The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 04, 2021, 08:18:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 04, 2021, 08:18:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How much will you spend, exclusive of travel costs, on gifts, etc?  (Voting closed: December 28, 2008, 06:49:49 pm)
Less than $50 - 1 (3.7%)
$51 to $100 - 7 (25.9%)
$101 to $200 - 4 (14.8%)
$201 to $500 - 8 (29.6%)
more than $500 - 7 (25.9%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Annual What Will You Spend on Winter Holiday  (Read 9370 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 28, 2008, 06:49:49 pm »

Poll says it mostly.  For consideration, for high or low spenders especially, how many people are you buying for? How much of it is for stuff for you?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 28, 2008, 07:23:15 pm »

Poll says it mostly.  For consideration, for high or low spenders especially, how many people are you buying for? How much of it is for stuff for you?

I picked between $101-200.  Mostly for Annabelle, but a few things for other family members. (read: baby pictures and some painting supplies).
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 28, 2008, 08:20:42 pm »

Over $500, but 4/5 of that amount is season passes to the "local" theme park. Our girls have all said they'll be happy with just those, since that means at least one trip a month between May and October. The passes pay for themselves after two visits. :-)

The rest is little bits and pieces here and there that will add up to the balance.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 28, 2008, 08:48:27 pm »

Between $101 and $200 here. 5 nieces and nephews, plus my own two college aged kids. Santa is skinny at my house this year.  Sad

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 28, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »

I picked $51- $100, but it will be at the higher end of this scale. This includes my husband, my dog, my mum, my sister, and my grandad. Those are the only people I am buying for (and the only people who I will receive gifts from...not to be presumptuous of course!)

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 28, 2008, 09:47:46 pm »

$200 to $500 probably. Kiddo wants an iPod Classic, that's the big item. 

She bought some clothes, so I think I'll be have to repay her for them. That's not so much a Chanukah present as a routine item that happened to occur during the sales period.

I also bought a digital camera (Pentax 10, about $100). Part present for myself, part to stop borrowing soon-to-be ex-wife's.

This is an expensive year.
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 28, 2008, 09:51:54 pm »

I picked 500+.  We have four kids to buy for, plus each other, plus a lot of extended family (four brothers and 2 nephews on my side, a sister and one nephew on his, and our parents).  We always budget $1000 for Christmas, and save up for it throughout the year, so it's not a huge amount coming out all at once. 
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 28, 2008, 10:29:30 pm »

We'll probably hit the $51-$100 range. I bake all our Christmas gifts, so it's a little hard to figure since we get stuff a couple of months in advance, but that should generally cover the majority of the costs.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 29, 2008, 12:22:25 am »

$201-500. I spent an obscene amount on yarn since I'm crocheting all of my gifts for my family and friends (8 projects, including 2 blankets).

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: November 29, 2008, 07:35:44 am »

I haven't got any good idea yet.  I'm suspecting somewhere between $200 and $500, probably on the high side of that, but I haven't sat down and really made a list yet.  We're buying for...

Our daughter (though she's still a little on the young side to "get it" this year, so we may still go a little light)
My parents, brother and SIL-to-be
My MIL, BIL, and nephew
Two sets of name-drawing gifts ($10 and $15 limit)
One set of gifts for a swap (I think the limit here is $20, but I'm going to try for cheaper)
Possibly up to three grandparents, if we can find the right gifts (probably my mom's parents will get a joint gift)
Several friends
And each other, of course

Hubby likes to be generous...  sometimes more generous than I think he needs to be, especially with that list of people to buy for.  Every year I have to talk him down from expensive gifts for me and friends.  (This year he was thinking of getting me either a Kindle or a new camera lens--both of which I would have loved, but YEESH the money.  And I thought I was hitting the high end wanting to spend $70 on him!)

Unfortunately, I'm not very crafty, and while Hubby could bake bread for some of the people on the list, it's not going to work out for many of them.  So we'll wind up buying most of those...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 29, 2008, 08:14:30 am »

Over $500 unfortunately. Both children have birthdays at this time of the year as does my mother and so do I. The children are of an age where they would rather have a larger "joint" present which they really want rather than 2 cheaper compromise presents. I'm happy with this. Too much unwanted tat is produced for sale at this time of year.

I'm  hosting the seasonal meal  for the 4 of us and both sets of parents as well as the New Years' Eve celebration ( my birthday!) so that adds quite a lot to the cost.

I'll do well in the charity shops afterwards though - lots of lovely candles for next to nothing. I can generally stock up  for most of the year on scented candles, candle holders and incense sticks.

This time of the year is always expensive for us but at least I get it all over and done with in December. I'm off the hook for most birthday presents then for the rest of the year.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 29, 2008, 08:28:56 am »

Over $500 unfortunately. Both children have birthdays at this time of the year as does my mother and so do I. The children are of an age where they would rather have a larger "joint" present which they really want rather than 2 cheaper compromise presents. I'm happy with this. Too much unwanted tat is produced for sale at this time of year.

I'm  hosting the seasonal meal  for the 4 of us and both sets of parents as well as the New Years' Eve celebration ( my birthday!) so that adds quite a lot to the cost.

(snip)

This time of the year is always expensive for us but at least I get it all over and done with in December. I'm off the hook for most birthday presents then for the rest of the year.

With the all the birthdays at one time plus hosting the parties, you really aren't doing all that bad. Next year, the poll will include how much do you spend during the rest of the year; that should make your numbers look a lot better.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 29, 2008, 08:45:29 am »

I said 50-100 .. it might be slightly more, I'm not sure.  But mostly it's even THAT high because we bought our son a big-ticket item - a seriously huge set of toy railroad stuff.  Other than that he's not getting much at all.

And there were a few small things for his cousins, and stuff like that.  Small items for hubby and myself to exchange.  That's it.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 29, 2008, 03:03:18 pm »

I'm spending about $275 -- but 200 of that is for my train ticket home. Everyone's getting remaindered books from the university store  Tongue
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 29, 2008, 06:00:30 pm »

Probably around $400-450.  I have Tim, my parents, my sister and her husband, their two little girls, Tim's parents, my grandparents, the two cousins I got in our annual family drawings (both sides are huge, so we always draw names), my best friend, and my dissertation director.  The latter two are getting baked goods, because they both have sweet tooths (teeth?) and neither can cook.  Cheesy   

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.