The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:01:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:01:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Male FlameTenders?  (Read 4620 times)
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am
United States United States

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 15, 2008, 01:10:07 am »

I don't know statistics or anything... but I was wondering how many males you know are FlameTenders?

Just to let you gals/guys(?) know... I talked with SunflowerP... It's a major possibility that I will be coming in as a Cill member, but me and Brighid are still talking at the moment... So feel free to offer up prayers because I do want to become one, but don't want to do it unless Brighid desires that I do it. It is Her flame after all and I would never want to step on Her foot, since She is my "big sis" as I call Her.

So, what do you think about male FlameTenders and how do you think it's possibly different, if there is any difference? Also, what would you advise a new FlameTender to do, other than keep constant communication with Brighid and keep the vows I make as a FlameTender?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 15, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »

As I'm sure you already know if you've talked to Sunflower, we made a decision when forming the Cauldron Cill to include anyone interested in keeping Brighid's flame, regardless of gender.  We all understand that the original Keepers were women and that men were barred from that work, but, as a group we felt that this Cill should be inclusive.

I have no idea how many men are involved with keeping Brighid's flame.  There are cills all over the place, and some are women only and some are co-ed.  My personal opinion is that anyone who is called by Brighid can tend Her flame, whether within a cill or independently.  I really like being a part of the TC Cill, but I also tend the flame every single night, whether it's my shift or not, as part of my devotionals.  So, in a sense, I guess you could say I don't really need a cill.

I would advise a new flame tender to start reading and thinking, start talking (posting, emailing, chatting, whatever) with other flame tenders about their experiences, and look for ways to stay mindful of your relationship with Brighid all the time, not just when you remember to light a flame for Her.

If you decide to join the TC Cill, you will be welcome.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 15, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »

I also meant to say that Ord Brighideach (http://ordbrighideach.org) has two exclusively male cills, in addition to the female and coed cills.  So obviously other men are called to be Flametenders.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 15, 2008, 02:54:17 pm »

I would advise a new flame tender to start reading and thinking, start talking (posting, emailing, chatting, whatever) with other flame tenders about their experiences, and look for ways to stay mindful of your relationship with Brighid all the time, not just when you remember to light a flame for Her.

I guess I'm off to a good start then. Wink The way I view it (and I guess I could thank my background in Christianity for this) is that Deity is to always be on our mind because since we are God/dess ourselves, we are connected to them in a deeper way than we sometimes realize. We don't have to be doing anything special just to think of them, but could and should look at the small things in our daily lives to show us what Deity is saying rather than just taking it all as coincidence.

If you decide to join the TC Cill, you will be welcome.

Thanks. Smiley So far it seems like me and Brighid are coming to a decision... I'll give it a few more days just to make sure, unless She decides to thwap me on the head or scream in my ears (which will really get my attention since I'm partially deaf.)  Cheesy So once the decision is finalized I will let you all know. Grin
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 15, 2008, 02:56:31 pm »

I also meant to say that Ord Brighideach (http://ordbrighideach.org) has two exclusively male cills, in addition to the female and coed cills.  So obviously other men are called to be Flametenders.   Wink

Talk about confirmation! Tongue

I wouldn't mind if I was the only male flametender... As long as Brighid is satisfied. Smiley Although I'm sure I would probably fit in with all the women since my friends say I'm practically "one of the girls." Tongue
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 15, 2008, 11:31:03 pm »

I wouldn't mind if I was the only male flametender... As long as Brighid is satisfied. Smiley Although I'm sure I would probably fit in with all the women since my friends say I'm practically "one of the girls." Tongue
There are two males in the Cauldron Cill already - neither of them has posted on TC in quite a while, but they're still on the roster.  IIRC, one of them - Lailoken - has been in our Cill right from when we started.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 15, 2008, 11:48:11 pm »

That's cool... I hope they come back around so we can share stories of being male FlameTenders...
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 20, 2008, 11:25:50 am »

So, what do you think about male FlameTenders and how do you think it's possibly different, if there is any difference? Also, what would you advise a new FlameTender to do, other than keep constant communication with Brighid and keep the vows I make as a FlameTender?

I think the Goddess calls those whom she calls, and I have no problems working with men in any of my magical or spiritual endeavors... even though I do have an interest in the feminist/women-only aspects of Goddess worship.

I also don't see much of an issue of men working with Brigit herself. Men can certainly be healers and bards. My husband is a medical assistant who'd like to become an RN (though he works with Egyptian gods, not Brigit). Like I said... She calls whom She calls.

It's been my experience that Brigit takes an active hand in guiding her priests and priestesses. I get a lot of subtle nudges... like feeling the urge to log in and catch up with the boards on my last few Cill shifts. Or getting urges to write down certain bits of poetry at odd times of the day or night. Her healing aspects have been really appreciated as I work through a difficult time in my life right now.

So my advice? Just listen. She'll tell you what she requires of you. And don't be afraid to push back a little when you need to. She's a demanding sort, and sometimes mundane needs are gonna have to come first.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)