published. And since this was long before the Internet and the networking that Pagans can do now, you really didn't have information on anything else. If you wanted info on anything else you were basically SOL. Even though I was Wiccan for many years I wasn't happy with it. I was always drawn to the Celtic path and I wanted to honor the deities of my ancestors. Even though I am also of Germanic and Slavic ancestry, it was the Celtic pantheon that called to me. I loved Celtic music, artwork, the myths and legends, the landscape, the languages, etc.

A few years ago I decided that I didn't want to be Wiccan anymore. It wasn't satisfying me and I no longer felt that it was right for me. So much of it clashed with what I believed. I'm a polytheist, not a duotheist. The Celts didn't have triple goddesses of Maiden, Mother and Crone. The Celts had many local deities and not the universial ones like in Wicca. I wanted something else. So I began searching more online and in the books and discovered Celtic Recon and fell in love with it. And it feels right to me. And it's moving me closer to Druidism, which brings me closer to my Gaulish ancestors.

I think that my own goals are to learn as much as I can, to study as much as I can, to shed away the layers that being in Wicca so long as put onto me and embrace the path that I was meant to be on all these years. I hope to eventually learn the Irish language and herbalism and as much as I can about the Druids, both ancient and modern.

Rigantona, Great Queen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.