The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 09:18:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 09:18:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Herbs?  (Read 10791 times)
Dalaigh Eoghan
Journeyman
Last Login:December 12, 2008, 10:24:39 am
United States United States

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 16, 2008, 10:02:55 pm »

What's your favorite herbs to work with and why?

Mine would probably be Sage because of the way I feel when I use it in food and in smudge sticks/incense (although I have bought the ground sage and put it in a glass container with salt and burned it... doesn't smell as great as the sticks/incense). I feel like all the negativity in my life at that moment is leaving and that I'm being restored to a proper state of mind in which I can focus again.

I also like to use Parsley, Basil, and Rosemary in cooking just not sure of how I would use them in magic just yet... I do need to brush up on my herbalism since it's been a while since I remembered their uses.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 16, 2008, 11:24:24 pm »

My favorites is probably lavender and eucalyptus. I love the clean refreshing smell they have, especially when combined. You can just feel all the stress and negativity wash away. Plus eucalyptus is good at opening up you sinus and chest if you are feeling a little stuffy.

I work with a lot of herbs and I have my own herb garden. If I can get it, I can grow it. I am about to finish my herb harvest for the year, it isn't too cold here yet (TX) but it will be soon enough, so I need to get all I can before they are done for the year.

Here is an old thread that you might find interesting on Kitchen Witch tips...

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=3581.0

Tons of useful information on there for your everyday life and practice.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
milylasouris
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 01, 2009, 02:10:13 pm
France France

Religion: Dianic Wicca (still in first year)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 17, 2008, 04:16:12 am »

For my environment, it would have to be jasmine, lavender and peppermint, though I do agree that sage is quite lovely, too.

For cooking, I would have to start with coriander (I use vast amounts of that) and I have a collection of different sorts of basil plants.
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 17, 2008, 07:44:02 am »

I love herbs!  I am also a lover of sage and grow several differnt kinds for my kitchen and my magical workings as well.  I just bundle a bunch of it together and smudge with that.  Other cooking herbs I love are cilantro/coriander, basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary.  For bath/body uses I like lavender, calendula, and peppermint.  For teas, I like peppermint, chamomile, nettle and red raspberry leaf.  For medicinal uses, there are lots of things - wild cherry bark, valerian, elderberry, hawthorn berry, arnica, ginseng.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 17, 2008, 11:18:36 am »

Mine would probably be Sage because of the way I feel when I use it in food and in smudge sticks/incense (although I have bought the ground sage and put it in a glass container with salt and burned it... doesn't smell as great as the sticks/incense). I feel like all the negativity in my life at that moment is leaving and that I'm being restored to a proper state of mind in which I can focus again.

I also like to use Parsley, Basil, and Rosemary in cooking just not sure of how I would use them in magic just yet... I do need to brush up on my herbalism since it's been a while since I remembered their uses.

Lavender and Peppermint. The former because it is just fantastic for general healing, and the latter because I suffer with hay fever and cat hair allergies and Peppermint stops my sneezing fits.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 17, 2008, 12:41:21 pm »

Rosemary, and mint.  Can't really say why, just have loved them for always.  And lavender, but that's not growing currently so I've had little ... "interaction" with it.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 17, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »

I use rosemary a lot, it's a good substitute herb for lots of things. I love the roses in my garden, I use them for a lot of things. Likewise the sage, peppermint and yarrow I grow. For some reason I can't get lavender to do well here. I got a new one last weekend, so maybe it'll go.

I like to use the plants I grow at home most, b/c I am attuned to them best. I mostly use herbs in charms, infusions, potions, all the kitchen witch type of things.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 27, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

Another vote for Sage here.  I burn it for cleansing when there is an actual problem to address.  For general cleansing I usually go with something a little less stinky, often rosemary leaves or sweetgrass incense. 

I almost always use peppermint in sachets or "witch bags."  I find it stabilizes and supports the energy of the other herbs, and keeps things clean and free from unwanted influences. 

Lavender is my favourite for bath products, mostly because it repels mosquitos.  Wink

Betty
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 27, 2008, 11:10:04 am »

Mugwort, vervain and dittany of Crete - I grow and harvest all of these myself. Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) for fatigue, protection, dreamwork; vervain (Verbena officinalis) for sanctification, protection and inspiration; dittany (Origanum dictamnus) courage, love and divination.

(Warning: all of these should be avoided by pregnant women.)
Winter_Witch
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2010, 01:29:59 pm

Religion: Wiccan

I Believe

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 11, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

Lavender, mints, patchouli, and frankincense for me.   Grin  Lavender, because it's one of the most soothing herbs/scents for me.  Mints because of their digestive soothing purposes, and they taste great!  Patchouli because it always reminds me of Samhain, even in the dead of winter.  And frankincense because it's a "clearing"/cleansing herb for me.
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 11, 2010, 08:43:31 pm »

Sage.  Just prepping it makes me happy.  The scent as you rub it is blissful and healing.  A cup of sage tea when I'm ill, sweetened with honey.  Burning to smudge the house during the Samhain rites...  It's just a great herb.

Broad leaf plantain.  A common weed that is a great healer.  If you get a bug bite, chew it and rub the spot and the itch goes away.  Make a strong extract in oil or lard and you've got a skin cream that will treat many skin issues.  Combine that with calendula, a little Vit. E and some beeswax and you've got a treatment for psoriasis that actually helps and it doesn't cost $200 a tube like the stuff my hubby's uncle was paying for the Rx stuff.

Mint.  OMG!  Always plenty to work with, so many flavors, great for both internal and external applications, and it is gorgeous in the garden, too?  Plus where it sneaks out into the lawn it makes mowing a pleasure.  Smiley  I love mint.  Does it show?

Parsley.  Ladies, this is the best diuretic I've found that doesn't have weird side effects and it has more vitamin C than oranges. 

Jewelweed.  If you get poison ivy, oak or sumac, this plant is your friend.  The juice neutralizes urshuriol oil, the part of the poison plant that gets you.  Nothing works better, and I do mean nothing.  Mom got a patch of poison mowing fence rows last summer.  Two weeks of treating with the stuff from the drug store didn't help at all.  Three days of treatment with jewelweed, rash dried up and gone.  Tim got it BAD on his chest shortly thereafter.  He came in right away and started treating.  Never got a single weep spot, the redness was gone that day and the rash was gone in two.  You can use it fresh, or you can extract in plain water at about 4 cups chopped plant material to a half gallon of water.  And you can can it to preserve some for use in the off season when you can't find the plants.  Half pint jars are the ideal size.  The opened jars last about a month in the fridge before they go stale and need to be discarded.

And Basil.  Powerful and tasty.  Garlic, lemon grass, raspberry leaf, rose hip, motherwort, nettle...  Okay, I could just keep going, but really, that's just silly.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 11, 2010, 09:49:15 pm »

I love my frankincense and myrrh mix. I also have a big passion for the Rowan berries I had purchased, but this mostly stems from the fact that my son is named after the sacred tree.  Grin

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 11, 2010, 09:54:14 pm »

Datura is my plant ally. It tells me things.

Most of my herbal friends are on the Poison Path, but there's also agave (the fiery heart of tequila Wink), juniper berries (the icy heart of gin) and absinthe (which makes the tart grow fonder, lol).

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 11, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

Rosemary, hands down. I've got a beautiful plant outside my home that's been growing for years, and I've routinely used it in cooking and as offerings. Recently I've started to burn it, also as offerings and as purification. I actually strongly dislike sage, partly because of the smell and because none of my deities belong to cultures that would have used it. (At least, I don't think.) It's just got a good, honest feel and scent to it. You can't go wrong with rosemary.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 11, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »

Nettles are amazing for food, medicine, and protection magic.  Gotta be the most versatile plant I grow.  My favorite flavoring herbs are rosemary, sage (common and fruit-scented), peppermint, savory, scented geraniums, lemon verbena, and thyme (esp. lemon thyme).  For just plain stinkies I love Corsican mint and pennyroyal (similar fragrance).  It brightens my mood just to brush up against them whilst weedin'.

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)