The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2022, 11:56:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2022, 11:56:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of incense or oils should I use for allergies?  (Read 7461 times)
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 26, 2008, 03:04:51 pm »

My good friend is coming to visit for Christmas.  The problem is that she's allergic to cats!  I'm going to keep our kitty quarantined in the mudroom while she's here, and I'm going to do a thorough cleaning, vacuum with a new bag, change the furnace filter, dust, etc.  I was wondering if there were certain oils, herbs, or incense I could use that might help keep her from feeling lousy just in case I miss some kitty dust?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: November 26, 2008, 03:09:04 pm »

My good friend is coming to visit for Christmas.  The problem is that she's allergic to cats!  I'm going to keep our kitty quarantined in the mudroom while she's here, and I'm going to do a thorough cleaning, vacuum with a new bag, change the furnace filter, dust, etc.  I was wondering if there were certain oils, herbs, or incense I could use that might help keep her from feeling lousy just in case I miss some kitty dust?

Not herbs or oil, but:  what we do to filter the air in our two-cat house for the comfort of our cat-allergic friends is to duct tape a furnace filter to a standard box fan and turn it on full blast for a while.  (My mom's allergist recommended this to her as a cheaper alternative to buying an expensive air filter.)  Said cat-allergic friends report that they are almost never bothered by kitty residue in our house, so it seems to be doing some good.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 26, 2008, 10:08:50 pm »

Probably none until you find out if she has other allergies as well. I have heard that burning a salt candle or lamp can purify the air although I have never tried it.

http://bestsaltlamp.com/nasala.html
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 30, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »

It'd depend a whole lot on whether she has other allergies - but one I'd consider (ask her first!) are things that help encourage good breathing/open airways/etc. Rosemary and thyme and peppermint often help, but they can have other effects that might not be ideal (for example, many people find both rosemary and mint stimulating, so they might not be good choices for where people are sleeping.)

I second the advice on filtering - one other option is that room air filters (you want something that's HEPA compliant - has to do with the filtration size) are  not terribly expensive (like $30-40 for one suitable for a bedroom). They help a lot.

Be aware that cat dander gets into the air - leave plenty of time *after* dusting/sweeping/etc. before you put clean sheets on her bed, so that it's all out of the air. (at least several hours, if not a whole day. Dander is small and takes time to settle). Focus on where she'll be sleeping (since we spend a third of our time asleep, roughly) plus giving her somewhere without cat dander to sit (i.e. maybe put a clean sheet/blanket/etc. over a section of the sofa she's sitting on - hard chairs are much less of an issue because they can be wiped down, but most soft furniture will accumulate some level of dander you're just not going to get out without serious work, if at all.)

Also, she should be considering what she can do. I'm all about being considerate of guests - but I also just came back from a visit to college friends that included various homes with cats (I have one, but I tend to react slightly more to other people's) and to a house with a large dog (and I'm much more allergic to dogs than cats.) I figure it's my job to be clear about the allergy and what people can do for it (which I basically consider providing fresh undoggy sheets if that's relevant), but also to make sure I have appropriate medication.

I don't normally take regular allergy meds (I take over the counter loratadine - the Claritin generic - as needed), but in this case, because I knew that I'd be in different houses with different kinds of allergens, I started taking it daily a day or two before I left on the trip. I went into it with a cold and a nasty cough, but my allergies were actually pretty minimal - a tiny bit of sniffling, but not even sneezing, never mind asthma issues.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
folksymama
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 01, 2008, 12:03:40 pm »

Thank you!  Peppermint was one I had thought of.  I don't actually know if she will be sleeping here, more than likely just visiting for a few hours.  She has told me that last Christmas she was at a cat-friendly home and had an asthma attack from just being there an hour.

We have a leather sofa, so I think I'll just wipe it down, and I did think I should probably vacuum the day before.

And I have told her that she needs to be taking her meds!!! She saw a naturopath who gave her some drops to take before she gets here that are supposed to really help, but she keeps "forgetting" to take them.   Roll Eyes
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 01, 2008, 09:59:21 pm »

Peppermint and Eucalyptus. In an oil diffuser. When I work at the animal sanctuary I put a bit of vaseline underneath my nostrils, as it stops the cat hair from getting up my nose. Sometimes I put one or two drops of lavender into the vaseline before I apply it, and I find that this works a treat. Plus, it smells better than the litter boxes I'm cleaning!  Cheesy

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: December 02, 2008, 05:09:10 am »

Peppermint and Eucalyptus.

...But, again, make sure of no other allergies or sensitivities first.  My mother, for example, has a sensitivity to strong scents and particularly to eucalyptus.  They make it difficult for her to breathe.  Not to the point of being fatal or anything, but still not very fun.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
folksymama
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 02, 2008, 07:35:21 am »

...But, again, make sure of no other allergies or sensitivities first.  My mother, for example, has a sensitivity to strong scents and particularly to eucalyptus.  They make it difficult for her to breathe.  Not to the point of being fatal or anything, but still not very fun.
I'm almost positive she doesn't have issue with peppermint, eucalyptus or lavendar.  She uses the neti stik and I think those are the oils in that.  I will check to make sure, though.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)