The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:44:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:44:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Will there be a Cauldron Technopagan Winter Solstice 2008?  (Read 10862 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 21, 2008, 04:53:39 pm »

Last year, a gaggle of us who pass the longest night of the year by staying awake from dusk till dawn kept in touch via the Cauldron, posting our experiences, thoughts, etc., and generally helping to keep each other awake! (And even folks who didn't do the all-nighter popped in from time to time).

With the winter solstice only a month away (for those of us in the N hemisphere), it's time to ask: Who's up for it this year? (Count me in)

And does anybody have any thoughts on any new twists?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:37:29 pm by RandallS » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 21, 2008, 05:42:18 pm »

Last year, a gaggle of us who pass the longest night of the year by staying awake from dusk till dawn kept in touch via the Cauldron, posting our experiences, thoughts, etc., and generally helping to keep each other awake! (And even folks who didn't do the all-nighter popped in from time to time).

I think this is a great idea. If y'all get this organized by Dec 10th or so, I can plug it in the December newsletter as well as on the main web site.

I'll be honest, I don't remember last year's at all, but I was so wrapped up in Lyric's tongue surgery then that I don't remember much of the last two weeks of December 2007. :/

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 21, 2008, 07:35:42 pm »

I think this is a great idea. If y'all get this organized by Dec 10th or so, I can plug it in the December newsletter as well as on the main web site.

Excellent!

The first decision we have to make is which night to do this. This year the solstice occurs on Sunday, December 21, at 12:04 PM Universal (Greenwich Mean) Time, which puts it at 7:04 AM Eastern Time--just before Sunday sunrise here in NYC. That works for many of us North American east coasters, but it may be a bit astronomically inconvenient for those further south and/or west if we do this overnight Saturday/Sunday, since it may put the actual moment of solstice after Sunday morning's sunrise.

Nonetheless, I lean towards overnight Sat/Sun, since it will give us all Sunday to sleep it off, without impinging on Monday for those who have to work.

What do the rest of you think? (That's assuming there's more of us than just me interested in this; if so, chime in)

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 21, 2008, 08:25:30 pm »

Excellent!
The first decision we have to make is which night to do this. This year the solstice occurs on Sunday, December 21, at 12:04 PM Universal (Greenwich Mean) Time, which puts it at 7:04 AM Eastern Time--just before Sunday sunrise here in NYC. That works for many of us North American east coasters, but it may be a bit astronomically inconvenient for those further south and/or west if we do this overnight Saturday/Sunday, since it may put the actual moment of solstice after Sunday morning's sunrise.
Nonetheless, I lean towards overnight Sat/Sun, since it will give us all Sunday to sleep it off, without impinging on Monday for those who have to work.
What do the rest of you think? (That's assuming there's more of us than just me interested in this; if so, chime in)

I think I remember last years, I don't know that I participate much though. I'm in Eastern time too so Sat. -Sun. is fine by me.  Winter Solstice is a big family deal with me, we tend a fire in the fireplace all night. I can pop in from time to time depending on my fire tending duties.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 21, 2008, 10:58:49 pm »

I'm up for it. I'll be out of school by then so I won't have to worry about getting up.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 18, 2020, 05:04:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 22, 2008, 01:10:05 am »

Excellent!

I'm in the Mountain zone, so, yeah, moment-of-solstice will be after sunrise for me, but that doesn't bother me any.  I'm used to planning things for overall convenience, with astronomical precision being a relatively low priority.  Overnight Sat/Sun is perfect for me, since my current schedule habits include all-night phone convos with JFP on weekend nights, and I often stay up on Sundays until early evening to do a schedule turnaround (all the more important in the winter months, when a strictly "vampire schedule" may not give me enough sunlight time).  Depending how JFP feels about it, I might be a "twofer" this year Cheesy.

I think getting it set up and planned this much ahead of time is a great idea.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 22, 2008, 10:58:06 am »

I'm in the Mountain zone, so, yeah, moment-of-solstice will be after sunrise for me, but that doesn't bother me any.  I'm used to planning things for overall convenience, with astronomical precision being a relatively low priority.  Overnight Sat/Sun is perfect for me, since my current schedule habits include all-night phone convos with JFP on weekend nights, and I often stay up on Sundays until early evening to do a schedule turnaround (all the more important in the winter months, when a strictly "vampire schedule" may not give me enough sunlight time).  Depending how JFP feels about it, I might be a "twofer" this year Cheesy.
I think getting it set up and planned this much ahead of time is a great idea.
Sunflower

Pardon my ignorance but what is JFP?
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 22, 2008, 11:14:44 am »

The first decision we have to make is which night to do this.

I'm less concerned with whether the solstice falls before or after sunrise as I am with celebrating on the actual longest night.  Making it through the longest night of the year is what I like to celebrate.   Smiley  But I think your Sat/Sun idea is best, for work purposes and celebration purposes.  There's more stuff going on on a Saturday night to occupy my time vs. a Sunday night.  And I'm more likely to get people to join me on a Saturday.

That said, I don't know whether I'll be able to stay up the whole night, but I'll participate as much as I can.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 22, 2008, 11:30:56 am »

I'm less concerned with whether the solstice falls before or after sunrise as I am with celebrating on the actual longest night. 

I'm with you on that (though obviously the two concepts are connected). I'm pretty sure that Sat/Sun night will be fractionally longer than Sun/Mon night, since Sat/Sun night is closer to the solstice, the actual moment when the length of days bottoms out.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: November 22, 2008, 03:24:14 pm »

With the winter solstice only a month away (for those of us in the N hemisphere), it's time to ask: Who's up for it this year? (Count me in)

And does anybody have any thoughts on any new twists?

I really like this idea - but due to the time zone-stuff I couldn't really stay awake the night with you guys, because well, it wouldn't be night here  Grin

But still a lovely idea.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 22, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »

(And even folks who didn't do the all-nighter popped in from time to time).

That will likely be as much as I can muster.  I might just go to bed early and get up to watch the sun rise on Sunday.  Oh, and peek in here to search for survivors.  Wink

Brina
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: November 22, 2008, 10:22:50 pm »

What do the rest of you think?

I'm in.  I can do whichever schedule everyone else likes best. 

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 23, 2008, 12:00:13 am »

I really like this idea - but due to the time zone-stuff I couldn't really stay awake the night with you guys

Not so, Tana! Part of the fun is watching the march of darkness across the Northern Hemisphere; so you would be our vanguard, kicking things off earlier than the rest and giving us a taste of what's in store. So please do consider joining in.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: November 23, 2008, 05:19:58 am »

Not so, Tana! Part of the fun is watching the march of darkness across the Northern Hemisphere; so you would be our vanguard, kicking things off earlier than the rest and giving us a taste of what's in store. So please do consider joining in.

So in that case, and we're talking about Sat.-Sun. Night, right?
I'm in!  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 18, 2020, 05:04:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 23, 2008, 10:43:35 am »

Pardon my ignorance but what is JFP?
My LD sweetie (as per these threads).

He's quite looking forward to participating in this, and he and I both hope it'll provide the impetus for him to stop just lurking/procrastinating and join TC - if he succeeds in attaining full membership by Solstice, he'll do his own posting to the thread; if not, I'll be passing along his thoughts on the experience in my own posts (unless people object to an "outside" participant - I'm not expecting that, since this isn't an area that only full members can read, but it's politer to ask than to assume).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)