The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2022, 08:27:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2022, 08:27:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a new book idea  (Read 5910 times)
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 06, 2008, 06:38:13 pm »

Would Harvesters themselves gain cult following?  How does one become a Harvester?  (do you inherit the position?  reincarnate as?)  How much do they keep their secrets?

I think there will be a bit of an adoration/revulsion mystique surrounding the Harvesters.  The more I think of it, the more I like my grim reaper brigade (which means now I have to come up with a uniform - preferably something that could be worn to Conventions Grin), and much like the Grim Reaper himself, there will be some who look at the harvesters with abject adoration (whether because they're "cool" or because the people are grateful to know they will live forever), and some who look at them with revulsion (primarily because their appearance signifies death has arrived).

Anyone can become a harvester, but the Harvesters do the recruiting, so it's not like they can just apply for the job.

I haven't decided yet how much their secrets are kept.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: December 06, 2008, 06:46:32 pm »

Anyone can become a harvester, but the Harvesters do the recruiting, so it's not like they can just apply for the job.

I haven't decided yet how much their secrets are kept.

I would think that if they do their own recruiting, there should DEFINITELY be stories about how one becomes one, etc.

Also, if they tend to keep to themselves, wild orgies.  and maybe baby eating.  People ALWAYS think the secretive *them* have wild orgies and eat babies. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 07, 2008, 03:47:28 pm »

Mahayana Buddha, spiritual leader of the surviving followers of Buddhist philosophy,

I'd recommend choosing a different name for the character, since "Mahayana" is (a) already the name of a branch of Buddhism, so it would be like someone being named Presbyterian Jones, and (b) a typical personal name from a Buddhist country might work better. BTW, what about the Dalai Lama? 

Are new babies being born?  Is there an endless supply of souls?
Babies are definitely being born (Buddhists believe that the soul enters the body at birth, so the child does not need a soul until it is born),

What are the implications of this for anti-abortion groups?

It is important to note that Buddhist Hells still have demons, but these beings are also subject to the cycle of death and rebirth.

Possible plot hook here: what if a demon soul (native to a Hell) is accidentally or deliberately incarnated on Earth?

Sounds like an interesting idea, with lots of directions to look into.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 07, 2008, 04:32:16 pm »

I'd recommend choosing a different name for the character, since "Mahayana" is (a) already the name of a branch of Buddhism, so it would be like someone being named Presbyterian Jones, and (b) a typical personal name from a Buddhist country might work better. BTW, what about the Dalai Lama? 

Like I said, the name is cheesy and certainly subject to change, but it's also far enough into the future that a name like Presbyterian Jones wouldn't necessarily be completely out of place (which is why I picked it as a placeholder).  It may end up being something like a special title, rather than a real name, but I'm still in the concept stage, so I haven't decided yet

What are the implications of this for anti-abortion groups?

Religion has been marginalized enough that anti-abortion groups may not even exist anymore.  I'm not sure exactly how they would react to this kind of world, however, because they would know full well that an aborted fetus doesn't yet have a soul.  It may be that they no longer consider it a cause worth fighting for, or they may begin fighting even harder.  I'll have to think about it some more.  Certainly there will be individuals who argue that, even though there is no soul, there is still life, and there will be others who say, "No Soul, No problem!"

Possible plot hook here: what if a demon soul (native to a Hell) is accidentally or deliberately incarnated on Earth?

Certain branches of Buddhism actually have the answer to this.  There is a tradition that the Buddha himself was in Hell in a past life (see http://tinyurl.com/ywwz6x).  A side-point of the story is that even the "denizens" of Hell can be reincarnated as humans.  Since 'm borrowing from the Buddhist Hells, anyway, I would tend to keep this same concept.  If a demon soul were incarnated on earth, it would be because Brahman (or whatever I end up calling it) has allowed the soul into this realm's soul "pool."

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: December 08, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »

I wasn't suggesting that you had taken the idea from elsewhere, I just wondered if you had seen some of the classic SF that has dealt with reincarnation so you could see how others have handled it.

Thain,

Cool story idea!  I'd definitely read it, FWIW.

I also wanted to suggest that you might want to read A Dirty Job, by Christopher Moore.  It deals with the idea of soul retrieval and soul retrievers.  Plus it's one of the funniest books I've ever read.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)