The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 01:02:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 01:02:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Geasa (Taboos)  (Read 15526 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 20, 2008, 12:31:02 am »

Spelling aside Smiley, I'm wondering if there's anyone else here at TC who considers him/herself to be under a geis (taboo).

I've mentioned on other threads that Brighid has communicated to me that I'm not to reach out to other deities or to engage in magic.  It didn't occur to me until yesterday, when I was mentally flailing about trying to describe how I know I'm not supposed to do those things (in response to a post from Aine), that these two "orders" or whatever seem to be pretty similar to some of the geasa described in the lore.

If there is anyone else out there in this situation, how did your deity communicate it to you?  Do you know why you were given this geis?  Were you agreeable, or did you try to argue?  Have you found it difficult to comply?  What would happen if you broke the taboo?  How long did your geis last?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Seleighe_sidhe
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 24, 2008, 07:10:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 22, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »

Spelling aside Smiley, I'm wondering if there's anyone else here at TC who considers him/herself to be under a geis (taboo).

I've mentioned on other threads that Brighid has communicated to me that I'm not to reach out to other deities or to engage in magic.  It didn't occur to me until yesterday, when I was mentally flailing about trying to describe how I know I'm not supposed to do those things (in response to a post from Aine), that these two "orders" or whatever seem to be pretty similar to some of the geasa described in the lore.

If there is anyone else out there in this situation, how did your deity communicate it to you?  Do you know why you were given this geis?  Were you agreeable, or did you try to argue?  Have you found it difficult to comply?  What would happen if you broke the taboo?  How long did your geis last?

The concept of a geis is Irish in origin. My own prohibition(s) (I will only touch on one to minimize the size of this posting), does not seem to be. However, I think that it is comparable enough for the purpose of this discussion.

As a child, I had numerous encounters with (black) bears. Once, for instance, I was licked on the head by a bear.

Sometime after this particular encounter, I had a very strange dream involving a bear. Over the course of this dream, we saved each other's lives. He seemed surprised to learn that my kind wasn't all barbarians and entrusted me to take him back to his people's land through my people's territory. Under normal circumstances, there would have been tremendous pressure to offer the bear to my people as food, but this was a sacred trust. When we arrived at the edge of his territory, he jumped from my arms (never mind how a child was carrying such a large bear) and thanked me. He said that he would place a special protection on me and I would not have to fear his people.

Though it seems strange to put such faith in the reality of a dream, I feel like this was more than a dream. That, somehow, I made an arrangement that I am honour bound to hold.

Ever since, I have not eaten bear meat (though I have friends who do). Since becoming a vegetarian, the chance of breaking this prohibition seems more remote.

I have had a few encounters with bears since (but not as many since I moved to the states). None, have resulted in anything unusual. I tend to keep my distance when I can help it.

Did this come from a god? I don't worship bears any more than, say, trees. Since all of life is an expression of deity, one might say that this is so. But I feel more like this was a treaty between two sovereign nations. I don't know why I was given the geis. I imagine that I will be held to it for the rest of my life if I am beholden by geis at all. I don't know if anything would happen if I broke it, but why test it?

It is very easy to be agreeable to a much larger, deadlier being.  Wink

As for you, I have a question in return. What, by your definition, is magic? In my understanding, it is impossible not to do magic. So, please, help me to understand.

I hope this has been helpful.

Travel light,
live light,
spread the light,
be the light.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 22, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »

I have been thinking on this since you first posted it.  I don't recall having exactly the same type of experience.

From your post I get the idea that this may be a temporary taboo and a sort of punishment? Is that correct or am I way off? Generally with me "punishment" from the deities is rather swift and direct.  It doesn't take the form of forbidding me from doing something.

I did become vegetarian more or less due to the will of a deity. But I feel it was a mutual agreement not one forced onto me, there are no repercussions if I fall off the vegan wagon.

Bast has been one to set limits with me, and in no uncertain terms. There are terms I am soley to use in her worship and not to be used for anyone else. But I think of this as more direction than taboo, but I guess by strict definition it could be thought of that way.

Isis also has directed me in which of her statues is to be appointed to which aspect of her and which one is to be my main focus. Again, I feel that is more direction for worship than an actual taboo.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: November 22, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »

From your post I get the idea that this may be a temporary taboo and a sort of punishment? Is that correct or am I way off? Generally with me "punishment" from the deities is rather swift and direct.  It doesn't take the form of forbidding me from doing something.

Not Moon Ivy, but given what was happening at the time she was first told not to do magic (I remember that thread and the other threads she had going at the time) I would think this particular geas was/is more protective than anything.  She was searching for a solution to her migraines on all levels, medical, spiritual, and magical.  The impression I got was that the search for magical remedies was making the problem worse.

Considering my own problems with migraines (now long-solved, thank everything I could possibly thank) it seemed like a reasonable prohibition to me at the time, and I think it is still in force because magic is not essential to her life/practice and could still be damaging to her health.

Just my two cents.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 22, 2008, 07:36:54 pm »

Not Moon Ivy, but given what was happening at the time she was first told not to do magic (I remember that thread and the other threads she had going at the time) I would think this particular geas was/is more protective than anything.  She was searching for a solution to her migraines on all levels, medical, spiritual, and magical.  The impression I got was that the search for magical remedies was making the problem worse.
Considering my own problems with migraines (now long-solved, thank everything I could possibly thank) it seemed like a reasonable prohibition to me at the time, and I think it is still in force because magic is not essential to her life/practice and could still be damaging to her health.
Just my two cents.
Absent

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 22, 2008, 11:07:06 pm »

Not Moon Ivy, but given what was happening at the time she was first told not to do magic (I remember that thread and the other threads she had going at the time) I would think this particular geas was/is more protective than anything. 

Yep.  What Marilyn said.  (I'm glad somebody has a decent memory, cuz I sure don't!  Cheesy )

In retrospect, I think the prohibition on magic was probably more like telling a toddler not to touch the hot stove because it will burn her hand, or something like that.  I never got the sense that it was in any way a punishment.  (I've never felt any kind of punish-y vibes from Brighid.)  But it's still a geis and it's definitely still in force.

As for you, I have a question in return. What, by your definition, is magic? In my understanding, it is impossible not to do magic. So, please, help me to understand.

I think of magic as the use, amplification, and manipulation of energy to accomplish specific tasks.  As Marilyn said, I've had a long-running and severe problem with migraines.  Playing with high levels of energy with a brain that is already challenged by the migraines could cause even more problems.  I think that's probably why Brighid said no to magic -- at least as I see it.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 22, 2008, 11:10:12 pm »

Did this come from a god? I don't worship bears any more than, say, trees. Since all of life is an expression of deity, one might say that this is so. But I feel more like this was a treaty between two sovereign nations. I don't know why I was given the geis. I imagine that I will be held to it for the rest of my life if I am beholden by geis at all. I don't know if anything would happen if I broke it, but why test it?

That's really interesting.  Is there a particular deity who placed this geis on you?  Do you have any idea why, especially since bears don't seem to have any special meaning for you?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 22, 2008, 11:12:41 pm »

Bast has been one to set limits with me, and in no uncertain terms. There are terms I am soley to use in her worship and not to be used for anyone else. But I think of this as more direction than taboo, but I guess by strict definition it could be thought of that way.

Isis also has directed me in which of her statues is to be appointed to which aspect of her and which one is to be my main focus. Again, I feel that is more direction for worship than an actual taboo.

Did Bast and Isis tell you why you are to follow these directions?  If not, are the reasons obvious, or are you left wondering why you're supposed to do things this way?  Do you think these directions will be permanent? 

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 22, 2008, 11:22:50 pm »

Yep.  What Marilyn said.  (I'm glad somebody has a decent memory, cuz I sure don't!  Cheesy )

In retrospect, I think the prohibition on magic was probably more like telling a toddler not to touch the hot stove because it will burn her hand, or something like that.  I never got the sense that it was in any way a punishment.  (I've never felt any kind of punish-y vibes from Brighid.)  But it's still a geis and it's definitely still in force.

Kind of under Doctor's orders then.  A good thing to follow.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: November 22, 2008, 11:36:14 pm »

Kind of under Doctor's orders then.  A good thing to follow.

Yep.  I hadn't thought about it that way, but yeah.   Cheesy

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 22, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »

Did Bast and Isis tell you why you are to follow these directions?  If not, are the reasons obvious, or are you left wondering why you're supposed to do things this way?  Do you think these directions will be permanent? 

With Bast the reasoning was all pretty clear. She was commanding more respect and yes I believe the directions are in place for good.

It was a little confusing with Isis at first. Mainly because one aspect seemed to go against tradition. But like the big dummy that I am, I missed the obvious with her. It was a very personal message she was sending to me and I was so busy looking into her Myths and Traditions and the accepted "rules" for worship that her simple and direct message was overlooked!  Talk about overcomplicating things.  Roll Eyes

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: November 23, 2008, 12:45:02 am »

With Bast the reasoning was all pretty clear. She was commanding more respect and yes I believe the directions are in place for good.

Why do you think the directions are for good?  I'm asking because I also think mine are for good, but I can't explain why I think that.

It was a very personal message she was sending to me and I was so busy looking into her Myths and Traditions and the accepted "rules" for worship that her simple and direct message was overlooked!  Talk about overcomplicating things.  Roll Eyes

I think that's easy to do.  I know I'm always second guessing myself.  Was that *really* a message from Brighid?  Am I *really* interpreting it correctly?  Etc.  Throw in 8 shelves of related books, and it can get confusing.  Shocked

Seleighe_sidhe
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 24, 2008, 07:10:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 23, 2008, 07:08:58 am »

That's really interesting.  Is there a particular deity who placed this geis on you?  Do you have any idea why, especially since bears don't seem to have any special meaning for you?

My practice is more on the pantheistic than the polytheistic side of things. While the prohibition may, indeed, have come from a particular god/dess I am not aware of any speaking directly to me. I have a great reverence for Nature, and the bear could have been acting as Her voice.

I wouldn't say that bears hold no special meaning for me. They are one of my power animals. I have had numerous bizarre encounters with them. I once thought, I'm now examining this more closely, that my healing practices were bear magic.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:13:17 am by Seleighe_sidhe » Logged

Travel light,
live light,
spread the light,
be the light.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 23, 2008, 09:57:45 am »

Why do you think the directions are for good?  I'm asking because I also think mine are for good, but I can't explain why I think that.

Yes, they are for good, if I choose them to be. I believe I was given the directions for my own good (kind of like you) but for spiritual growth not for physical healing (as in your case.)  So, if I follow these directions I will have a better connection to her and a better understanding of her. Sure I can break the "rules" but I will only be hurting myself in the long run.

You might believe your taboo is forever because you feel better now by following the directions. By not practicing magic you are letting energy flow as it needs to for your own well-being.
I wonder though if maybe it wasn't practicing magic itself that was draining you, but how you were practicing it. Perhaps, little by little she may lift the Geasa as you are show new healthier and less energy draining ways of practicing your craft.

(Ah, I think I feel a spin-off thread forming in my head)

I think that's easy to do.  I know I'm always second guessing myself.  Was that *really* a message from Brighid?  Am I *really* interpreting it correctly?  Etc.  Throw in 8 shelves of related books, and it can get confusing.  Shocked

Oh yeah, that is me for sure! And those 8 book shelves are double stacked with books right?  Cheesy

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 23, 2008, 05:52:58 pm »

I wonder though if maybe it wasn't practicing magic itself that was draining you, but how you were practicing it. Perhaps, little by little she may lift the Geasa as you are show new healthier and less energy draining ways of practicing your craft.

Maybe.  But probably not.

Since I've stopped attempting any magic, I've pretty much stopped believing that magic works.  So I don't think it's likely that I'll be finding any new ways of doing it.   Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)