The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 04:00:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 04:00:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic and Power/Self-Empowerment?  (Read 8377 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 22, 2008, 04:02:19 am »

Not necessarily an 101 topic, but I posted it here to get the opinions of newbies, too:

How do you view the aspect of power in magic generally?

Does practicing magic give you a feeling of being powerful? If so, what kind of power would that be?

Do you think some people are drawn to magic for some kind of power? What do you think about this?

How do you see the relationship between power in magic and power in everyday life (work, family, etc.)/society?

Do you think magic can be a way for people who feel powerless or repressed in their everyday lives/society to empower themselves in a positive way?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:52:46 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject made a question/minor formatting corrections » Logged

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 22, 2008, 10:29:19 am »

Not necessarily an 101 topic, but I posted it here to get the opinions of newbies, too:

I view Magic as an energy connection to the Devine. Magic does not come from within an individual, it is not something a person manufactures or creates, it already is. You do not have to be a Witch or Pagan to gain a connection. Christians, Muslims, Scientologists and even Atheists have access to it. Magic is only one method of connection, prayer, positive thinking, and meditation all work. Practicing Magic is the way I get connection, but people use whatever means works for them, no way is right or wrong, only what works for the individual.

Does practicing magic give you a feeling of being powerful? If so, what kind of power would that be?

In all honesty, sometimes yes. But I try to remind myself that it is not ME doing anything. Over the years I have managed to fine tune my connection to the Divine, so I don't always have to work that hard at certain outcomes. I try not to get vain about it because when I do I am usually put back in my place rather quickly by the powers that be. But I am very experienced at magic and I think that does deserve a little respect, like age.

As you go through life you learn things, both magical lessons and life lessons. These experiences vary of course from person to person but you end up having experience to offer none the less. Hence when my teenagers pull some bull about me not knowing anything about life, it usually ends up mom was right after all. Same with when some know-it-all newbie witch comes along with a "you're doing it wrong"  or "I'm more powerful than you" attitude, well the old witch in the woods is usually is right after all.  Grin

This isn't to say that I haven't learned things from my kids or newbies though.

Do you think some people are drawn to magic for some kind of power? What do you think about this?

Oh sure some are. There are some traditions that stress that. It depends on what your individual goals are for practicing magic. No one is going to Hell for practicing magic for self gain, just like no one is going to Hell for backstabbing that co-worker to get a promotion.

Personally, I think you can have more power over people and situations non-magically than magically though. Think of all the people in your life who have power over you; bosses, teachers, parents, landlords, lawmakers, and on and on.  They don't have power over you magically, but their decisions can affect you greatly.

Sometimes your will conflicts with the Divine order and you don't get what you want magically or other wise. Weather you call that unanswered prayer or a spell that didn't work, your will has limits.

How do you see the relationship between power in magic and power in everyday life (work, family, etc.)/society?

Magic is such a part of me I can't separate it from the rest of my life. It is just another of my senses. It is a tool as my hands are a tool. I don't consciously think about brushing that hair out of my eyes, but my hand does it anyway. That is how magic often is for me. I don't ask myself who is calling on the phone but I know who it is and what they want.

Do you think magic can be a way for people who feel powerless or repressed in their everyday lives/society to empower themselves in a positive way?

Yes. No doubt about it.  It's the same reason Christians, Muslims or Hindus or anyone else may pray to their Gods for help in enduring bad situations.  Ultimately however, when it comes to day to day normal living, YOU are responsible for your life and your own well being. A voice told me that years ago when I felt swallowed up by life. It was a smack in the face and really scary to realize that I and I alone was responsible for my life.  It meant that I was going to have to get off my butt, stop making excuses, stop blaming the actions of others, stand up to others and make major changes in my life. It didn't happen over night but I did it (with a little magical guidance  Smiley ).

Thanks Passionfruit for posting this great topic!

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 23, 2008, 10:34:32 am »

Power is what I access when I do magic;  I raise my own power, I tune into the world's power, I sometimes ask for assistance, and then I release my intention on that energy wave. That's it, in a nutshell.

raising and releasing a lot of energy is a very powerful feeling. But as NL noted, it's not about me, except in my ability and skill at accessing that energy, which varies, depending on what I'm trying to do. But it doesn't make me special or give me more power than anyone else. We all have it, it's universal.

yeah, for sure, plus it's a lot of fun. I think people just are where ever they are, in terms of how they want to use the energy. Some people go through an ooky-spooky "I'm a Powerful Witch, Don't Mess With Me" stage; most people I have know seem to grow out of that, though. Or they stop doing magic, b/c it's pretty hard to keep up a persona that requires such a high energy output.

Like N-L said (again...gmta, dear Wink) it's just part of who I am. If someone in my house is sick I magick up soup or tea; I send healings very often. I visit my friends in astral sometimes. All that stuff is very low level, everyday, kitchen witch stuff. That's 90% of what I do. Housewife magic.

I think any kind of spiritual path can do this. It's that desire to be more than you are and connect with the Divine, both within and without you, that matters. How you perceive that, or express it doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:37:06 am by rose » Logged

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 23, 2008, 11:54:28 am »

Like N-L said (again...gmta, dear Wink) it's just part of who I am. If someone in my house is sick I magick up soup or tea; I send healings very often. I visit my friends in astral sometimes. All that stuff is very low level, everyday, kitchen witch stuff. That's 90% of what I do. Housewife magic.

Yep indeed.  Cheesy
Funny you should call it Housewife magic. The best Tarot deck I ever got for my own readings was a novelty deck The Housewive's Tarot. Worked like a dream for me!
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 23, 2008, 03:46:25 pm »

Yep indeed.  Cheesy
Funny you should call it Housewife magic. The best Tarot deck I ever got for my own readings was a novelty deck The Housewive's Tarot. Worked like a dream for me!

yeah, i saw that one here on TC, and was just thinking about it yesterday. Maybe Santa will put it in my stocking.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 23, 2008, 07:58:31 pm »

Magic is a power, but not a power that is in the hands of a few. Magic can be practiced by anyone who wishes to practice it, and there are many different ways to practice it.

Yes, I suppose in a way it does. But I do not practice magic in order to make myself more powerful or to have power over others. I do not seek power when I practice magic. Rather I seek to aid in bringing about the desired outcome of a situation. It is a manipulation of energy, but I do not believe this manipulation is one that bestows power (in the form of authority) onto the practitioner.

Oh definitely. And IMO if a person is only drawn to magic because they want to feel powerful then they are knocking on the wrong door. There is nothing wrong with using magic for personal gain, but if a person only wanted to practice magic to feel powerful then I think it is probable that their personal gain will be tailored to include someone else's loss. And considering I believe in karma, I would never recommend using magic this way. But people can do what they want; it's just that I can't see myself working that way.

Hmm...are you asking whether or not being powerful in magic directly correlates to having power in your everyday life? For instance; if you are a powerful witch, you are/are not likely to hold a position of power in the workplace? Because if that is what you're asking...then I don't think there is a link. Power in the workplace (or at home) is based on hierarchy, whereas power in magic is based on how strong your abilities are. For instance, my thesauraus gives two different synonyms for the word 'power'. One is 'authority'- this is what power is in the workplace or home. Another synonym is 'ability'- this is what power is in magic. Do I make any sense?  Tongue

Yes, I think magic can help them. If I felt that way, I would use magic to help increase my self confidence. This would be magic helping to empower me in a positive way. A negative way, IMO, would be someone using magic as a form of revenge on those who they feel have repressed them in society. Magic can be used both positively and negatively, and it all depends on the practitioner's intent.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 24, 2008, 09:51:57 am »

Yes, I think magic can help them. If I felt that way, I would use magic to help increase my self confidence. This would be magic helping to empower me in a positive way.

Yep, this just about the only reason I do magic that is not directly related to my home or someone I care about; for self-empowerment and growth, breaking through internal obstacles and setting up the inner matrices that draw what I really want and need towards me. Reclaiming-style magic is very heavily geared towards this (although that could mainly be due to the fact that many of the elders in the tradition are also therapists).

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

joybishoptx
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 24, 2008, 08:30:55 pm

Religion: eclectic wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 24, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »

Interesting questions. Honestly, I think it all depends on how you define magic. Honestly, I feel a little silly if I say "I'm doing magic." I just don't see it that way. I see it as focusing my personal power, divine power and the power of the earth to help control situations (I sound like Scott Cunningham). I don't think it matters what you call it, if you (anyone) can find something that connects their faith to something sound and uplifting, I don't think you can go wrong.

Joy
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 24, 2008, 11:41:29 pm »

Interesting questions. Honestly, I think it all depends on how you define magic. Honestly, I feel a little silly if I say "I'm doing magic." I just don't see it that way. I see it as focusing my personal power, divine power and the power of the earth to help control situations (I sound like Scott Cunningham). I don't think it matters what you call it, if you (anyone) can find something that connects their faith to something sound and uplifting, I don't think you can go wrong.

i agree it doesn't matter what you call it, so why is it a problem if you call it magic? If you "feel a little silly" about saying you do magic, but you identify as a wiccan, how does that work for you? How is focusing your personal power, divine power and the power of the earth to help control situations not magic?  Or different from magic? Just asking Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

oonagh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 13, 2009, 12:57:53 pm

Religion: pantheist

be yourself. everyone else is taken.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 26, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »

Power is energy. Magic is the manipulation of energy

I don't practice magic

I think that people who don't understand the nature of power and magic are drawn to magic for the power.  I think that these people have a little bit to learn, but everyone starts someplace

Again, power is simply energy. I don't try to manipulate energy, but I do appreciate it every day

Yes and no. People who feel powerless often feel that way due to low self-esteem. Trying to manipulate energy in order to make themselves feel better is just putting a band-aid on the problem
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:57:41 pm by oonagh sidhe, Reason: didn\'t like the format in which i answered this so i changed it » Logged

blessed be,
oonagh
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 01, 2008, 01:00:51 am »

Hmm...are you asking whether or not being powerful in magic directly correlates to having power in your everyday life? For instance; if you are a powerful witch, you are/are not likely to hold a position of power in the workplace? Because if that is what you're asking...then I don't think there is a link. Power in the workplace (or at home) is based on hierarchy, whereas power in magic is based on how strong your abilities are. For instance, my thesauraus gives two different synonyms for the word 'power'. One is 'authority'- this is what power is in the workplace or home. Another synonym is 'ability'- this is what power is in magic. Do I make any sense?
Yes and thanks everyone for all the interesting answers. I've been reading, but was too busy to respond.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 03, 2008, 12:15:39 pm »

How do I view the aspect of magic generally?I feel that in many cases, along with psychotherapy, can be a beautiful tool of healing, or a very destructive one if one is not healthy in mind and spirit.Magic used to give me a feeling of power,but in destructive ways.I have learned many lessons-the hard way.I am now more humble in my magical practices I use it for more positive things and don,t have that "drained" feeling.

I do think that many people are drawn to magic for some kind of power,especially people with heavy Pluto transits hitting their personal planets or they have natal Pluto aspecting their personal (inner) planets.Sometimes there is an ecsessive need for power especially when they have grown up in a very oppressive family or situation.Yes, these people can empower themselves in many beautiful ways with magic and also as I have mentioned psychotherapy,not to mention the numerous amount of books out their and teachers to keep your mind focused and positive.

My cats are my kids.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: December 03, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »

I do think that many people are drawn to magic for some kind of power,especially people with heavy Pluto transits hitting their personal planets or they have natal Pluto aspecting their personal (inner) planets.

Is there a reason you think Pluto is particularly to blame?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 03, 2008, 01:10:52 pm »

Is there a reason you think Pluto is particularly to blame?

Pluto is a very powerful planet and it's aspects and transits can make some very powerful people,it rules the underworld and death and destruction.It need not be a negative thing though,because after the destruction comes transformation.It's like a growing boil or cyst,it keeps growing and growing until it bursts it hurts for a while then it begins to heal.Pluto is a "power hungy" planet and makes "power hungry" people.Of course they are naturally drawn to magic for power reasons.

My cats are my kids.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: December 03, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »

Pluto is a very powerful planet and it's aspects and transits can make some very powerful people,it rules the underworld and death and destruction.It need not be a negative thing though,because after the destruction comes transformation.It's like a growing boil or cyst,it keeps growing and growing until it bursts it hurts for a while then it begins to heal.Pluto is a "power hungy" planet and makes "power hungry" people.Of course they are naturally drawn to magic for power reasons.

Do you have a source for any of this, or is it just your own personal school of astrology?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.