The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 02:06:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 02:06:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How much will you spend, exclusive of travel costs, on gifts, etc?  (Voting closed: December 28, 2008, 06:49:49 pm)
Less than $50 - 1 (3.7%)
$51 to $100 - 7 (25.9%)
$101 to $200 - 4 (14.8%)
$201 to $500 - 8 (29.6%)
more than $500 - 7 (25.9%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Annual What Will You Spend on Winter Holiday  (Read 9371 times)
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 29, 2008, 07:34:04 pm »

Poll says it mostly.  For consideration, for high or low spenders especially, how many people are you buying for? How much of it is for stuff for you?

I voted for more that $500, because I bought my husband a laptop. However, I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't gotten an inheritance check in October. I spent $75 on myself. Other than that, I'm not spending anymore, because he is the only person whom I buy anything for over the winter holiday.

Rigantona, Great Queen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 29, 2008, 08:15:37 pm »

Poll says it mostly.  For consideration, for high or low spenders especially, how many people are you buying for? How much of it is for stuff for you?

I picked over $500; my extended family is large, and idiotically we all buy gifts for each other. And for the immediate family members, I like to splurge. And then I always end up getting something for myself (this year: an Airport Express, so I can blast my iTunes through my stereo wirelessly...can't wait till it gets here!)

Ironically, my spending is tied to another survey you posted: about 401(k) retirement accounts. I have that money withheld from my paycheck in increments such that my contributions for the year max out by sometime in November. So my December paychecks, since the 401(k) money is no longer withheld, suddenly have a lot more cash in them--just in time for holiday spending.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 29, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »

Ironically, my spending is tied to another survey you posted: about 401(k) retirement accounts. I have that money withheld from my paycheck in increments such that my contributions for the year max out by sometime in November. So my December paychecks, since the 401(k) money is no longer withheld, suddenly have a lot more cash in them--just in time for holiday spending.

Must be nice to max out at that point.  I don't max out until December, if at all. It'll be dang close though. 
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 30, 2008, 01:39:06 am »

Immediate family. My sisters (two), my mom and my husband.  My coworkers (the senior staff) get under $10 gifts so around $40 there.  And that's about it.

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 30, 2008, 09:53:14 am »

Must be nice to max out at that point. 

The price, of course, is that my paychecks for the rest of the year are a bit smaller. Effectively it's like those Holiday Savings Clubs banks used to offer, I guess.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 30, 2008, 10:19:22 am »

I picked $51-100 - thank the gods for paperback books, and a family of readers, though with two additions to this year's list (SIL, JFP) I might break three figures depending what I find.  I have Mom & Dad; My Brother the Theologian; My Brother the Engineer and his wife; my sister, her hubby, and their two kids (8 and 11); and JFP to buy for.

Probably nothing for myself this year; my trip to Buffalo ate my budget.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 01, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »

Wow.  I guess I spend more than I should. Undecided  My mom always made sure we had lots of gifts for Christmas.  She tried to keep Santa going for a long time.  I also love to buy gifts and so providing lots of presents makes me happy.  This year I was able to save some money during the year so I can actually pay my bills in December AND afford Christmas. Smiley

I have my husband, myself (I buy myself gifts from Santa), my almost 15yo daughter and my 12 yo son.  I will spend $1,500.00-$2,000.00 on our presents.  These include family gifts like a new monitor and printer for our computer and also clothes.  I'll buy underwear and socks for everyone, maybe boots, gloves, etc for the kids if they need them.  This year they will each get a new pillow and maybe sheets and comforters for the beds.  The stockings will have one or two special gifts in them and also include a new toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, hair styling gels or sprays, brushes and other toiletry items.  On Christmas Eve, everyone opens a present-it's always pajamas and/or bathrobes so everyone looks good for Christmas morning photos. 

I make lists so that I spend evenly on each child and make sure that they also have equal amounts of presents to open.  I'm slightly anal that way.  Last year, they each had about 16 presents under the tree, The year before, each had 21-22.  This year will be less because they both want electronics.  Probably about 10 items each.

My mom gave me $150.00 to spend on presents from her.  I will spend it all on the kids.  She usually has a small ($20.00-25.00) "handing" gift for the kids when we get to my family's celebration.  This year she has decided to use the money to sponsor a child from Haiti.  My niece's father is from there and they have had a bad year.  Since I overspend on them anyway, it will be a good thing. Cheesy 

My in-laws also gave us $150.00 to spend on presents for the kids.  My husband is in charge of those presents.  Plus he tries to buy each of the kids something special just from him.

I also will probably spend $100.00-200.00 on presents for my mom, my father-and mother-in-law, my two nieces, my step grand kids (12 yo granddaughter and 1-yo grandson), my supervisor and an exchange gift for work.  My brother and sister and my brothers-and-sisters-in law along don't exchange gifts.  We also don't exchange with my neices and nephews on my husbands side of the family.  We will also buy some presents for the two dogs and two cats-new beds, collars, treats, and/or toys.   

I always hope I'll win the lottery before Christmas because I love to buy presents.  I also enjoy making presents but I just never seem to have much time for that. 

Sorry to go on so long but I just get so excited at this time of the year. Grin

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: December 01, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »

Last year, [each child] had about 16 presents under the tree, The year before, each had 21-22.  This year will be less because they both want electronics.  Probably about 10 items each.

Adopt me? Please?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 01, 2008, 04:14:30 pm »

$51-$100 for me.  I only get presents for my parents, my sister and my grandmother and I normally give them each a $25 gift card (or in my grandmother's case, lottery tickets).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 01, 2008, 05:37:53 pm »

I picked between $101-200.  Mostly for Annabelle, but a few things for other family members. (read: baby pictures and some painting supplies).

I need to revise mine, being we spent $100 on baby pictures yesterday.  Lips sealed  So we're now in the $201-500 range. 

Yikes.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #25: December 01, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »

You don't give a $0.00 option, but I seem to be the first to have picked $0-50.  My family is all adults except for the toddler and the infant.  Since my brother's family all spent more time than they could afford up here this summer when my mom died they won't be coming for Christmas.  Even when they do, we only buy small presents for the kids and the rest of any Christmas money goes on their trip and hosting them.

We have a gathering that includes close and distant relatives and friends, a huge feast that we all make parts of, and a rotating house party that lasts 'til New Years.  My mom loved decorations and we had a tree-putting-up ritual that may or may not happen this year.  My dad's subsection of Christianity didn't make a big deal of Christmas, so it's always been secular for the rest of the family while he took his mother and my brother and one sister (the Christian members of the family) to church.

I miss the days when I was really little and Santa brought everything.  One random day in winter, as we perceived it since we weren't in school or calendar aware, we would wake up and find the house all decorated, a tree in the living-room with presents under it, and mom asleep on the couch while dad cooked bacon and eggs.

My husband would wake up to a special bowl at everyone's place at table with treats and a small present in it, and a long church service.  He's okay with our lack of gift-giving because he always gets laid off near the end of November anyway.  For us, the party's the thing.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 01, 2008, 06:59:17 pm »

II'll buy underwear and socks for everyone, maybe boots, gloves, etc for the kids if they need them.  This year they will each get a new pillow and maybe sheets and comforters for the beds.  The stockings will have one or two special gifts in them and also include a new toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, hair styling gels or sprays, brushes and other toiletry items.  On Christmas Eve, everyone opens a present-it's always pajamas and/or bathrobes so everyone looks good for Christmas morning photos. 

This sounds exactly like our gift giving!  This year the two middle kids are getting new bedding sets.  Everyone always gets new socks and underwear, and the one present that we open on Christmas eve is always pajamas.  Usually pants that I make for everyone (so we're all matchy-matchy for the pictures in the morning) and shirts from old navy.

We will keep Santa going forever here.  My dd still believes and she's 10.  He's a very real presence in our house.  My husband asked me earlier this year when we were going to tell her "the truth about Santa".  I looked at him with a very confused look and said "What do you mean the truth?"  Wink
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 01, 2008, 09:35:52 pm »

Over $500.  The laptop I plan on buying for my sister's family is almost $500.  Then I still have my parents, my other sister and her fiance.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 01, 2008, 09:46:04 pm »

Wow.  I guess I spend more than I should. Undecided  My mom always made sure we had lots of gifts for Christmas.  She tried to keep Santa going for a long time.  I also love to buy gifts and so providing lots of presents makes me happy.  This year I was able to save some money during the year so I can actually pay my bills in December AND afford Christmas. Smiley
<snip>

You sound a bit like my Mum. She loves giving presents so much, it's almost like an addiction  Cheesy

I left home last year, and Christmas was really hard for her. She said she hated not to be able to give me lots of presents (I moved countries...hell, I moved continents!) Nevertheless I received an enormous box through the mail just full of presents. Goodness knows how much it cost to have that mailed- probably more than the contents inside!

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.