The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:12:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:12:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic Abilities???  (Read 4399 times)
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am
United States United States

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 19, 2008, 04:27:11 pm »

First off I placed this question here because I could not find a place that seemed appropriate. Forgive my ignorance if I made an error.

There has been a question that has been gnawing at my mind for a long time, it has to do with so-called "psychic abilities".

What point is there to developing any such abilities? For what purpose does it really serve? Is it just for personal fun? In a world that is highly industrialized and driven by science, what end does any ability serve? To whom?

I have to admit at times I was slightly interested in "telekinesis" but then the thought struck me, why? After I learned, for example, to move a pencil or some other object, what then? How is it even remotely applicable to my life?

I may or may not have "abilities", some supposedly psychic and others are not, but then I realized that 99.99% of it is useless to me; it can never be used meaningfully so why would I expend energy developing something that cannot be implemented in any way that resembles "useful".

I apologize if I sound coarse or inflamatory but I have seen numerous sites discussing "psychic" abilities and how to develop them but not one ever addressed the most important issue...why?

I simply do not understand what purpose thes things have aside from amusing friends and/or showing off as this seems to be a predominant attitude.

Thank you for the time...I really would like to know if these things really serve any purpose.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 19, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »

The only reason why I would even try to do develop psychic abilities is just to see if it's possible.  I don't see any use for telekinesis either unless it's strong enough to throw heavy/deadly objects at people who annoy me.  I would love to have precognitive abilities and use them to win the lottery, but that's not likely to happen as those who claim to have this ability haven't done so.

I think the only psychic ability that could have some practical use is mind reading and only because it would help one to decide who can be trusted.  Plus it would freak people out.  Now that I think about it, being able to communicate with the dead could be kinda cool.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: November 19, 2008, 04:53:12 pm »

I think the only psychic ability that could have some practical use is mind reading and only because it would help one to decide who can be trusted.  Plus it would freak people out.  Now that I think about it, being able to communicate with the dead could be kinda cool.

Well, telepathy and empathy are (in my not so humble opinion) not 'psychic' at all.
Everybody is more or less gifted with these, but most of us learn to ignore and silence them.
Telepathy might not be like 'Prof. Xavier' - but you can receive a lot by just 'listening' - it can be startling accurate in judging people once you allow your day-time modus to receive the subconsciously collected informations.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 19, 2008, 04:58:14 pm »

I see. That is the most compelling reason; because it is "cool". Got it. Thank you

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 19, 2008, 05:06:10 pm »

I see. That is the most compelling reason; because it is "cool". Got it. Thank you

I think there a lot of things we learn to do because they are "cool" that have no particular usefulness, not just psychic abilities. 
Memorizing pi to the nth decimal place.  Solving a rubix cube in 20 seconds.  Smashing beer cans on our head.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 19, 2008, 05:09:46 pm »

What point is there to developing any such abilities? For what purpose does it really serve? Is it just for personal fun? In a world that is highly industrialized and driven by science, what end does any ability serve? To whom?

Dowsing is useful for finding things -- like where the pipes are in your yard.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 19, 2008, 05:11:09 pm »

I think there a lot of things we learn to do because they are "cool" that have no particular usefulness, not just psychic abilities. 
Memorizing pi to the nth decimal place.  Solving a rubix cube in 20 seconds.  Smashing beer cans on our head.

So basically you are confirming what I have long suspected; that beyond general "intuition" used for survival, psychic abilities are pretty much a waste of time. Thank you

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 19, 2008, 05:13:08 pm »

Hell, everyone has hobbies that pertains to something they think is cool.

My Spiritual Blog
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 19, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »

Dowsing is useful for finding things -- like where the pipes are in your yard.

Can't you just contact the city for that?

Anyway..thanks everyone for the honest answers. I appreciate it. I have suspected that just because one may have an ability doesn't mean one must develop it; questions must be asked regarding to whom and what end it serves beyond personal amusement. Thanks.

Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 19, 2008, 05:18:19 pm »

Hell, everyone has hobbies that pertains to something they think is cool.

Maybe. But is it useful?? Wink

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: November 19, 2008, 05:18:46 pm »

Can't you just contact the city for that?

Sometimes, but some (non-Pagan) friends of mine used to use it for locating pipes and electrical conduit at the power plans they worked at because the plans often were not a good match for reality.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 19, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »

I hear a good quality metal detector can do wonders. I wonder if an ohm meter or something works better?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 19, 2008, 05:33:34 pm »

Maybe. But is it useful?? Wink

Depends really.  If someone collects stamps or coins there isn't much use except for possible monetary value in the future.  My hobbies are researching subjects such as history and abnormal psychology which, as a writer, is filled with usefulness Cheesy

My Spiritual Blog
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 19, 2008, 05:39:39 pm »

I see.  But on the issue of psychic abilities, I have often wondered why anyone would develop them, especially in a world that has no use for them much less even recognize or acknowledge them.

But there is an angle that I suspect I am not perceiving adequately and I need some more insight. Interesting.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 19, 2008, 07:41:25 pm »

But there is an angle that I suspect I am not perceiving adequately and I need some more insight. Interesting.

Depends on what you define as 'psychic abilities' too.  Intuition, I feel, can be useful by giving one information they wouldn't normally have. For example, you use your intuition to discern which way to drive to work.  You think, "oh I should probably take the surface streets" but take the highway instead because it's faster.  There is an accident and you are stuck in traffic and late for work.  Had you listened to your intuition, you'd have been to work on time. 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.