The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 14, 2021, 07:58:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 14, 2021, 07:58:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred space  (Read 9437 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 13, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »

I've been thinking about the concept of sacred space--whether members of different religions worship in sacred space or not, and what exactly constitutes as sacred space.

I'm sure for many Christians when they walk into Church they feel as though they have entered into sacred space. Likewise, Hindu's no doubt feel that their temple is sacred space. However, on the flip side, Jehovah's Witnesses don't necessarily regard their Kingdom Hall as sacred space; it's more of a meeting place.

Some Pagans (perhaps predominantly Wiccans) create their own sacred space.

How do you feel about sacred space? Do you think it exists? Is it a set place, or do you create it yourself? Do you think it 'means more' to the God(s) if you worship in sacred space, or doesn't it matter?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 13, 2008, 10:19:13 pm »

I've been thinking about the concept of sacred space--whether members of different religions worship in sacred space or not, and what exactly constitutes as sacred space.

I'm sure for many Christians when they walk into Church they feel as though they have entered into sacred space. Likewise, Hindu's no doubt feel that their temple is sacred space. However, on the flip side, Jehovah's Witnesses don't necessarily regard their Kingdom Hall as sacred space; it's more of a meeting place.

Some Pagans (perhaps predominantly Wiccans) create their own sacred space.

How do you feel about sacred space? Do you think it exists? Is it a set place, or do you create it yourself? Do you think it 'means more' to the God(s) if you worship in sacred space, or doesn't it matter?
I have always taken to the point of view that all the earth is sacred and so therefore all space is sacred.  I rarely open circles to cast spells.  If I do, it's usually for protection, or to create a specific effect, like a building>holding>releasing of energy.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't, I just kind of go with what hits me. 

This is not to say that all space is always sacred.  I do beleive in unholy beasties, and thier ability to make my space "unclean" so to speak.  But I feel as though nature cleanses it's outer spaces, just as I smudge my inner home.  And so I have no need for always "creating" sacred space. 

Although that begs the question of all space being equally sacred to me?  I don't believe so.  That's like saying equally clean or equally evil,  ...doesn't sound right.
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 13, 2008, 11:45:36 pm »

I have always taken to the point of view that all the earth is sacred and so therefore all space is sacred.  I rarely open circles to cast spells.  If I do, it's usually for protection, or to create a specific effect, like a building>holding>releasing of energy.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't, I just kind of go with what hits me.

I have the same beliefs/ideals as tigerlilly does in this matter.

However, I do believe in establishing the boundaries which ADF calls "sacred space" because of the center and edges... I do believe it is proper to designate certain area for magic or ritual purposes, but feel that once it is designated, until something comes along to replace it and let it retire, then it continues to be so.

Now, if I am just doing some folk magic and what-not, then I will just use what I have on hand and keep the designated ritual area, unless doing a specific ritual working, off to the side unless it is the only proper area that I have to use... but I would do certain things in the kitchen, outdoors, etc.
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 14, 2008, 02:42:20 am »

I don’t know if it is sacred space for me as much as it is often more aptly put ‘purified space’. A space cleaned of negative energy and clear of undue earthly clutter seems to be more appealing to my gods and more readily invites their presence. I think the act of purifying the space might actually be what gets their attention. Also, it just seems respectful, kind of like clearing a space for a guest to sit down at your house (gods just require a different kind of ‘seat’  Smiley).

When it comes to actual ‘sacred space’…well, that’s harder. My instinct tells me that it is sometimes created but not a norm, does exist continually (even beyond the lives of its creators), and that a lot goes into making a space truly sacred (my gut tells me it may have something to do with a community of faith, requiring more than just one person’s belief to effect, but I also get the sense that something less permanent but equally powerful can be created by the individual).

[Disclaimer: All UPG with loose Kemetic connotations.]

milylasouris
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 01, 2009, 02:10:13 pm
France France

Religion: Dianic Wicca (still in first year)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 14, 2008, 10:34:47 am »

One of the things that started my separation from Christianity was that I felt sitting on a mossy ground in a deep, old pine forest much more sacred than sitting in a church.

For me, a sacred space is wherever I feel closest to the Goddess. That can be by my little altar, that can be sitting in a chair focussing on a candle and it can be in front of a beautiful sunset or vista which captures my spirit. Most often, I feel that my most sacred spaces aren't created by me or other people, they're created by nature.

Em
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 14, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »

One of the things that started my separation from Christianity was that I felt sitting on a mossy ground in a deep, old pine forest much more sacred than sitting in a church.

For me, a sacred space is wherever I feel closest to the Goddess. That can be by my little altar, that can be sitting in a chair focussing on a candle and it can be in front of a beautiful sunset or vista which captures my spirit. Most often, I feel that my most sacred spaces aren't created by me or other people, they're created by nature.

Em

That is how I feel as well, Em. I've never understood why churches keep having to expand and take up more room, when to me, that is not sacred space. To me, sacred space is under the sky, on the ground in the middle of the forest, on a mountaintop, on the shore as the tide rolls in. That is where I commune best with my God and Goddess and with Mother Earth.

Rigantona, Great Queen
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 14, 2008, 04:26:56 pm »

I've never felt an overwhelming need for a sacred space. I will purify a space before doing any ritutals, but that's pretty much it. I tend to view everything as the same, so nothing is more sacred than anything else. And I've never had a problem talking to my gods anywhere, at work, at home, in a forest. They hear me and I hear them.  Cheesy

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 14, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »

I have always taken to the point of view that all the earth is sacred and so therefore all space is sacred.  I rarely open circles to cast spells.  If I do, it's usually for protection, or to create a specific effect, like a building>holding>releasing of energy. 

I agree with you here. I have rarely been one to cast a circle in order to cast spells; although that is most probably because I'm more of a kitchen witch. I rarely cast circles for ritual either, though. I feel I can reach out to my Gods without it- more so outside, or in front of my shrine/altar.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 14, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »

Nicely said. I feel the same way  Smiley

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 15, 2008, 05:47:37 am »

Sacred is as sacred does - that is, if I want a space to be sacred, it will be. I feel that nature is by its very essence sacred, but I will purify indoor space for a formal ritual. I'm not sure whether or how much it matters to the Gods. They hear me anyway, but I suspect They appreciate the effort. Like someone further up said - cleaning for welcomed guests. They won't notice the dustbunny under the sofa, but the candles and cleaned up altar is nice.

Circle casting only for spell work or if I'm being really formal about a celebration. It's a container for energy to me, but it's also like a closed door to the messy bedroom which I didn't clean before the guests came.  Wink

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 15, 2008, 10:50:39 am »

This is not to say that all space is always sacred.  I do beleive in unholy beasties, and thier ability to make my space "unclean" so to speak.  But I feel as though nature cleanses it's outer spaces, just as I smudge my inner home.  And so I have no need for always "creating" sacred space. 
Although that begs the question of all space being equally sacred to me?  I don't believe so.  That's like saying equally clean or equally evil,  ...doesn't sound right.

Ditto. Couldn't have put it better.
Liadine (dragonflyeyes)
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 09, 2011, 04:04:36 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Religious hearthwitch

we owe it to each other to tell stories

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 18, 2008, 06:07:07 am »

I have always taken to the point of view that all the earth is sacred and so therefore all space is sacred. I rarely open circles to cast spells.  If I do, it's usually for protection, or to create a specific effect, like a building>holding>releasing of energy.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't, I just kind of go with what hits me.

My view runs along similar lines, but when I do any sort of prolonged ritual (not for my nightly candle lighting but for last month's Samhain celebration, for example) I tend to mark the grounds of a particular 'patch' of sacred space. I don't 'create' it - it's already there - but I recognize it and tend to it.

Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer
utters itself. So, a woman will lift
her head from the sieve of her hands and stare
at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.
[Carol Ann Duffy]
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 18, 2008, 09:54:13 am »

Well, firstly, I don't think 'sacred' is a standalone adjective.  If something is sacred, it is sacred with regards to something, like a certain Diety or religion.  So what is sacred to a particular religion depends a lot on that religions beliefs.  A religion that sees divinity in nature will regard natural areas as automatically sacred.  In Christianity, divinity is restricted to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, so no place on earth is automatically sacred.  It can be made sacred, however, by dedicating it to (or being strongly linked to) God or Christianity.

How do you feel about sacred space? Do you think it exists? Is it a set place, or do you create it yourself?
For me, personally, whether or not I believe sacred space is set or automatic will depend on how I end up defining divinity.  Right now I'm flopping on whether natural areas are automatically sacred, but I firmly believe that human-constructed places are not, unless specifically designated so. 

Yes, I can create sacred space myself, by dedicating an area to Gods or my path, whether it be permanently or for only a short period of time.  A space can be sacred one hour, and not the next. 

Do you think it 'means more' to the God(s) if you worship in sacred space, or doesn't it matter?
Well, I think that when one sits down to begin worshipping the Gods, you automatically make that space sacred, even if you haven't formally dedicated it so, because for that period of time, it has a link to them and the specific purpose of worship.  So I guess I my answer is, you can't worship somewhere that isn't sacred.  The space may not have been before, or after, but during the worship it is. 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 18, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »

Well, firstly, I don't think 'sacred' is a standalone adjective.  If something is sacred, it is sacred with regards to something, like a certain Diety or religion.  So what is sacred to a particular religion depends a lot on that religions beliefs.  A religion that sees divinity in nature will regard natural areas as automatically sacred.  In Christianity, divinity is restricted to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, so no place on earth is automatically sacred.  It can be made sacred, however, by dedicating it to (or being strongly linked to) God or Christianity.

That makes a lot of sense.

Well, I think that when one sits down to begin worshipping the Gods, you automatically make that space sacred, even if you haven't formally dedicated it so, because for that period of time, it has a link to them and the specific purpose of worship.  So I guess I my answer is, you can't worship somewhere that isn't sacred.  The space may not have been before, or after, but during the worship it is. 

But is it not still sacred afterwards because of the fact that you have worshipped there? Personally, I find it hard to grasp the idea that space can be sacred one minute, and not the next. This is probably why I rarely cast a circle (and if I do, it is not to create sacred space, but to help contain energy).

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 18, 2008, 08:41:43 pm »

For me personally, very little is really sacred...yet I have a real respect for certain places.  Like my altar (for lack of a better word).  I wouldn't call it sacred, but I want my family to respect the things that I have there.  The same with nature.  I look at all of nature to be respected, but it's not really sacred, I guess, in that I am fine with tramping all over it.  To me, the word sacared invokes the feeling that a mere mortal like myself is somehow not worthy to even be there without permission from the gods, and there's really no place on this earth that I feel that way about.

For my gods, it doesn't matter.  I talk to them everywhere.  I tend to fell more attuned to them in nature or in certain situations, but I feel like I can certainly call on them without casting a circle first.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)