The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 07:16:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 07:16:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Easy Holiday Recipes Here  (Read 2820 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: November 15, 2008, 04:44:48 pm »

So as it gets closer to American Thanksgiving and other winter holidays, I thought it would be nice to share easy recipes that you use for the endless parties, entertaining, and family get-togethers at this time of year. While we all have our elaborate favorites, we also have those last minute invitations where we scramble to put something together while we try to shower, feed the dogs, clean the house, dress the kids, etc.  Share your go-to time savers with the rest of us.

Here's a very easy (and yummy recipe) I just found:

Chocolate Satin Pie:

Ingredients:
1 9" graham cracker crust
1 can evaporated milk
2 large egg yolks
2 cups chocolate chips (We used Ghiardelli 60% cacao)
whipped cream
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Whisk together evaporated milk and egg yolks in medium saucepan.  Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and thickens slightly (about 5 minutes).  Do not boil.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate  chips until completely melted and mixture is smooth.

Pour into crust; refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.  Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nuts before serving.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect you could use other flavors of chip, like white chocolate or mint as long as they melt smoothly.  Chocolate shavings instead of nuts would probably also be good.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 17, 2008, 03:22:42 pm »

I copied down the recipe. I'm going to try it with chocolate mint chips, since my husband absolutely loves mint. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Rigantona, Great Queen
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 18, 2008, 07:32:22 am »

So as it gets closer to American Thanksgiving and other winter holidays, I thought it would be nice to share easy recipes that you use for the endless parties, entertaining, and family get-togethers at this time of year. While we all have our elaborate favorites, we also have those last minute invitations where we scramble to put something together while we try to shower, feed the dogs, clean the house, dress the kids, etc.  Share your go-to time savers with the rest of us.

Here's a very easy (and yummy recipe) I just found:
Sperran

Oh, I'm going to have to try that! (I read it wrong the first time, I thought it was chocolate Satan pie.  Grin

I've got one:

Pumpkin Topping:

Use in place of whipped cream on pumkin pie:

3 oz pkg of softened cream cheese
1/4 tsp gound cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
8 oz tub of non-dairy whipped topping (Cool-whip)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
Dash of cloves

Beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended. Stir in all remaining ingredieants except whipped topping. Fold in whipped topping. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

This can also be used as a dip for gingerbread cookies or cinnamon graham crackers. Or spoon it into those mini graham cracker pie shells for tiny pie-like treats.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: November 18, 2008, 07:40:55 am »

This is not a holiday recipe as such, I guess, but we only ever make it at the holidays for some reason.  It's my mom's recipe; I have no idea where she got it from.

Pink Coconut Candy

1 block softened cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar (1lb, I think)
coconut to taste
1 tsp strawberry extract or other flavoring
red food coloring to taste

Mix everything together. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper and let sit for four hours or until set.  (WARNING:  High humidity will make it difficult or impossible to get these to set properly.  What they're really doing is drying, and if there's too much moisture in the air they can't dry...)

If you can find the boxes of strawberry powdered sugar, you can use that and omit the flavoring and food coloring.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 18, 2008, 11:15:53 pm »

I don't know that this is a TIME saver, per se, but it's definitely an effort saver:

Really Good Turkey

--Get turkey (or turkey breast) of choice, make sure all thawed, etc., preheat oven and prepare to cook turkey for appropriate amount of time.

--Set turkey in roasting pan. Take 1 to 2 lbs. of bacon (depending on size of turkey) -- fattier is better -- and lay strips all over turkey until bird as completely covered as possible.

The fat melts as the bacon cooks and it bastes the turkey FOR you, so you don't have to do anything at all. It also gives the skin a nice dark color. The turkey comes out beautifully moist and the skin has a bacony bit of flavor. And whoever is stuck with the carving gets to eat the crispy bacon bits that fall off!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)