The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:24:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:24:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pilgrimages  (Read 6759 times)
Innse_Iboth
Apprentice
Last Login:October 20, 2009, 06:38:24 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Ogham Ura

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 16, 2007, 08:13:40 pm »

Does anyone observe any pilgrimages associated with their chosen path? What do people think about the idea of pilgrimage to a special place, and the meaning of this act?

There are several powerful and meaningful sacred places for me which I visit and where I conduct important rites.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 16, 2007, 08:53:39 pm »

I don't have a structured 'chosen' path per say (mostly abstract wanderings and stumblings), but there are a lot of places that I like to visit, where the vibes make it easier for me to get into certain mind-frames.

I live in New York City, so areas can get pretty compartmentalized- for a more 'water' feeling, I'd go to Riverside Park. Central Park always had a kind of wacky 'Enchanted Forest' feeling for me. The Union Square/NYU area for me has always a great place for art and creativity- a real hot spot for all stripes of religions and street preachers too.

I don't usually conduct any rituals in these areas, but walking around them usually gives me ideas for rituals and put me into a good frame of mind to carry them out.

Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:March 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 16, 2007, 10:12:43 pm »

I make periodic trips to various places in England and Wales, either day trips or planned within the framework of a weekend away.  I want to visit the remains of the sleep temple at Lydney, but last time I tried to go, I didn't realise that it's on the site of Lydney Park Gardens and it only has open days for a relatively short time in the year.  I was there at the wrong time unfortunately.  Usually I don't conduct rituals at known sacred sites - I have at Wayland Smithy once but that's about it.  I would often rather simply spend quiet time in these places.

Locally there are a couple of spots I tend to revisit.  I wouldn't really see somewhere very local as a pilgrimage, though.

I made a longer trip last year to Greece which was definitely part-pilgrimage as I had quite a few historical sites/temples I wanted to see.  I visited the Parthenon, Epidavros, the Corinth Temple of Apollo, the Argive Heraion as well as some more minor places, including a wacky and ultimately futile trip to find the source of the river Styx - the road got too poor for our little hire car.  The Parthenon was unsuprisingly very crowded, but with some of the other sites I was able to 'tune in' much more and that was very special.  This year I'd like to make another trip there and see some more places that I didn't get the chance to go to last time around.   
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 17, 2007, 01:54:42 pm »

Does anyone observe any pilgrimages associated with their chosen path? What do people think about the idea of pilgrimage to a special place, and the meaning of this act?

There are several powerful and meaningful sacred places for me which I visit and where I conduct important rites.

I've never done any pilgrimages, but I would like to. I'm not sure where I would go, if I did, however. I know there are a lot of places where the energy is strong, and where there is definitely a more "connected" feeling. I would love to scope out alot of those places and visit them (I know where a few are within walking distance of my home).

Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 17, 2007, 03:58:08 pm »

I'm planning to observe my very first pilgrimmage to Kildare, Ireland next Spring.  It means a lot to me.  I will probably only be able to do this once in a VERY Few Blue Moon, as I'm pretty poor.  And it's going to be my very first trip out of the US, too. 

I don't plan on performing any rituals, really.  I am hoping to get a tattoo to mark the occasion and seal my dedication to Brighid.

Guen  ~:)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 17, 2007, 05:30:07 pm »

I don't really find any one place in the world to be more sacred than any other.  I've been transplanted so many times, dirt is dirt to my roots.  That and my deities are fairly domestic.  I don't have to cross an ocean to get to their place of origin.  There's no real journey, cause I'm already here.

I think the journey is an important part of pilgrimage.  Part of the personal purification, and the mental arousal/release process.

There are places in my area that lend themselves well to magical usage, but they aren't decreed holy by any deity or religion.  Just good vibe spots.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 17, 2007, 05:40:35 pm »

I think the journey is an important part of pilgrimage.  Part of the personal purification, and the mental arousal/release process.

this is what I was going to say, but I couldn't think of how to say it. I really do think that the journey is as important, if not *more* important, than the destination.

Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:March 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 17, 2007, 05:57:53 pm »

In my own experience, I felt the destinations were more important, although I can appreciate that the more effort made, the more intense that experience may be eventually.  I wonder what it is like to go for the kind of pilgrimage experience which is made on foot for some distance before your destination - it's not something I've done, but I think that could be quite powerful and not something that can be replicated in a car or train.   Yet some places will feel very different depending upon when you go.  Sometimes, you or the site will be having an off-day.   Grin   

Good luck with your trip, Guenthecat.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:35:18 pm by Lorraine, Reason: wished good luck to the wrong person by mistake! » Logged
Innse_Iboth
Apprentice
Last Login:October 20, 2009, 06:38:24 pm

Religion: Ogham Ura

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 18, 2007, 07:36:53 pm »

I think I agree with what several people have said - that the transformation that occurs during the pilgrimage is as important as the destination. The illuminating aspect of it can be how different your objectives are at the completion of your pilgrimage compared to what they were when you started.

I write an invocation for the year ahead down in Ogham Ura and carry it to the foot of the mountain Schiehallion, where I camp overnight and burn it... partying a bit in the process. The next day at dawn I progress up the mountain to scatter the ashes of the invocation from the top. A good midsummer pilgrimage (you need a long day for the climb and descent potentially).

Since I was a child I have always felt powerfully drawn to those ancient sacred sites which I described in another thread, where a river runs through a deep gorge. For example, Roslin Glen, Dunino, The "Devil's Pulpit" (just south of Loch Lomond) etc.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 18, 2007, 10:20:03 pm »

I'm planning to observe my very first pilgrimmage to Kildare, Ireland next Spring.  It means a lot to me.  I will probably only be able to do this once in a VERY Few Blue Moon, as I'm pretty poor.  And it's going to be my very first trip out of the US, too. 

I don't plan on performing any rituals, really.  I am hoping to get a tattoo to mark the occasion and seal my dedication to Brighid.

Guen,

I'm so excited for you to be going to Kildare.  My older daughter and I are hoping to do that some day.

Maybe you'll bring Brighid's flame back for the Cill.  I know we already have it from Mattie's friend.  But it would be cool to have it again from a Cill member.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 19, 2007, 12:40:53 pm »

Guen,

I'm so excited for you to be going to Kildare.  My older daughter and I are hoping to do that some day.

Maybe you'll bring Brighid's flame back for the Cill.  I know we already have it from Mattie's friend.  But it would be cool to have it again from a Cill member.

Thanks Moon Ivy!  I'm really excited about it too.  It almost happend this May in a whirlwind, but reason took over and it was postponed for next May.

hehe, I just may take orders from people wishing to have their own flame from Kildare.  But I've got a whole year until that happens.

Guen  ~:)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 19, 2007, 04:19:21 pm »

There are places in my area that lend themselves well to magical usage, but they aren't decreed holy by any deity or religion.  Just good vibe spots.

Yeah there were places like that where I used to live - I've yet to find any here, but, that's mostly because I haven't looked yet.

As far as 'sacred' sites go... I haven't exactly been to many, but, I do still remember going to Stonehenge and touching the stones, 30 years ago or so.... not a pilgrimage I know, but, yeah, in my experience it counts as a special place Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 19, 2007, 05:54:51 pm »

As far as 'sacred' sites go... I haven't exactly been to many, but, I do still remember going to Stonehenge and touching the stones, 30 years ago or so.... not a pilgrimage I know, but, yeah, in my experience it counts as a special place Smiley

That's kinda how I felt about my visit to British Museum 10 years ago or so, before they put the Rosetta Stone behind glass.  We actually *touched* it!   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 19, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »

We actually *touched* it!   Cheesy

Yep, I know the reasons they stop you touching stuff are logical - and good - but it's just not the same!!!

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 19, 2007, 06:05:21 pm »

Yep, I know the reasons they stop you touching stuff are logical - and good - but it's just not the same!!!

Yeah.  My kids still joke about our trip.  We were standing there, and I just couldn't believe the ROSETTA STONE was sitting out in the middle of the room completely unprotected.  So I said, "Girls, it's the Rosetta Stone!  Touch it!"  And they said, "Huh?  What?  Why?"  And I said, "Just touch it!!  I'll explain later."

They were, like, 6 and 8 years old.  Now that they're 15 and 17, they get it, and think it's really cool that they got to touch the Rosetta Stone.  None of their teachers believe them, of course.  And the ones that do claim that we're the reason the Stone is now behind glass.   Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)