The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2017, 06:36:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:36:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Retailers tiptoe between Christmas, holidays  (Read 11271 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: December 02, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »

Retailers tiptoe between Christmas, holidays

Two things stoked Erin Nash’s anger when she trolled the malls last year. First, most stores trumpeted their “holiday” sales. Second, every sales clerk robotically wished their customers “Happy holidays.” The word “Christmas,” Nash felt, had been discarded by the retailers like a wad of crumpled wrapping paper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27890640/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 02, 2008, 02:08:53 pm »

Two things stoked Erin Nash’s anger when she trolled the malls last year. First, most stores trumpeted their “holiday” sales. Second, every sales clerk robotically wished their customers “Happy holidays.” The word “Christmas,” Nash felt, had been discarded by the retailers like a wad of crumpled wrapping paper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27890640/

yes, because nothing's so religious as fighting over the last doll on the shelf.  Roll Eyes

personally, I think that as a Christian I'd PREFER that it be happy holidays - that would disassociate the stupid with my religion!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 02, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »

*looks at calender*

Yep, it's that time of year.  All this "War on Christmas" crap drives me nuts.  I think from now on, I'll say "Happy Hanukkah" to everyone who wishes me a Merry Christmas.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 02, 2008, 02:16:20 pm »

*looks at calender*

Yep, it's that time of year.  All this "War on Christmas" crap drives me nuts.  I think from now on, I'll say "Happy Hanukkah" to everyone who wishes me a Merry Christmas.

Wish them all a Happy Minion Day.  Dec. 22

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 02, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »

Unless a retailer knows what religion their customer is, they ought to say "Happy Holidays".  It seems rude to assume that everyone is Christian.  But if someone wished me a Merry Christmas, I'd be happy for the well-wishing and return the greeting.  I wouldn't feel the need to correct them.  The same goes for Hanukkah, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Satan's birthday...

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 02, 2008, 02:26:15 pm »

Unless a retailer knows what religion their customer is, they ought to say "Happy Holidays".  It seems rude to assume that everyone is Christian.  But if someone wished me a Merry Christmas, I'd be happy for the well-wishing and return the greeting.  I wouldn't feel the need to correct them.  The same goes for Hanukkah, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Satan's birthday...

That's pretty much the way Randall and I both view it. It's sort of like someone wishing me "Have a nice day."

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 02, 2008, 02:31:02 pm »

yes, because nothing's so religious as fighting over the last doll on the shelf.  Roll Eyes

Well...maybe if that person was a follower of Ares Smiley

personally, I think that as a Christian I'd PREFER that it be happy holidays - that would disassociate the stupid with my religion!

I think I would too.  Although, the Bible makes no reference as to how the Wise Men obtained the frankincense, gold and myrrh so they very well could've fought in a shop over it with someone else wanting to give it to THEIR newborn savior.

*slips into rant mode*

And then there are the Christmas/Holiday Trees and Christmas/Holiday Wreaths.  Where in the Bible does it mention gaudy decorated evergreens in the presence of Baby Jesus?  And Winter/Christmas Break for schools -- show me hard proof that Jesus was born in winter.

I personally hate this time of year partially due to this crap.  Face it, almost nothing about this time of year has to do with Jesus.  It's all about tacky decorations, terrible music and the Almighty Dollar.

</mini-rant>

My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 02, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Satan's birthday...

Anyone know when this is?  I'm not saying it's a holiday I would celebrate, just wishing someone that at this time of year sounds like fun.

My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 02, 2008, 03:31:09 pm »

I'm going to be very traditionalist on this..... I will not apologize for any offense that may be taken but.. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS NOT CHRISTIAN AND YOU SAY "MERRY CHRISTMAS" TO THEM! (yup I yelled through text)  I'm sorry you guys dont like "merry Christmas" but guess what?  CHRISTMAS is the holiday that is being celebrated! Christmas is the holiday we get out of school and such for!  Why would someone get offended if you say merry Christmas... ON CHRISTMAS! Tongue Huh
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 02, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

I'm going to be very traditionalist on this..... I will not apologize for any offense that may be taken but.. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS NOT CHRISTIAN AND YOU SAY "MERRY CHRISTMAS" TO THEM! (yup I yelled through text)  I'm sorry you guys dont like "merry Christmas" but guess what?  CHRISTMAS is the holiday that is being celebrated!

By whom?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: December 02, 2008, 03:47:25 pm »

I'm going to be very traditionalist on this..... I will not apologize for any offense that may be taken but.. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS NOT CHRISTIAN AND YOU SAY "MERRY CHRISTMAS" TO THEM! (yup I yelled through text)  I'm sorry you guys dont like "merry Christmas" but guess what?  CHRISTMAS is the holiday that is being celebrated! Christmas is the holiday we get out of school and such for!  Why would someone get offended if you say merry Christmas... ON CHRISTMAS! Tongue Huh

If it was on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, I wouldn't be offended.  But if someone said Merry Christmas to me today, three weeks before the damn holiday, I would be.  People presume that everyone in some store is shopping for Christmas when they could be buying presents for Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, a birthday, an anniversary or (if they're like me) buying something for themselves that they had their eye on for a while.

Also, this whole "War on Christmas" bullshit is mainly by fundie Christian groups like Focus on the Family who think their beliefs are the only valid ones and must impose them on everyone else.

My Spiritual Blog
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 02, 2008, 03:59:58 pm »

I wouldn't say Merry Christmas to an obviously Muslim person.  I would consider it rude.  Muslims are not allowed to celebrate other religion's holidays.  They would probably consider someone wishing them Merry Christmas to be someone who doesn't know any better, but is probably well meaning, depending on how it is said.  But I know better.

And most of this nonsense is not taking place on CHristmas anyhow.  I wouldn't be offended, but to some extent it rankles.  Happy Holidays and so on covers everyone, not just the christians.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: December 02, 2008, 04:06:56 pm »

That doesn't make it MY holiday.

And while I certainly intend to enjoy the day with my family, acting as though it should be a religious celebration for everyone IS rude.  It's not my religion.  Getting snarky about it certainly isn't going to CONVERT me!

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: December 02, 2008, 04:32:18 pm »

Personally I'm not offended. I imagine most people posting here wouldn't be offended. OTOH, I do get highly irritated with the pissy Christians who make a big deal about whether some poor clerk wishes me Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or Have a Nice Day. We're a multi-cultural and multi-religious society. I don't think it's an issue if a company takes that into consideration.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 21, 2017, 09:22:51 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: December 02, 2008, 04:34:07 pm »

I'm going to be very traditionalist on this..... I will not apologize for any offense that may be taken but.. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS NOT CHRISTIAN AND YOU SAY "MERRY CHRISTMAS" TO THEM! (yup I yelled through text) 

The problem is that there are a LARGE number of different religious holidays that fall in December. Some stores decided that having their employees wish people a generic "Happy Holidays" would be better for business than assuming everyone celebrates the same holiday. This shouldn't be a problem.  

However, some Fundie Christian TV preachers and Pundits decided that this was a "War on Christmas" and that everyone should say "Merry Christmas" because that is the only holiday that should be celebrated (in their not very humble opinions) and that saying something generic like "Happy Holidays" is an attempt to repress their religion.

This is what people are reacting to. Most non-Christians could care less if some store clerk they don't know wished them a "Merry Christmas" but the attempt by the fundies to force everyone to say "Merry Christmas" and only "Merry Christmas" is yet another attempt to shove their beliefs on everyone else.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)