The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:48:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:48:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is the common view on Satanism?  (Read 19296 times)
tampahitman
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 04, 2009, 02:50:45 am
United States United States

Religion: None..

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 07, 2008, 04:30:46 am »

I was reading it with some lads i know, it doesnt at all seem the way people portray it to be. Doesnt seem evil all that evil. Just over indulgence maybe? We all are guilty of that, well, at least i am a bit.
I put this here because it doesnt seem in the realm of paganism, but, i have a feeling in your search through paganism this must have come up for you.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 07, 2008, 05:24:41 am »

I was reading it with some lads i know, it doesnt at all seem the way people portray it to be. Doesnt seem evil all that evil. Just over indulgence maybe? We all are guilty of that, well, at least i am a bit.
I put this here because it doesnt seem in the realm of paganism, but, i have a feeling in your search through paganism this must have come up for you.
The impression I have of Laveyan Satanism is that it's a rather harsh, self-centred, atheistic view of the world, which is perfect for some people. I've met some nice Laveyan Satanists and I'm fairly sure it's not 'eeeevil'. As for other forms of Satanism - I don't know enough about them to form a decent opinion.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 07, 2008, 09:07:12 am »

LaVeyan (sp?) Satanism (which is probably what you're referring to) isn't "Evil" per say, but it's also not the ONLY Satanism, just like Wicca isn't the end-all be-all of witchcraft.  As Impqueen said, it is very self-centred (the only god one recognizes is the self) and atheistic.  So, there is no actual Satan or devil in the "religion;" it does not recognize any Deity at all.  However there are many other "flavors" of Satanism, some can be considered "evil" and others, IMHO, not so much.  They all have a range of beliefs, from atheistic to theistic, with various other characteristics.

-Lusi, for whom this is a favorite topic
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 07, 2008, 09:30:46 am »

However there are many other "flavors" of Satanism, some can be considered "evil" and others, IMHO, not so much.

I'm not sure I've come across any 'evil' forms of Satanism.  Are there any in particular that you have in mind?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 07, 2008, 09:34:40 am »

I'm not sure I've come across any 'evil' forms of Satanism.  Are there any in particular that you have in mind?

I guess it depends on who's viewing it, but ToS would be/is considered evil by some.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 07, 2008, 09:34:58 am »

The icky teens that WANT to worship actual evil as a form of rebellion?

They're rare, but they exist.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 07, 2008, 09:38:01 am »

The icky teens that WANT to worship actual evil as a form of rebellion?

They're rare, but they exist.

Aside from the ones with actual mental issues that occasionally go and do something awful, I suspect that most of these kids objectively do zilch.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 07, 2008, 09:52:44 am »

I guess it depends on who's viewing it, but ToS would be/is considered evil by some.
What's ToS? Huh (I only know ST-TOS. Wink )

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 07, 2008, 10:13:17 am »

What's ToS? Huh (I only know ST-TOS. Wink )

Temple of Set.  Conversely, I have no idea what ST-TOS is lol
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 07, 2008, 10:26:15 am »

Temple of Set.  Conversely, I have no idea what ST-TOS is lol

I think that would be Star Trek The Original Series.  *technically* not a form of Satanism.

Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 07, 2008, 11:03:21 am »

I think that would be Star Trek The Original Series.  *technically* not a form of Satanism.

lmao

Ahhh....trekkies...
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 07, 2008, 12:56:42 pm »

I would like to recommend the book: The Birth of Satan: Tracing the Devil's Biblical Roots. by T.J. Wray and Gregorgy Mobley  Although this is a more scholarly book concerning the origins of Satan it is easy to read and entertaining.

It has always seemed to me that since Satan is a product of Judeo-Christian religions it would be a good idea to understand how this entity was conceived and perceived through the ages.

What I have found with some forms of Satanism is that they often involve people who desire to be "bad" or "evil" or rebellious and wish to give a more occult flair to their desires. When I lived in Los Angeles my neighbor had to fend off a knife attack from a teen who had joined a Satanic cult (really just a bunch of bored rich kids) who had to draw blood for advancement. I realize that was Los Angeles and not a good gauge for the norm, but my point is that any group or individual can form a religion with any set of values they choose.

If you are interested in Satan it would serve you better to have a little historical knowledge of his origins. This way you will be able to sort out the occult from the fact for yourself when researching various branches of Satanism.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 07, 2008, 03:21:14 pm »

Not, if you don't count Spock worship.  Tongue

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: December 07, 2008, 05:07:43 pm »

Funky.  Would never have occurred to me.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: December 07, 2008, 05:25:32 pm »

The Temple of Set doesn't strike me as much more "evil" than the Church of Satan.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)